Kings of the North

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Kings of the North

Post by G.K »

Question - what the hell is a club like Tigers doing being involved in this tosh? Have we fallen so low?

PS: For the Geographically challenged producers of this silly video - Leicester is NOT in t'north!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Very odd. Would have been more logical to involve Leeds (or Yorkshire as they are now known). Would have been a good boost for them.

And I will agree with everybody else. Leicester is not North. Sadly the southern suits think the North starts at Watford gap. The south starts around Cheshire
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Seriously though, could this be any less inspiring...? Thankfully I've got RWC on our home games, so just the financial side of things re: season ticket.
Also, I thought The Argentina testimonial was the same weekend of the first game...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

doublecarpet wrote:Seriously though, could this be any less inspiring...? Thankfully I've got RWC on our home games, so just the financial side of things re: season ticket.
Also, I thought The Argentina testimonial was the same weekend of the first game...
And we don't play on that weekend.

TBH i like it although we are not north it gives our Academy and development players a interesting opportunity.

Would prefer a midlands thing.

Saints, Wasps, Tigers, Wuss.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's two home matches during which we'll hopefully get to see a decent blend of the first team squad (who aren't involved in the RWC) and the academy.

Can't complain. :smt001
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

:smt015 :smt015 :smt017
Is this the Norths retribution at loosing out on Richard the Turd?
I think I would prefer to repaint my wheelbarrow in Red , White & Green that weekend. Will we have a team left by then ??
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

This looks like it's going to be a miserable failure....

I think a combined Premiership/Championship competition might have had more draw - the likes of Moseley, Worcester and Bedford making up a Midlands competition with Tigers, Saints and Wasps would create far more interest, I expect. Each side would have 5 games (with the championship sides hosting either 2 or 3 depending on how much gate money is needed) under the usual league format.

Could do the North - Falcons, Sale, Leeds/Carnegie, Rotherham, Doncaster and Nottingham (they are further north than Tigers at least)

West: Gloucester, Bath, Exeter, Bristol, Cornish Pirates and Plymouth.

And "London"(ish): Sarries, Quins, London Scottish, Irish and Welsh. And Jersey.

The regional split doesn't TOTALLY work - Worcester are more west and Nottingham midlands of course, but that would overstock the west and understock the north. And Jersey might as well head to London as anywhere else, until they get relegated.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

I admire Sale and Newcastle as two honest and decent rugby sides. I am proud that we are to be associated with them.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

To be honest don't think there is much wrong with this other than the name. Anything to get away from the over hyped RWC is good for me and "faux" matches are a good way forward.
Lets get a book going on crocked Tigers who won't start the season.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

RagingBull wrote:
doublecarpet wrote:Seriously though, could this be any less inspiring...? Thankfully I've got RWC on our home games, so just the financial side of things re: season ticket.
And we don't play on that weekend.
I didn't mean England games, Fra v Italy and up in Newcastle for the double header in October. (We won't play sunday as Argentina are over the road).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's a stop gap for one year. These are just glorified friendlies.

Playing the top teams would be a mistake as we having new coaching staff and players to blend in. Equally playing Championship sides would have limited draw and may not provide the level of competition required.

I think it does the job. And the good news it doesn't clash with our holiday plans so I can attend both our home matches.

All my northern friends think Leicester is in the South. All my southern friends think Leicester is in the North.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Isn't it just the premiership that has a delayed season due to the RWC. If so how could Championship side play if they are already playing their league?

I don't think it's a bad idea playing a tournament we might actually win, and will probably be a good test for our non internationals and a good test for AM and his team to get the team going.

And yes, Leicester isn't in the north, but there are no other prem teams that could forma championship with Sale and Newcastle. So geographically it make sense, even though a midlands cup would more obvious.

I may be biased though living in Leeds........
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Agreed. Only the name and therefore the marketing of the competition is farcical. There literally isn't a better way to ensure there is meaningful club rugby during the World Cup.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I have an idea. They could have kept the LV cup and just played that at the start of the season. I know there is some ruling about League games not being allowed to be played during the RWC but does this apply for the LV? If they don't want the grounds being used, alternatives could be used (although it's only Wasps, Gloucester and Exeter that couldn't use their grounds but Wasps could use Wycombe, and there are grounds Gloucester and Exeter could use)
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

northerntiger wrote:Leicester is not North. Sadly the southern suits think the North starts at Watford gap. The south starts around Cheshire
Agreed. Chesterfield is in the south, Sheffield is in the North. :smt018
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?