County Cup finals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: County Cup finals

Post by chipnchase »

On a slightly unrelated note Melton RFC attracted a crowd of 700 paying supporters for their national cup semi final against West Leeds RFC on Saturday. A massive achievement for the club and sign that interest in grassroots rugby is still very much alive!

If you would like to know more about Melton RFC you can visit their website here: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/meltonmowbray/
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

h's dad

The Boy Dave wrote:
Never really took that much notice before.

Quote:
I couldn't see clearly the first claims for the Hinckley try but after the play on the ball was definitely grounded over the line. Despite this though, Hinckley fell down in a number of areas and really didn't deserve the win on the day.

Since when did definitely grounding over the line not become deserving of winning a game of rugby that was lost 10-9?

Obstruction? Refereeing errors the other way? Abstract moral claims?
So any reason that can be found really then and hope that one sticks true, I get it. :smt035
Cheery chappy
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

The Boy Dave wrote:
h's dad

The Boy Dave wrote:
Never really took that much notice before.

Quote:
I couldn't see clearly the first claims for the Hinckley try but after the play on the ball was definitely grounded over the line. Despite this though, Hinckley fell down in a number of areas and really didn't deserve the win on the day.

Since when did definitely grounding over the line not become deserving of winning a game of rugby that was lost 10-9?

Obstruction? Refereeing errors the other way? Abstract moral claims?
So any reason that can be found really then and hope that one sticks true, I get it. :smt035
If you get it I don't understand your emoticon. I was cheering for Hinckley and I expect everybody on the terrace heard me telling the ref the ball was down. I think he thought it was good as well until the AR suggested otherwise.
Despite their control of possession and territory Hinckley just didn't seem to have the heart in the game. They've had some superb games this season and this wasn't one of them. Maybe the occasion got to them, which is understandable.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

If you get it I don't understand your emoticon. I was cheering for Hinckley and I expect everybody on the terrace heard me telling the ref the ball was down. I think he thought it was good as well until the AR suggested otherwise.
Despite their control of possession and territory Hinckley just didn't seem to have the heart in the game. They've had some superb games this season and this wasn't one of them. Maybe the occasion got to them, which is understandable.
No problem h's dad, it's no big deal.
I simply didn't get why you felt a team that had scored a perfectly good try in both mine and yours view were not deserving winners in a 10-9 game.
It was a fairly clear cut try to me, regardless of how the game played out elsewhere.
Obviously two good young teams made the final but points are what matter in the end especially in a close fought tense match in that environment for these young ones.
Sorry I meant to add, both teams looked nervous, I didn't see a lack of heart from Hinckley in fact I thought they showed great heart at 10-9 down to score the try that was not given late on, I thought Hinckley were very hard done to!
The emoticon was for when the penny dropped, needing to put a wrong right IMO with any old reason that can be found.
Cheery chappy
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I think emotion got the better of both sides on the night and defences came out on top. Both sides have played high quality rugby over the season and maybe the pressure of playing on the hallowed turf for the big prize was just too much.
As a south fan I can't disagree that taking territory into account Hinckley should have won, but that South side have had a number of close losses over the years so maybe they were due one.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Agree MJ Chairman.
I was told Hinckley had about a dozen U17 players including several who are still only 16 years old, very impressive and will be very strong in the future if they can keep them.
Cheery chappy
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

The Boy Dave wrote:...
It was a fairly clear cut try to me, regardless of how the game played out elsewhere.
Obviously two good young teams made the final but points are what matter in the end especially in a close fought tense match in that environment for these young ones.
Sorry I meant to add, both teams looked nervous, I didn't see a lack of heart from Hinckley in fact I thought they showed great heart at 10-9 down to score the try that was not given late on, I thought Hinckley were very hard done to!
I can quite believe that the AR saw something by Hinckley, either accidental or intentional, to cause the try to be denied. What I don’t know but surely it is unfair on the AR to assume otherwise. Hinckley’s other close try scoring opportunity was the penalty right in front of the posts at 6-0 where I was shouting take the three, Hinckley took a quick tap and go, were tackled immediately without any retreat by South and it was Hinckley that conceded the penalty.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

The Boy Dave wrote:Agree MJ Chairman.
I was told Hinckley had about a dozen U17 players including several who are still only 16 years old, very impressive and will be very strong in the future if they can keep them.
There were twelve on the teamsheet, should have been more and with the current U16's County Champions, next season for Hinckley Colts looks very positive.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

can quite believe that the AR saw something by Hinckley, either accidental or intentional, to cause the try to be denied. What I don’t know but surely it is unfair on the AR to assume otherwise. Hinckley’s other close try scoring opportunity was the penalty right in front of the posts at 6-0 where I was shouting take the three, Hinckley took a quick tap and go, were tackled immediately without any retreat by South and it was Hinckley that conceded the penalty.
Agree h's dad, an error not taking the three and another in not spotting the lack of retreat.
They must be doing something right to have so many so young not just competing at the level but actually making finals and with experiences like this many will get better.
I don't know if it's correct and perhaps MJ Chairman could confirm but I was told there were South U18 lads who have already played mens and in some cases 1st.
I have seen quite a few of these players and they have some quality young players at both clubs, I'd be surprised if Tigers were not keeping a keen eye on some of them.
Cheery chappy
barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by barwelltiger »

Lot of young promising players at hinckley in fact I think a lot of the boys have been given a contract by hinckley 1st and the ones under 16 are being lined up for one
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I didn't see anything both good enough and old enough for Hinckley 1st, yet.
I think that is more than a bit optimistic and you only need see the South v Syston mens game after to know this.
I thought there were a couple of South lads looked both old enough and good enough for their respective positions but not Hinckley.
Cheery chappy
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I can confirm that 1 of the South side has played 2 or 3 games of first team rugby at the beginning of the season but not in the position he played on Tuesday. A number of them older lads have played for the third team, but to be fair that's a lower level than Colts rugby.
As for the step up next season South will be playing level 4 rugby and Hinckley either 4 or 5. With the possible exception of the Hinckley left wing, I would suggest that none of the players on view will be good enough to play national league rugby for at least a couple of seasons, and even then only a handful on either side.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Would agree with that MJ Chairman.
Some of the handling and decision making was well below the level required IMO.
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

MJ Chairman wrote:I can confirm that 1 of the South side has played 2 or 3 games of first team rugby at the beginning of the season but not in the position he played on Tuesday. A number of them older lads have played for the third team, but to be fair that's a lower level than Colts rugby.
As for the step up next season South will be playing level 4 rugby and Hinckley either 4 or 5. With the possible exception of the Hinckley left wing, I would suggest that none of the players on view will be good enough to play national league rugby for at least a couple of seasons, and even then only a handful on either side.
Just to fill in for Hinckley, a few have played for the thirds and done well (same as for South seems mostly a lower level than the Colts). Just one has played for the seconds (the first half full back taken off at half time with head injury) and none for the firsts.
barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by barwelltiger »

A contract doesn't mean they will be playing first team next year or anything just ties them down to the club and let's the lads know that they are being watched for the future. As far as I am concerned it is a good thing