Team V London Welsh.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Team V London Welsh.

Post by tigerburnie »

Not seen the match, but well done on the result, I am still a tad confused as to some of the selections as you would assume the team sheet next week will look very different. How did our pack perform in the tight?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I believe the result a least guarantees us top class European rugby next season?
Valhalla I am coming!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

tigerburnie wrote:Not seen the match, but well done on the result, I am still a tad confused as to some of the selections as you would assume the team sheet next week will look very different. How did our pack perform in the tight?
Next week expect 23 changes!! :smt003
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

fleabane wrote:I believe the result a least guarantees us top class European rugby next season?
Yes it does. Sale are in 7th place with 2 matches to go and 11 points behind us. That should silence the doom and gloom merchants. :smt002
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
fleabane wrote:I believe the result a least guarantees us top class European rugby next season?
Yes it does. Sale are in 7th place with 2 matches to go and 11 points behind us. That should silence the doom and gloom merchants. :smt002
:smt043 :smt044

You must be kidding :smt003. I know you put a :smt002 on the end but...

There are some on this forum who, even if we won the LV=, AP and Champions Cup, would find something to moan about - player recruitment/retention, our playing style, use of academy players, I could go on.

You can satisfy some of the people all of the time, but you can never satisfy some people at any time.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="tigerburnie"]Not seen the match, but well done on the result, I am still a tad confused as to some of the selections as you would assume the team sheet next week will look very different. How did our pack perform in the tight?[/quote]

Poor game TB - you didn't miss much.We started well with Ben Youngs waltzing through a gap as wide as the Mersey, but it went downhill from there, at least until some of the subs came on. Too many handling errors, and a general lack of accuracy and direction, not helped by an inconsistent, whistle-happy ref.

The pack in the tight got pinged quite a lot, with Rizzo the main culprit - not one of his best games. It got better when the replacements came on, and Welsh tired. As others have said, Pearce had a good game. He carried well, and made lots of ground. He got up from the Hafalua hit, but soon after went off with what looked like a shoulder problem.

We got 5 points, so job done in that sense. It seems that we have maintained our great record of qualifying for the main Euro competition which is some achievement given the disruptive season on and off the pitch. However, currently we look anything but a top 4 team.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
Never! 5th or 6th was as much as our play deserved! Getting into the top 4 would be a bit cheeky. I'll take it! But it would be cheeky.

If we are going to be considered as a top flight side we need to shape up!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Blimey, We must have been bad, i thought diabolical, but even they think they were bad, i have just opened an email from them saying. " they are selling off the kit cheap and that training ends on Monday" :smt045

After that performance they should be training till the cows come home! :smt005
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

5 points was the only positive from that game.

I think we have found our level. I don't know how many internationals we played but quite frankly the first half was abysmal and the second not much better.

There is a thought that as successful players or teams come to the natural end of their time they only raise their game for the big matches and do what they need to for the rest. Eventually teams and individuals find that raising their game for the big games (end of season, play offs, Europe) isn't enough and normal is a step or two down from from where they need to be.

This is a side in need of rebuilding. At least Europe is secure but in some ways I hope that we miss the play offs if only to act as a wake up call that we are we are behind the best.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Hope not, as an ex Pro sportsman, we are still in the mix , albeit with a lot of luck.4 wins and we are Champions...

We have the best front row anywhere.

Plus MOST IMPORTANTLY we have a number of players quite capable of raising their game for the next 4 massive occasions !?...

Come on you Tigers !!!
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Hinckley Bob wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
There are some on this forum who, even if we won the LV=, AP and Champions Cup, would find something to moan about - player recruitment/retention, our playing style, use of academy players, I could go on.

You can satisfy some of the people all of the time, but you can never satisfy some people at any time.
I consider myself to be closer to the "Happy Clapper" tendency but this is not the week to defend our performance. It was awful! Even the second half improvement was mainly on the scoreboard and due to the wind direction and the tiring 14 man Welsh.
I have tickets for the Ricoh but am expecting the worst.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Yet another dire performance which highlighted the lack of cohesion and attacking ability that we've had all season. You could argue that it was due to yet another shift around in the back line, but that shouldn't make much of a difference between these 2 sides.

Match summarised by the same old rhetoric from Cockers, which also shows his lack of ability.

As for those that boo their own team, bog off to the football stadiums where that is accepted, pathetic.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

i also think though we were not the best LW were spoiling it too, slow to line outs and scrums etc. and personnally I don't think LW are as bad as there results..

but tigers need to do better, play like that against wasps and we'll get beaten.
cheers
Rich
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The team and management ought to be ashamed. No invention, no support running, no sign of a clinical and ruthless streak that saw the likes of Wasps put nearly 80 points on London Welsh.

This is a London Welsh team with nothing to play for but pride and a negative points difference that defies belief - yet still they made Tigers look ordinary.

Away to Wasps and then home to Saints.... good bye playoffs.

And its all very well saying Tigers have qualified for top flight European rugby again next season - so what? Carry on playing like this and ignominious exit from the group stages is inevitable, when it seems like they can hardly cope with fighting on multiple fronts. The league MUST be a priority next year.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:Yet another dire performance which highlighted the lack of cohesion and attacking ability that we've had all season. You could argue that it was due to yet another shift around in the back line, but that shouldn't make much of a difference between these 2 sides.

Match summarised by the same old rhetoric from Cockers, which also shows his lack of ability.

As for those that boo their own team, bog off to the football stadiums where that is accepted, pathetic.
Must agree, we were rubbish in that first half, possibly the worse 40 minutes I have seen in a very long time, but to boo your team off!!!!!
I know we pays our money so were entitled to an opinion, but if you are looking for confidence boosting and help your team get back into a game, booing, no.
Mind you I think the lads would take the booing rather than what they faced in the dressing room at half time.