League players.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: League players.

Post by Sajerj »

Sam Tompkins has had his contract cancelled is returning to UK. Wigan have the option if he returns to league.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

If that's true about Tompkins, then meet him off the plane with a good contract in your hands, now he is a quality player in my opinion better than Sam Burgess.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

physiodan wrote:Freddie Tuilagi

Not only did he bring himself to tigers but also, Henry, Alex, Andy, Vavae, Manu and the next generation.

There are so many players who can more than add to RU but I think the key is actually signing them early on potential rather than waiting for them to become stars.

What I would like to see is us tapping into the American Football market. Yes it is a different game but the potential is huge for the guys who don't make the NFL. Carlin Ilses is just an example but if attracted soon enough then we could generate a stream of big, fast hard hitting players who have great footwork.
Freddie was actually a union player before he was a League player.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Iain wrote:

Not only did he bring himself to tigers but also, Henry, Alex, Andy, Vavae, Manu and the next generation.

There are so many players who can more than add to RU but I think the key is actually signing them early on potential rather than waiting for them to become stars.

What I would like to see is us tapping into the American Football market. Yes it is a different game but the potential is huge for the guys who don't make the NFL. Carlin Ilses is just an example but if attracted soon enough then we could generate a stream of big, fast hard hitting players who have great footwork.
Freddie was actually a union player before he was a League player.
ok, but that was non professional rugby and his first professional contract was 1995 with Halifax Rugby league at the tender age of 23/24. He then returned to Union 5 years later.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The club's other successful league convert was in Freddie's era too: Steve Booth - signed by Deano after a trial. Had a good few seasons with us, was well regarded, and has more England A (Saxons) caps than a certain Bath player.