Team V London Welsh.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Team V London Welsh.

Post by Iain »

Interesting team. Not weakened but certainly different. Retrospectively you wonder whether Tait at 13 could have been an option earlier in the season.

Obviously Morris at 15 is with the intention of having in effect three wingers in attack. Will probably interchange with Scully.

Surprised to see no Loamanu again after what had been said in the week. I wonder when we actually will him.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's a good side, but I don't quite understand the logic behind it, however in the team I trust.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

darganj wrote:For the lazy

"Despite measuring a towering 6ft 6in, Croft was second in Leicester's speed charts only to Tom Varndell, the England Sevens flier who has now joined Wasps. "He's electrically quick and would be a match for most backs in world rugby, even the very fastest," said Back. "The way the game is played in South Africa and the fast tracks you play on, Tom's speed and his ability in a line-out would certainly have put him in my 22 if not my starting 15."
As I said, my info came from a period when TV was there, I would suspect 2006ish.
Team looks a bit interesting, weird though that Tait now being played at 13 when he was available during our difficult times; many of us posted questioning why not, so we may get answers today (if he's pants).
Last chance for me and Mrs G to see Thorn play, have enjoyed his cameos, real quality.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Who is Loamanu :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

This is a very interesting team.

For the right reasons IMO

Great to see catchpole, Pearce start really happy.

Very excited actually.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

sapajo wrote:Who is Loamanu :smt017
a). An international standard big lump of an outside centre who is fit and ready to play, who needs game time if he is to feature at all this season and who was we believe signed to provide line breaks when Manu was not available.
b). A waste of valuable salary cap.
Answers on a postcard to Welford Road please :smt009
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Somewhat surprising selections in the backs.

Matt Smith said earlier in the week (about him and Bai) "We definitely feel we're getting there as a pair but we're not quite there yet. It takes probably five or six games playing 80 minutes with each other."

Smith not in the 23, Bai benched. No Lower Manu, Tait moved to midfield for the first time in a long time.

I guess it's a 23 to get it done in this game. But it seems a strange move at this stage of the season. Still, you can't say the coaches aren't happy to shake things up!

Kind of wish I was going but Saints v Saracens down the road with a couple of mates was too good to pass up.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

The word I'd use for the team (especially 11-15) is experimental! But then again we are at home to the whipping boys of the AP so maybe now is the time to experiment.

Not going tomorrow - at the races for a nice change. Fingers crossed the team gel quick and get off to a rapid try-scoring start. 3-3 after 20 minutes and I fear the natives will be seriously restless!

Latest weather forecast on BBC: mild, light showers from mid-afternoon so it shouldn't hamper our new back-line too much!

Enjoy all… especially the two of you on the terrace that kindly took my SH tickets for £10 each.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Iain wrote:Obviously Morris at 15 is with the intention of having in effect three wingers in attack. Will probably interchange with Scully.

Surprised to see no Loamanu again after what had been said in the week. I wonder when we actually will play him.
Really? I think Morris' best position is likely to be fullback: he's a good footballer and very good in the air, but not lightning quick nor a great finisher, a lot like Geordan in that way, to be honest.

Hmm, looks to me like we're trying something different against Welsh, more along the lines of speed and guile rather than smashing holes.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

youngtiger wrote:
Iain wrote:Obviously Morris at 15 is with the intention of having in effect three wingers in attack. Will probably interchange with Scully.

Surprised to see no Loamanu again after what had been said in the week. I wonder when we actually will play him.
Really? I think Morris' best position is likely to be fullback: he's a good footballer and very good in the air, but not lightning quick nor a great finisher, a lot like Geordan in that way, to be honest.

Hmm, looks to me like we're trying something different against Welsh, more along the lines of speed and guile rather than smashing holes.
this could be it, i seem to remember Tait beating a few defenders by 'stopping' and watching them 'fall' at his feet, so maybe guile/style is preferred to smash/bash

i do wander where little manu is though..
cheers
Rich
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

'…..not lightning quick nor a great finisher, a lot like Geordan in that way, to be honest.'

You must truly be a YOUNGtiger! :smt043
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Granby wrote:
sapajo wrote:Who is Loamanu :smt017
a). An international standard big lump of an outside centre who is fit and ready to play, who needs game time if he is to feature at all this season and who was we believe signed to provide line breaks when Manu was not available.
b). A waste of valuable salary cap.
Answers on a postcard to Welford Road please :smt009
Just one question - since Loamanu spent his international career playing on the wing, his time at Toulon playing on the wing, and his time at Treviso playing in the back row.... why is it taken as gospel that he's an outside centre?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Because he plays 13 as well.

He also says he likes playing 13.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I wouldn't be confident with that team if it wasn't London Welsh. However I expect a big win. Anything less is a failure.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

KevinR wrote:'…..not lightning quick nor a great finisher, a lot like Geordan in that way, to be honest.'

You must truly be a YOUNGtiger! :smt043
My thoughts exactly.. :smt023

Loamanu was signed as 13 cover he is as close as you can get to a Manu style replacement not that we have seen such yet..