Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 4

Post by sam16111986 »

kornboy130 wrote:
trendylfj wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:Fitzgerald, Williams and Barrow are all "in" as locks trendy - not quite the imbalance you had feared Trendy.
It says that Williams is a "flanker" and there is no mention of Barrow. I believe Williams can play in both but where do you get Barrow from please.
Williams is a lokc-cum-flanker - even if we view him as more of a 6 we can play him there. Like Slater can cover 6 aptly.

Barrow was mentioned in the Rugby paper as a definite and across a fair few forums - I would say we can be confident of his arrival.
I think Williams will play six next season. He's an ideal alternative to Crofty in that he is a decent jumper in the line out and is mobile enough to get round the park. Work rare won't drop and whilst his speed and skills aren't at the Croft level he's a much bigger hitter in defence and attack. I honestly think we'll be calling him our best signing of the off season.

Mentioning the injury dispensation and general salary cap surplus. The squad is looking pretty good is we can wait until after the RWC we might be in a chance to pick up a quality player. That would mean they'll have missed pre season which isn't ideal.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kornboy130 wrote:
trendylfj wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:Fitzgerald, Williams and Barrow are all "in" as locks trendy - not quite the imbalance you had feared Trendy.
It says that Williams is a "flanker" and there is no mention of Barrow. I believe Williams can play in both but where do you get Barrow from please.
Williams is a lokc-cum-flanker - even if we view him as more of a 6 we can play him there. Like Slater can cover 6 aptly.

Barrow was mentioned in the Rugby paper as a definite and across a fair few forums - I would say we can be confident of his arrival.
From what I hear he is more of a 6 that plays Lock.

Wuss fans reckon he is more of a 6.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

RagingBull wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
trendylfj wrote:

From what I hear he is more of a 6 that plays Lock.

Wuss fans reckon he is more of a 6.
He was a full-time lock right up until part-way through his first season with Worcester. They signed him as a lock.

He may be a bit short for the position at the top level and may have now found his best position at 6, but he's clearly still an option in the second row. All he needs to be is good cover, as with Kitch, Slater, de Chaves and Fitzgerald as full time locks I reckon we are fairly well stocked. Even Barrow would strike me as an unnecessary (though welcome) signing.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Valhalla I am coming!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Top 14 Transfer deadline @ midnight tonight.

Will be interesting to see who isn't signed up by then.

JJ moving from Sarries to Wasps.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Johnstone to Wasps, good signing for Wasps, strange one for Sarries, who does that leave them with? Figallo, Petrus Du Plesis....?
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

They also have Longbottom, who was first choice at the start of the season until he got injured. Then they have Biyi Alo, the ENG U20 tighthead as academy back-up.

JJ was probably being overpaid given that Sarries had to make a good offer to poach him from Quins, but as he barely starts they are probably keen to get his salary off the books and stick with the three tightheads they already have.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Paul O'Connell confirmed to Toulon after the WC.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Duane Vermeulen also off to Toulon, this sort of all star recruitment is surely going to damage French rugby, be interesting to see how they get on in the World Cup!!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

baz1664 wrote:Duane Vermeulen also off to Toulon, this sort of all star recruitment is surely going to damage French rugby, be interesting to see how they get on in the World Cup!!
I think that particular horse has bolted. It already has damaged French rugby.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Iain wrote:
baz1664 wrote:Duane Vermeulen also off to Toulon, this sort of all star recruitment is surely going to damage French rugby, be interesting to see how they get on in the World Cup!!
I think that particular horse has bolted. It already has damaged French rugby.
aren't they now looking at some sort of quota system?
cheers
Rich
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

In the Tigers News section Gary Sherrard under the "Front Row Duo join Italy Squad" states Castro "joins Toulouse from Toulon" he is actually joining Racing Metro 92 as featured on this great thread by RB.
see current list of movers :-
http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/34 ... rs-2015-16
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Puts to bed saints rumours.

Be interesting to see who they get at 8.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Carl Fearns ---> Lyon
Falateu ----> Bath

Nothing confirmed but bath fans seem pretty certain of it.

Salary cap what salary cap.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

An odd move for Fearns, he has been on the verge of the England squad for some time, maybe he feels with Burgess showing up he won't ever get a chance with Bath or England now