Kings of the North

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Kings of the North

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

I've just checked the small print and evidently it's not compulsory to attend them.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

chipnchase wrote:If the club wanted to do something interesting and get some bodies into Welford Road they could have invite A french Top 14 side (example Racing Metro), A Super Rugby Side (Example Crusaders) and A Japanese Top League side (example Panasonic Wild Cats).

Base them in Leicestershire clubs for say 10 days. and have 3 rounds of 2 games held at Welford Road on A Saturday, Tuesday/Wednesday and a Saturday.
Leagues outwith England will presumably still be running during this period which limits options somewhat.

Given that a similar South West tournament has been announced it seems there's a presumption that Worcester are coming up and hence will be in the Midlands equivalent with Saints and Wasps since my sense of geography tells me that Bristol is south (& possibly west) of Gloucester!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I've just checked the small print and evidently it's not compulsory to attend them.
Correct but it is compulsory that we pay for them whether we attend or not.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

On that premiss shouldn't Saints be included even though they are south of Leicester they do have North in their name?
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

kingneptuneii wrote:2541
chipnchase wrote:
kingneptuneii wrote:if the Trophy presentation doesnt consist of a large number of burly beaded yorkshire men in fur and armour, holdingtheir broadswords in the air and denoucning the RFU for "ruling over us from some flowery seat in the south" and shouting "king of the north! King of the North!" then I will deem the whole exercise a miserable failure
As a Game of Thrones nerd sadly I must correct you as it is in fact 'King in the North', must have changed for copyright reasons ;-)
DAMN! I was hoping I'd be the biggest GoT geek on the forum, and as such my quote would be met with general merriment of those with a passing interest! without anyone reading too far into it! :smt005

aw well, back to my dornish red!
referring to it as Got rather than The Song of Ice and Fire shows you're not a particularly large geek (in this respect at least)

Do you understand R+L=J ?
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Hi, where has the South West tournament been announced? I couldn't se anything on the BBC website or those of Gloucester and Exeter.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Maidman wrote:Hi, where has the South West tournament been announced? I couldn't se anything on the BBC website or those of Gloucester and Exeter.
Two minute google http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Gl ... story.html
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sale, Newcastle and Leicester are the most northerly Premiership teams hence the grouping. The Championship clubs will be playing league matches during the World Cup hence non inclusion. Kings of the North is a ridiculous title dreamt up by some marketing person. The games will be competitive, there is no such thing as a non-competitive game of rugby, each match will provide an opportunity for Tiger's players not involved in the World cup to develop their game and stake a claim for a regular first team place. To play the L.V competition in this period was not possible as whilst the pool matches could have taken place there would be no time for semi-finals and final.
Things are not ideal but I believe the Premiership is making the best of the situation.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
kingneptuneii wrote:
DAMN! I was hoping I'd be the biggest GoT geek on the forum, and as such my quote would be met with general merriment of those with a passing interest! without anyone reading too far into it! :smt005

aw well, back to my dornish red!
referring to it as Got rather than The Song of Ice and Fire shows you're not a particularly large geek (in this respect at least)

Do you understand R+L=J ?
King Neptune,I still met it with general merriment in any case :smt001

R+L=J? It is known. :smt026
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Thanks ourla. I'm guessing then that the other six Premiership clubs will be doing something similar with perhaps three competing as part of a 'London' group and the other three as part of a Midlands group.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

johnthegriff wrote:Sale, Newcastle and Leicester are the most northerly Premiership teams hence the grouping. The Championship clubs will be playing league matches during the World Cup hence non inclusion. Kings of the North is a ridiculous title dreamt up by some marketing person. The games will be competitive, there is no such thing as a non-competitive game of rugby, each match will provide an opportunity for Tiger's players not involved in the World cup to develop their game and stake a claim for a regular first team place. To play the L.V competition in this period was not possible as whilst the pool matches could have taken place there would be no time for semi-finals and final.
Things are not ideal but I believe the Premiership is making the best of the situation.
Hear hear!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Point taken regarding other countries having league commitments.

Could they have potentially looked at a tournament between North / Midlands / South East and South West rep sides being shared around the Prem grounds.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

chipnchase wrote:Could they have potentially looked at a tournament between North / Midlands / South East and South West rep sides being shared around the Prem grounds.
When you say regional 'rep' sides, do you mean teams made up of a combination of:
a) Exeter, Bath & Gloucester
b) Irish, Saracens & Quins
c) Worcester, Northampton & Wasps
d) Leicester, Sale and Newcastle

If so, my question has to be why? In effect, these matches can be viewed as four extra pre-season warm-ups. It'll give the teams more time together before the proper season starts in earnest.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

The 32-30 and 16-12 wins oop north weren't competitive?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I am looking forward to this (Seems i'm in the miniority).

Should be competitive.

Hopefully generate more wonga for the club than what it would have been normally.

Getting a SH team unlikely as there is Currie Cup, ITM cup and Aus have they new domestic Tournament around that time I think also Top league starts in August.