24,000 sell-out? Stop lying!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

24,000 sell-out? Stop lying!

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

I appreciate this will sound like nit-picking taken to the nth degree but it was not a 24,000 sell-out against the Chiefs.

The seat next to my wife was empty on Saturday. It was vacated by a season ticket holder after the end of last season and has not been taken up by anyone else. Therefore, the maximum attendance could only have been 23,999 and I'd be astonished to find out this seat was the only unsold one in the entire stadium. From where we sit, I could see empty seats in the Goldsmith Stand: where ALL of these season ticket holders who didn't attend? I doubt it.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 24,000 sell-out? Stop lying!

Post by Darc Tiger »

Tickets 'sold'?
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

There is a single seat near us in the Crumbie (H&B) but guess it is difficult to sell hence why it is always empty.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I guess technically if the seat has been sold, but the person chooses for whatever reason, not to attend, the seat is still "sold", is it not.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote:I guess technically if the seat has been sold, but the person chooses for whatever reason, not to attend, the seat is still "sold", is it not.
Exactly. Just because the seat is empty doesn't mean the ticket wasn't sold.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The club also claimed it was a 24,000 sell-out against Bath in January and the same seat next to my wife was empty for that match as well. What are the odds on the person/people buying a ticket for that seat for both matches not turning up for either?

I still fail to see why the club cannot announce the real attendance since each ticket registers with the turnstiles.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

biffer wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:I guess technically if the seat has been sold, but the person chooses for whatever reason, not to attend, the seat is still "sold", is it not.
I totally agree, but the seat near us has been empty all season so I guess it hasn't been sold. The chances of someone purchasing as a season ticket holder then not attending at all is very slim, although could happen.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

A seat 2 away from ours is sold, but the ST holder rarely comes. (Illness, working away from Leicester, otherwise engaged, incarcerated?). Attendance and seats sold (sell-out) are two different things.

If this is all you have to complain about, things must be picking up!
Valhalla I am coming!
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

You're all missing the point.

I'm fully aware all season ticket holders are included in the announced attendance whether they turn up or not. The seat next to my wife is an 'open' seat, i.e. it is no longer taken by a season ticket holder. This seat was not occupied for either the Bath match in January nor Saturday's match against Exeter, i.e. the two alleged 24,000 sell-outs so far this season. I find it highly unlikely, if not unbelievable, that some person or persons would buy tickets for this seat for both matches and not turn up. Therefore, I query the club's claim both matches were sell-outs.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:The club also claimed it was a 24,000 sell-out against Bath in January and the same seat next to my wife was empty for that match as well. What are the odds on the person/people buying a ticket for that seat for both matches not turning up for either?

I still fail to see why the club cannot announce the real attendance since each ticket registers with the turnstiles.
Because ticket sales, including every season ticket, is a higher number and sounds better when publicised?

In terms of empty season seats, looking a the numbers in a very raw way you could probably expect a STH to go to the great stadium in the sky every couple of days.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:You're all missing the point.

I'm fully aware all season ticket holders are included in the announced attendance whether they turn up or not. The seat next to my wife is an 'open' seat, i.e. it is no longer taken by a season ticket holder. This seat was not occupied for either the Bath match in January nor Saturday's match against Exeter, i.e. the two alleged 24,000 sell-outs so far this season. I find it highly unlikely, if not unbelievable, that some person or persons would buy tickets for this seat for both matches and not turn up. Therefore, I query the club's claim both matches were sell-outs.
There are some seats around the stadium that are left empty known as contingency seats. These are there in case there are duplications, people who cant get to the seat that they have purchased, or just to help out if it is felt that getting someone seated would help them on the day.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Saracens claimed an attendance of over 84000 for there game at wembley, from what I could see on Tv, there was alot more than 6000 empty seats
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I see what you mean, but it's monumentally unimportant.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Iain wrote:I see what you mean, but it's monumentally unimportant.
+1 :smt035
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Coops wrote:
biffer wrote:
I totally agree, but the seat near us has been empty all season so I guess it hasn't been sold. The chances of someone purchasing as a season ticket holder then not attending at all is very slim, although could happen.
Actually you are wrong - not only are there are a fair number of corporate season tickets which quite often aren't used but other ST holders do regularly not attend. And even fanatics like me miss the odd game - big ones included; such as beating Toulouse in front of a full house. The previous holder of the seat next to mine only ever came four or five times a season and never in cold or wet weather.

Anyway at least Tigers don't lie - they say tickets sold - AND they do exactly the same as every other club.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."