Are Leicester Tigers in decline?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Are Leicester Tigers in decline?

Post by TigerCam »

Both IMO have very valid points. Yesterdays game was the Tigers of old but why should it take a game as important as this to finally show it? Does it take the fear of losing and become one of the seasons 'also rans' to instil fear into the side that they go out and put in such a dominate performance?

Each game, no matter what, should be played with the same mental and physical attitude. I do not doubt the Tiger physicallity for one moment but maybe their mental attributes are in need of some adjustment? It shows that the talent is there but maybe the mental direction isn't?

Performances like that of yesterday and the one that will be required on Saturday, send the message to opponents that if you want it you are going to have to work very hard to get it. Sowing seeds of doubt into the opponents minds before and during the game are essential. If the Tigers play that well on Saturday they will beat the Saints. It should instil a measure of doubt in the Saints minds that come the play-offs at FG they are vulnerable? As the article says the Tigers Fear factor is missing. Clubs do not mind coming to WR anymore, nor do they IMO worry about the Tigers visiting their patch anymore.

The Tigers played so well yesterday in defence. Burns played a blinder sweeping up after Bai went to the bin. I have never seen that from Burns ever, either in a Glaws or Tigers shirt? Backs against the wall it is flight or fight. The Tigers have always known how to fight it is just a matter of doing it hard enough to unsettle the opponents.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Tigers again at Twickers this year! After Saturday it is really so do-able!! :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote:I though Moore wrote a brilliant article on Leicester (After the Glous game at Kingsholm)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... actor.html

Reading it again i think he was on point.
I think it was a valid point when it was written, but I suspect other teams will look at the situation differently now.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:No that isn't what I meant, but never mind.

I wouldn't expect you to look objectively at what Healey has written (we all know his views on Tigers can be skewed, especially since I posted the links), but it would also be foolish to ignore core content, which is essentially correct. Tigers have either stayed still or regressed, while others have made tangible progress. This has been a fundamental failing of the club.

Who is to blame is debateable. The fact that it is happening is not.
Obviously that's not what you meant.

When reading Healey the problem isn't my objectivity, as you point out, and then do your best to ignore. I like Brian Moore but let's stay current rather than looking at what was virtual chip paper long ago. The fact is that the playing field is being continually levelled. Tigers could have done better but they could have done a lot worse in the modern environment. It's a shame there are those who can't celebrate, not just the victory at the weekend, but the way in which it was won.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote:

I wouldn't expect you to look objectively at what Healey has written (we all know his views on Tigers can be skewed, especially since I posted the links), but it would also be foolish to ignore core content, which is essentially correct. Tigers have either stayed still or regressed, while others have made tangible progress. This has been a fundamental failing of the club.

When reading Healey the problem isn't my objectivity, as you point out, and then do your best to ignore. I like Brian Moore but let's stay current rather than looking at what was virtual chip paper long ago. The fact is that the playing field is being continually levelled. Tigers could have done better but they could have done a lot worse in the modern environment. It's a shame there are those who can't celebrate, not just the victory at the weekend, but the way in which it was won.
Ah....but who's said it wasn't? I was sceptical that a win was possible at the weekend. It was a good game and I can assure you, I was suitably impressed with the result.

However, it does ask the question, and others have asked it here, why can they not play like that every time? There is absolutely no reason why they can't, and this is what fans find so frustrating.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:
h's dad wrote:

Ah....but who's said it wasn't? I was sceptical that a win was possible at the weekend. It was a good game and I can assure you, I was suitably impressed with the result.

However, it does ask the question, and others have asked it here, why can they not play like that every time? There is absolutely no reason why they can't, and this is what fans find so frustrating.
I was also sceptical before the game. I was also sceptical at kick off, half time and two minutes from the end. It is frustrating that we don't get this every week but really, there are reasons that we don't. It would be great to have performances like this at least a bit more often though.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

There are several very good reasons why they can't. For a start in a decently competitive league, nobody can. Saints have put in several mediocre performances. I presume the question you and others wanted to ask is why haven't we played like that more often. Which, TBH, is still rather vain and simplistic.

Defensively I would argue that we have played like that most of the season. We have the joint lowest tries conceded in the league and we are 4th in the league on points conceded. And that includes the 45-0 Bath debacle.

Do we want talk about injuries again...

The one thing I would agree on is why we haven't been as good at finishing try scoring opportunities as we were on Saturday? I doubt there is a single reason.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:
There are several very good reasons why they can't. For a start in a decently competitive league, nobody can. Saints have put in several mediocre performances. I presume the question you and others wanted to ask is why haven't we played like that more often. Which, TBH, is still rather vain and simplistic.

Defensively I would argue that we have played like that most of the season. We have the joint lowest tries conceded in the league and we are 4th in the league on points conceded. And that includes the 45-0 Bath debacle.

The one thing I would agree on is why we haven't been as good at finishing try scoring opportunities as we were on Saturday? I doubt there is a single reason.
Even though it should not be expected that Saturday's result will always be replicated, it is an not unreasonable assumption that the team should be able to replicate the enthusiasm, passion, work rate and basic rugby nous of Saturday's performance.

They have consistently failed in this respect.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Roly wrote:He may have an axe to grind, but its painfully truthful reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... f-yet.html
The article was written over 6 month's ago
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

dunks43 wrote:
Roly wrote:He may have an axe to grind, but its painfully truthful reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... f-yet.html
The article was written over 6 month's ago
Well spotted..... the other one was much more recent, but they correlate quite well.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:
ourla wrote:

Even though it should not be expected that Saturday's result will always be replicated, it is an not unreasonable assumption that the team should be able to replicate the enthusiasm, passion, work rate and basic rugby nous of Saturday's performance.

They have consistently failed in this respect.
"consistently failed"? I would strongly disagree. Often failed? Definitely. The lack of consistency has been one of the issues.