Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

The Armitage Question rumbles on

Post by jgriffin »

http://tinyurl.com/nevl8rz

Courtesy of Australia, of course. Once again the two camps are irreconcilable, pick the best team possible, pick the best team from the AP or do it the Lancaster way and pick people you like regardless of form.
:smt015
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Armitage Question rumbles on

Post by Sajerj »

Seems he was not deemed good enough for the European semi final against Leinster.

Six nations England went with form. Haskell, Nowell, Joseph, Ford, Watson, Ben Youngs. Burelll is probably the only one to argue about. Lawes and Parling returned when they proved form and fitness.

I have no clue why they don't pick Armitage regardless as he moved to Toulon before the rule came about. That certainly should be enough circumstance to be exempt.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

No Armitage what so ever.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

The person who used to do the PA announcements down in Bedford is moving into the world of rugby journalism. He put this articlof his on Twitter this week and I think it shows why it is good that Lancaster does not pick Armitage as once something has been opened it is much harder to close it.
https://samrobertsrugby.wordpress.com/2 ... to-listen/
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Mr Bean wrote:The person who used to do the PA announcements down in Bedford is moving into the world of rugby journalism. He put this articlof his on Twitter this week and I think it shows why it is good that Lancaster does not pick Armitage as once something has been opened it is much harder to close it.
https://samrobertsrugby.wordpress.com/2 ... to-listen/
Good article. Good on Lancaster. I'm hugely impressed by the way that the RFU and Premier League Rugby manage their conflicts of interest. We should be the envy of all other domestic leagues.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sjm »

No way should he play for England just a couple of points 1st who would you drop Robshaw (capt), Wood, or Vunipola? and the second point being that I think he has just signed a new contract for Toulon
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We will see by November just how much the envy of others countries etc we are. My Saint-in-law has money on england not getting out of the pool; a bit cynical, as I think they'll qualify second and then get spanked in the KO stage.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

IMHO the WC will not be lost through the non selection of Armitage as an "exceptional circumstance". It is more likely to be lost through the selection of Faslet and Barrit though nepotism.
Still keeping the faith!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

jgriffin wrote:We will see by November just how much the envy of others countries etc we are. My Saint-in-law has money on england not getting out of the pool; a bit cynical, as I think they'll qualify second and then get spanked in the KO stage.
I haven't passed any comment pertaining to England being the envy of anyone. Just the domestic league set up.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

L Smith wrote:
jgriffin wrote:We will see by November just how much the envy of others countries etc we are. My Saint-in-law has money on england not getting out of the pool; a bit cynical, as I think they'll qualify second and then get spanked in the KO stage.
I haven't passed any comment pertaining to England being the envy of anyone. Just the domestic league set up.
Very valid comment L. Smith. Both Northern and Southern Hemisphere Nations might well be in envy of English Rugby's relationship between its Clubs and Union.
Still keeping the faith!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Steffon Armitage was on the longlist for European player of the year in 2013, won it in 2014 and is on the shortlist in 2015.

Can't help but feel it is a shame that we probably won't see him at the RWC, it ought to be the stage for all the best players in the world to be seen in action.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

drc_007 wrote: it ought to be the stage for all the best players in the world to be seen in action.
Unless they are New Zealanders, until recently Australians, Welsh (questionably) or English.
Still keeping the faith!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I wonder if they could change the rule so that foreign based players over 29 years old could be considered for national selection for World Cups only. This means that young English talent would be required to stay in the domestic league and for international games like AI's and 6N's English based players would get priority. If however you were in a WC year then players like Geoff Parling could opt to do his last contract in France to top up the pension knowing that he would still be eligible for this one off tournament. It is sort of a loyalty system that works both ways. Give your best playing days in the English league and the national team won't discount you if you have a few years in the sun at the end of your career. Just a thought.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Has anyone heard the rumour that a certain Mr Armitage is coming back to England as a Marquee signing?
Yesterday at a local mini rugby match, several people were talking about it, but I thought that he had signed a 2 year contract extension at Toulon.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If picking on form wouldn't Kvesic be ahead of Armitage at the present time?