Tigers need a new surface - good news!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KevinR

Re: Tigers need a new surface - good news!!

Post by KevinR »

I can't remember the exact figures, but the change was much more significant than that - measured in metres!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bill W (2) wrote:
RagingBull wrote:22mm wider 3 inches longer.
Inching our way there then!

(WHy did he give one in metric and one in Imperial)?

:smt027
Because he is Cohen and slowly ruining Leicester MM by inches at a time.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Good pitch news

Post by floridaboy »

sapajo wrote:Simon Cohen stated on RL that during the summer the pitch will be repaired and increased in size. Next summer a new Desi pitch has been booked in and will be installed. Happy days :smt023
I heard from a source at the club that a Desi pitch would not be installed the players didn't want it !
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

floridaboy wrote:
sapajo wrote:Simon Cohen stated on RL that during the summer the pitch will be repaired and increased in size. Next summer a new Desi pitch has been booked in and will be installed. Happy days :smt023
I heard from a source at the club that a Desi pitch would not be installed the players didn't want it !
I think you might confuse Desso pitch with he pitch sarries and Falcons have which is 4G.

Twickenham has Desso pitch, and the players don't complain about that.

This is the top end stuff. A hybrid of Grass and Artificial grass.
TheRugbyRef
Tiger Cub

Post by TheRugbyRef »

There's no such thing as 4G, its a salesman's term.

RFU Quick Reference Guide to Artificial Grass Pitches (AGPs)

As the number of AGPs constructed continues to increase, I thought it would be useful to clarify a number of issues that keep cropping up out in the field.

3G/4G/5G
There is no such thing as a 4G/5G pitch as recognised by the AGP industry. 3rd Generation or ‘3G’ pitches use the most up to date technology available. The term 3G relates to systems that use a long pile carpet with sand and rubber infill. Any use of the term 4G or 5G is incorrect. You may hear it from company reps who are trying to gain an edge on competitors by making a very minor (inconsequential) change to the specification and selling it as 4G or even 5G. The pitch at Saracens is a 3G pitch, despite what you might read in the press!

Suitable for Rugby?
A 3G pitch is not necessarily appropriate for contact rugby union and there is no way to tell if an AGP is suitable for contact rugby union by simply looking at it. However, whether or not a surface is suitable for contact rugby union (matches or training) is extremely straightforward. The pitch simply has to have an up to date test certificate that demonstrates compliance to IRB
Regulation 22. This test must be carried out by an IRB accredited test institute. IRB regulation 22 relates to the performance standard of the pitch and measures criteria such as head impact, ball bounce, joint strength and energy restitution. These tests reflect the characteristics of a good quality natural turf pitch. Test certificates should be forwarded to Ted Mitchell so a formal ‘permission to use’ letter can be issued from the RFU. The IRB Regulation 22 test must be renewed every two years.

A list and map of all IRB compliant AGPs in England will be on rfu.com shortly, but please contact me for this information if you need it more urgently.

Rugby and other sports
AGP systems can be manufactured and installed so that they meet all the requirements of the IRB, the RFL and FIFA, BUT if a pitch is certified by RFL/FIFA, this does not necessarily mean it meets IRB regulations. There are currently no systems available that meet the requirements of the IRB and FIH (for competition level hockey).

Insurance
A statement is on rfu.com from the RFU Insurance Broker, Marsh, which states that an AGP that has been tested and subsequently signed off by the RFU is treated in the same way as a natural turf pitch for insurance purposes. Pitches that do not have an up to date test certificate may not have appropriate insurance.

Non-contact
Non-contact activity should be managed in the same way as it would be on any other surface (i.e. a hard/dry natural turf pitch or an indoor sports hall) with a risk assessment carried out by the person in charge of the session (i.e coach/teacher), as normal, based on all contributing factors.
Law 6.A.4(a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So Saracens and Falcons grounds are technically 3G not 4G.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote:So Saracens and Falcons grounds are technically 3G not 4G.
Is that a slower pitch :smt003
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Good pitch news

Post by wormus »

sapajo wrote:
fentiger wrote:Did he say if it will be wider, longer or both?
Definately wider but sorry I cannot recall about the length.
From what I understand the International size pitch must be :-
Between 94 to 100 metres in length and between 68 to 70 metres in width.
I think they also call for a 5 metre perimeter for emergencies.
I believe from previous posts the Welford Road pitch is at present:-
91 metres long and 64.5 metres wide so we are about 3metres (10 ft)min. short on length (and the west stand development will probably cater for this.) However the 3.5 metre shortfall on width can probably only be achieved on the redevelopment of the Crumbie Stand.
At which point the Directors decide on a new playing surface is up to them but to me a new Crumbie Stand would come first albeit many times the cost of the pitch.
No doubt the Architects know the exact dimensions if they did a GPS survey.
Tigers Tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigers Tiger »

According to google maps the pitch is currently 105m x 62m, and 92m between the posts, so in goal is 6.5m each end.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

IMHO it is because Tigers pitch still adheres to imperial standard(100 yards rather than 100m) as it has been there so long. IIRC it was stated on the WW1 bit that Dan Cole did that the posts have been in the same place for over 100 years.