Terracing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DanBono

Terracing

Post by DanBono »

I will be at the London Welsh game on Saturday and for the first time I will be standing, my missus and I would like to lean on the barrier so how early would you recommend I get there to get a good barrier leaning spot?
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Terracing

Post by daktari »

about an hour before to get a 'leaning position'
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Gates open 2 hours before kick off and there are some who queue outside for hours before that, to get the prime positions at the front.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Before I got my first season ticket years ago, I used to frequent the crumbie in the leaning position and found after about season 2000/2001 that I had to get their at least 75 minutes before kick off to be sure of my position, except in the middle of winter when the terraces were thinly populated.
Reggie
Tiger Cub

Post by Reggie »

For busy games, 90 minutes before kick off should do it.

Good luck
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Personally I think the front row should be for children allowed to the front

In that, I mean, people who have turned up at a reasonable hour, with their kids

I think if a family turn up an hour or even 45 mins before kick off then the kids should be allowed to the front

I find it a bit odd that a family can turn up 1 hour before kick off with a couple of kids to find the fence lined with large adults refusing to let them in - frankly it's shows a rather selfish attitude that I would rather hope we did not have in the Tigers fraternity.

Whilst people used to be always very kind in this direction , increasingly I observe this is not the case

True it could be said they should have come earlier - but how long is it reasonable to keep children out warm and entertained on a terrace.

Unless adults have some disability and need the barrier for support why can they not stand on the second or third step?
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

mightymouse wrote:Personally I think the front row should be for children allowed to the front

In that, I mean, people who have turned up at a reasonable hour, with their kids

I think if a family turn up an hour or even 45 mins before kick off then the kids should be allowed to the front

I find it a bit odd that a family can turn up 1 hour before kick off with a couple of kids to find the fence lined with large adults refusing to let them in - frankly it's shows a rather selfish attitude that I would rather hope we did not have in the Tigers fraternity.

Whilst people used to be always very kind in this direction , increasingly I observe this is not the case

True it could be said they should have come earlier - but how long is it reasonable to keep children out warm and entertained on a terrace.

Unless adults have some disability and need the barrier for support why can they not stand on the second or third step?
Fair comment, but I don't think Danbono really meant that they wanted to go to the front. I think he means the other barriers that are all over the terrace. An hour prior to kick off should be okay. The front and back of the terrace is the first to fill with all points around the dug out too.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

mightymouse wrote:Personally I think the front row should be for children allowed to the front

The problem, Mightymouse is that adults push their children in front without a "by your leave", and then go to the bar, leaving unsupervised, unruly brats fighting amongst themselves. This is not just an occasional happening with families who are not regular visitors. With them it is no problem, and as the parents and children get known to those around them, a trip to the bar or shop is not a problem.

The issue is a decline in knowing how to behave out in public, I'm afraid, not unsympathetic or unhelpful regulars.
Valhalla I am coming!
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Just get there about 10 mins after kick off with your 12 mates and stand where you like. That's what normally happens.

Wear a large hat too.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fleabane wrote:

The problem, Mightymouse is that adults push their children in front without a "by your leave", and then go to the bar, leaving unsupervised, unruly brats fighting amongst themselves. This is not just an occasional happening with families who are not regular visitors. With them it is no problem, and as the parents and children get known to those around them, a trip to the bar or shop is not a problem.

The issue is a decline in knowing how to behave out in public, I'm afraid, not unsympathetic or unhelpful regulars.
With you there Fleabane. Happens every week, several times with a family who have a red-haired lad who farts incontinently. The usual time is 15 mins before the start, mum pushes the kids towards the front, tutting when those (including the kids already there)give them the refusal. They leave the kids with crisps and phones, and then miraculously disappear until half-time.
The ginger one really pongs BTW - think he gets excited and the crisps, chips, sweets and pop don't help. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I stand with a large group at the front of the terrace. They are queueing a few hours even before the gates open.It happens most games where, approximately 25 minutes before Kick off, adults and families come to the fron and want to go at the front. Not much sympathy given by the group. If you want the front, then you have to arrive early like the rest of them.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Personally, I wouldn't take kids on the terrace. The view for short people is pretty rubbish as the terrace is too shallow.

I was a terrace season ticket holder for years before my Dad decided his back wasn't up to it and we moved to the Members Stand (to hell with your sponsors' names). Until then, I had to take peoples' word for it if something happened on the Crumbie touchline.

From where I sit now, it looks to me like the terrace is usually thinner on the wings than it ever used to be. Just don't expect to get to the middle if you turn up late.

And I have to say, if I'd turned up hours before the gates open (do people really do this!!??) and a family expected to be let to the front having turned up at the last minute then I don't think I could promise I'd let them in either.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Iain. I can assure you that they do arrive hours before the gates open. I have been there 3 and a half hours before a game and there are dedicated fans, who are at nearly every home game, stood waiting to get in,snow, rain or shine - the weather does not stop them!!
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:Iain. I can assure you that they do arrive hours before the gates open. I have been there 3 and a half hours before a game and there are dedicated fans, who are at nearly every home game, stood waiting to get in,snow, rain or shine - the weather does not stop them!!
I too can vouch for this. I walk past the turnstiles before the gates open - on my way to Nandos - and there are always lots of people queuing at both ends.
Still keeping the faith!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Iain. I can assure you that they do arrive hours before the gates open. I have been there 3 and a half hours before a game and there are dedicated fans, who are at nearly every home game, stood waiting to get in,snow, rain or shine - the weather does not stop them!!
I too can vouch for this. I walk past the turnstiles before the gates open - on my way to Nandos - and there are always lots of people queuing at both ends.
I don't understand why anybody would queue for 3 hours in the middle of winter to get a prime standing spot for a game. I admire their ardour and all that. But life is too short for that nonsense. And it's 2015 for goodness sake. I find the terrace at FG works better. For a start it's split into 3 sections so it's naturally spread out from that point of view. And you enter from the front, not the rear. At last years semi I got into the ground 20-30 minutes before kick off and a fairly central spot no probs, even though I was wearing a Tigers shirt! Not sure if it's any better for children mind. And they have occasional issues with people getting in to a section with invalid tickets. But overall definitely much better. Year before when I went to Welford Rd versus Saints, could only get terrace tickets. As it was a boozy lads day we got in a few minutes before kick off and it was a wall of people. I am 6'4" so if I stand on the terrace I want to be at the back but even I was on tip toes some of the time, and I had to tell everyone what was going on. It was rubbish.

I wouldn't take my kids on the terracea at Tigers. They would be bored waiting around for a long time.