Tait might not be off? Now staying!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Tait might not be off? Now staying!!!

Post by RagingBull »

According to TRP he has a relegation clause with Bayonne, it is suggested that he might be staying.

Interesting with his recent form would allow us to spend big at 12 and get a back rower to replace Salvi properly.

Or do people feel we need to go for a 15.

With Dagg, Jane and Smith not out of contract till end of next season or the season it could work.

All if's and buts.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tait might not be off?

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

I appreciate this is all TRP speculation at the moment, however ...

If Bayonne are relegated, I personally would have mixed feelings about Mathew Tait staying at Leicester. On one hand I am fully aware of what he brings to the game and he can be a match-winner. However, on the other hand, he has said he is off to France at the end of the season. I would be somewhat reluctant to take him back because, in essence, he is saying he wants to play top flight club rugby and Bayonne is his first choice but Leicester would suffice if Bayonne end up in the Pro D2. I don't want Leicester to be anybody's second choice or fallback option.

Can we afford to hold off looking for another 15 to replace him until the Top 14 final places are decided? This could end up as another Julian Salvi situation if we're not careful.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:I appreciate this is all TRP speculation at the moment, however ...

If Bayonne are relegated, I personally would have mixed feelings about Mathew Tait staying at Leicester. On one hand I am fully aware of what he brings to the game and he can be a match-winner. However, on the other hand, he has said he is off to France at the end of the season. I would be somewhat reluctant to take him back because, in essence, he is saying he wants to play top flight club rugby and Bayonne is his first choice but Leicester would suffice if Bayonne end up in the Pro D2. I don't want Leicester to be anybody's second choice or fallback option.

Can we afford to hold off looking for another 15 to replace him until the Top 14 final places are decided? This could end up as another Julian Salvi situation if we're not careful.
It has been hinted we would wait until next season to sign a marquee if the right player is not available - Saracens are doing the same I believe. If this is the case a 1 year deal might not present such a problem - and give us chance to keep a quality option whilst we source another.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I think that Bayonne was a lifestyle change/pension top-up move. Would be happy to have him stay, but would guess that he would look to go to France the following season.
MJB

Post by MJB »

Didn't we sign a replacement for him last week? Peter Betham?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Betham is a winger primarily, not a full back.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:Betham is a winger primarily, not a full back.
Based on our current resources and his involvement yesterday, perhaps we should class Tait as a centre?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:Betham is a winger primarily, not a full back.
And hence more of a Scully/Hamilton replacement...
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This is an interesting story..

In the Top 14 two teams get relegated, Lyon are already dead and buried and it is between Castres, Grenoble, Bayonne and Brive who goes down in that one spot..

Bayonne have less wins than the others but currently 1 more point that Castres and Grenoble who go to Toulon and have Clermont at home respectively..

Bayonne go to Montpellier who have nothing to play for as far as I am aware unless Euro qualification?

Brive go to Toulouse so given French rugby you would say Castres look likely to go down..

Still will be interesting don't really know how I feel about it..One thing I would say is Tait is a class player but don't think I would be comfortable with him being here as a second choice..
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He probably would no longer command the same salary here - if the budget has been spent why would the club rearrange its finances to accommodate a player who had decided to leave?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Becuase the budget might not have been spent - we've made no secret of wanting to wait for the right player at the right price to become available.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

I'd be happy enough for him to stay, with a lengthy run of fitness he's undoubtedly found his best form for us.....playing helps of course!!....he's probably been our most creative player in attack this season, with that he's been the biggest threat offensively and in my opinion clearly an intelligent player who reads the game very well. If given the opportunity to play with a consistent 9/10/12/13 axis then he could be outstanding....IMHO
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great player, great attitude this season so if, and it is a huge IF, Bayonne are relegated then it would be a bonus for Tigers if he stayed.
The only back recently to know what running lines are!! Why wouldn't we want him?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I would welcome Mathew Tait if he decided to stay but he now has serious competition for the no. 15 shirt from Niall Morris and Bell.
Perhaps we could use him as cover for our centres, because although
slightly built he has a very good rugby brain and still at 28 he can turn on the afterburners if speed is required. But like him, I would sooner be a Tigers substitute rather than playing in the French second tier.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Bayonne have just dropped into the bottom 2 are are away to Bordeux-Begles next week. Be interesting to see what happens. I for one would love him to stay, he is a bit better than 'cover for our centres!'