Peter Betham

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

catflap
Tiger Cub

Peter Betham

Post by catflap »

Another two this morning, looks excellent, very rapid, good lines and plenty of strength for his second try. Hope we officially announce his signing soon.

Edit

Also great to see Dan Bowden with a tigers gumshield this morning! (pity his kicking is off!)
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peter Betham

Post by MJ Chairman »

O'Connor has looked good for Blues both over the ball and with ball in hand
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Only saw til half time but Auckland looked shocking to me!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Blues have been shocking all season as a unit ATM.

O'Connor looked good though IMO.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

:smt041
catflap wrote:Another two this morning, looks excellent, very rapid, good lines and plenty of strength for his second try. Hope we officially announce his signing soon.

Edit

Also great to see Dan Bowden with a tigers gumshield this morning! (pity his kicking is off!)
:smt038
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Sorry - I can't agree about O'Connor. Most of the time, he just seems to watch the game happening around him. One good turnover at the death, but too little too late. A traditional 7 he is not!
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

KevinR wrote:Sorry - I can't agree about O'Connor. Most of the time, he just seems to watch the game happening around him. One good turnover at the death, but too little too late. A traditional 7 he is not!
I completely agree with this- seen him 4/5 times this season and his approach is very much 'southern hemisphere'. Whether this is why he fancies a couple of seasons here as he feels it will suit him better & he wants to be more confrontational, time will tell. He certainly isn't the Salvi-type 7 and this is where the recruitment so far really worries me. Losing Salvi now hurts but remember Exeter may only get one more prolific season out of him. We have been extremely lucky with JS in that he's almost ever present and always performs. To replace him with someone whom the jury is out with (especially in the absence of serious backup/competition) is a huge risk in my opinion.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

O'Connor struggled to get into the game in the first half when the Blues were losing every collision and he pretty much played as a blind side.

He tracks the gave very well and in the second half as the Blues emptied the bench and brought on their big runners he was much better. When he could compete at the breakdown he gave his scrum half an easy ride and slowed down the opposition. Good discipline and he sniped well from the ruck. I think he'll do better in the slower paced game of the NH. Certainly the Blues are not demonstrating anyone's individual talent at the minute.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote:O'Connor struggled to get into the game in the first half when the Blues were losing every collision and he pretty much played as a blind side.

He tracks the gave very well and in the second half as the Blues emptied the bench and brought on their big runners he was much better. When he could compete at the breakdown he gave his scrum half an easy ride and slowed down the opposition. Good discipline and he sniped well from the ruck. I think he'll do better in the slower paced game of the NH. Certainly the Blues are not demonstrating anyone's individual talent at the minute.
I think this is a fair summary.

Outside Kaino no one is impressing in the blues camp ATM really, Piteau certainly looks like he isn't a 500K player.

The SH style is quicker they don't tend to arm wrestle as much in the rucks, I think he will be suited to the NH more arm wrestle apporach he might not be a sniper like Salvi but TBH not many are.

Not to say i wouldn't mind another 7 but O'Connor i think could very well suit us.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Get young Thacker to bulk up a bit more and we will have a fantastic 7. Good hands,fast to the break down, great step and wonderful energy but most of all a bloke who really wants to wear the shirt.
Salvi has been great but recently, along with Gibbo and Crane too slow to the breakdown, hence good defences are up before the backs know it!!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Whilst our potential new winger scored a couple of good tries was slightly surprised to see him outpaced by fly half Barrett...

Whilst one of the quickest fly halves around it was still a shock!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Whilst our potential new winger scored a couple of good tries was slightly surprised to see him outpaced by fly half Barrett...

Whilst one of the quickest fly halves around it was still a shock!

If you watch it again you see he does have him for speed BUT stumbles a bit whilst adjusting his position to make a tackle.

So would say him not backing himself for the tackle was the biggest thing not getting out paced.

My 2 cents on the play.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Just saw it in passing didn't study it RB but I will take your expert opinion :smt023
DanBono

Post by DanBono »

catflap wrote:Another two this morning, looks excellent, very rapid, good lines and plenty of strength for his second try. Hope we officially announce his signing soon.

Edit

Signing confirmed now on the OS http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/227 ... TTPq2d0zcc
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Thanks Dan great news at only 26 he has some good years ahead and can really light up WR hopefully :smt023