2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Post by sam16111986 »

If there is a high quality centre available who want to come in and work hard (not just turn up for a pay day) then that would be great, there are some exceptional players rumoured to be available. Otherwise I'd only like to see us sign another centre if Allen has to retire (rumours are going round). We've got some good young options coming through I don't see the point in stocking our stable with squad players when they are here.

If we have to wait until next summer to sign the required quality then I am fine with that.

A younger back three option (other than Bell they're all over 25) would be a good signing as we have no immediate academy graduate in the back three.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

sam16111986 wrote:If there is a high quality centre available who want to come in and work hard (not just turn up for a pay day) then that would be great, there are some exceptional players rumoured to be available. Otherwise I'd only like to see us sign another centre if Allen has to retire (rumours are going round). We've got some good young options coming through I don't see the point in stocking our stable with squad players when they are here.

If we have to wait until next summer to sign the required quality then I am fine with that.

A younger back three option (other than Bell they're all over 25) would be a good signing as we have no immediate academy graduate in the back three.
Agreed, Wynand Olivier is a player who's been mentioned and would probably fit that bill. Waiting until next summer does appear to be an option, but not the preferable one, so we'll just have to wait and see.

*I've just seen earlier comments about Olivier- he's a good player, integral to the Bulls winning the Super 12 a few years back, and still has something about him: (that's Fickou he's skinning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmm3wBsqfag Could be a very good option if he's on a one year, or 1+1 contract, before Tigers go into the market for players post-world cup.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Rhys Williams has gone? ie Let go as not good enough/left for home or more opportunities?

JackFlash- I agree, three Fullbacks seems like enough.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think Rhys Williams most likely have left for a Welsh region (he was in the Wales U20 6N squad) also more chance of game time there.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Saints have reportedly signed 2 world class players, with one being upper echelon. If that is true and we have signed Olivier and some others, I think it's fair to say we might struggle even more next season.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

It's worth remembering that both Loamanu and Bai are very capable centres, and although Bai is, indeed, 36, since his return from injury (and apart from that card!) he has looked very good both in attack and defence. I would like to think that after next season we will have Catchpole & Roberts ready to be 1st team regulars.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

TigerLad wrote:Saints have reportedly signed 2 world class players, with one being upper echelon. If that is true and we have signed Olivier and some others, I think it's fair to say we might struggle even more next season.
Am very intrigued to see who these are...2 world class players in their current squad would really make them a force even though they have lost Manoa

Surely one is a back rower..Alberts? I hope its not Vermeulen I hope he goes to Toulon for once :smt003
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
TigerLad wrote:Saints have reportedly signed 2 world class players, with one being upper echelon. If that is true and we have signed Olivier and some others, I think it's fair to say we might struggle even more next season.
Am very intrigued to see who these are...2 world class players in their current squad would really make them a force even though they have lost Manoa

Surely one is a back rower..Alberts? I hope its not Vermeulen I hope he goes to Toulon for once :smt003
Vermuleun has apparently opted out of his contract with the SARU, so he is available. What I don't understand is that ourselves and Saints are similar clubs in that we don't have a sugar daddy, yet they are signing players like North, Corbisiero and these 2 new players and we are stuck with projects and a few super rugby players. If they can attract those types of players surely we could/should be aswell?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I'd still back a fully fit Tigers squad to outshine Saints, even if they have some sprinkles of stardust!
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Just think if you supported another club & they had signed Marcos Ayerza, Tom Youngs, Dan Cole, Graham Kitchener, Owen Williams and Mathew Tait. How happy would you be?
From fully fit & firing squads who would you want from Saints?North?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerLad wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:

Vermuleun has apparently opted out of his contract with the SARU, so he is available. What I don't understand is that ourselves and Saints are similar clubs in that we don't have a sugar daddy, yet they are signing players like North, Corbisiero and these 2 new players and we are stuck with projects and a few super rugby players. If they can attract those types of players surely we could/should be aswell?
We spend our cap differently. Saints have a smaller first team squad bolstered by development squad. In that smaller squad there are much bigger signings.

We don't have the big signings because we a) have a better squad in terms of depth and b) have bigger internally generated names on the payroll. They have no Cole or Youngs brothers etc.

Cockers has said we're after a top drawer signing but it has to be the right one. That's fair enough. Look at the amount of cash Ulster have agreed to pay Piatau, that's paying well over the odds.

Worth noting that Saints won :censored: all last year even with their big names. Corbs barely played and seemed in real threat of losing his place to Waller.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Surely one is a back rower..Alberts? I hope its not Vermeulen I hope he goes to Toulon for once :smt003[/quote]

Vermuleun has apparently opted out of his contract with the SARU, so he is available. What I don't understand is that ourselves and Saints are similar clubs in that we don't have a sugar daddy, yet they are signing players like North, Corbisiero and these 2 new players and we are stuck with projects and a few super rugby players. If they can attract those types of players surely we could/should be aswell?[/quote]

We spend our cap differently. Saints have a smaller first team squad bolstered by development squad. In that smaller squad there are much bigger signings.

We don't have the big signings because we a) have a better squad in terms of depth and b) have bigger internally generated names on the payroll. They have no Cole or Youngs brothers etc.

Cockers has said we're after a top drawer signing but it has to be the right one. That's fair enough. Look at the amount of cash Ulster have agreed to pay Piatau, that's paying well over the odds.

Worth noting that Saints won :censored: all last year even with their big names. Corbs barely played and seemed in real threat of losing his place to Waller.[/quote]

They did come top of the league by a clear margin TBF, that's something we haven't done in 4 or so years so let's not diminish it. I'm not saying we should go out and splash the cash on any old player but when Northampton can find two players, apparently we will be "amazed" by one of them, it must surely make you slightly anxious when the club is hinting that we might wait until next summer to sign a "marquee player".
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Farmboy wrote:Just think if you supported another club & they had signed Marcos Ayerza, Tom Youngs, Dan Cole, Graham Kitchener, Owen Williams and Mathew Tait. How happy would you be?
From fully fit & firing squads who would you want from Saints?North?
I'd take Lawes, Wood, Foden, North and potentially these 2 new signings aswell. But I bet a Saint would say they'd only want Ayerza, Cole, YBY, Manu and Niki. Manoa is a big loss for them but if they can replace him with a Falateau or Vermuluen (rumoured signings) I think they will be stronger next year. I don't think we will be TBH, maybe the season after but this next season could be difficult.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Who would you drop from Slater/Kitchener for Lawes? Be nice for a bench option though. Wood over Croft? I know Croft has had injuries but I said fit & firing. Foden over Tait I can see but very little in it either way.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

JackFlashJonny wrote:

I hope it's not Manu!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Manu has a year left on his contract. Saints would need to spend big to buy him out of his contract and then sign him to a long term deal. Unlikely.

Saints topped the league but overtaxed their small squad meaning they struggled towards the end of the season culminating in a loss to Sarries. Rightly or wrongly finishing top of the league means nothing other than a home semi. They would probably benefit more from one big signing and two good quality squad players.

I don't see us struggling if we have a fit squad for a change. Pound for pound we're a match for any team when at full strength.