Lawes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Maximus66

Lawes

Post by Maximus66 »

How long before he hospitalizes some poor unsuspecting fly-half?
The commentators love him: He plays on the edge apparently; he's very committed.
Call it what you will.

Late hit or not, that guys head rattled around like he had whip-lash and he hit the deck on the side of his head.
Moore said it would look far worse in slow-mo.
It looked just as bad in real time to me :smt012
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Lawes

Post by tigerburnie »

Maximus66 wrote:How long before he hospitalizes some poor unsuspecting fly-half?
The commentators love him: He plays on the edge apparently; he's very committed.
Call it what you will.

Late hit or not, that guys head rattled around like he had whip-lash and he hit the deck on the side of his head.
Moore said it would look far worse in slow-mo.
It looked just as bad in real time to me :smt012
Thing is he didn't do anything that is outside the laws of the game, if the consensus is we don't like it, then the tackle laws would need changing.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

If it's within the laws (excuse the pun), then I see no problem with it.
In real time, Owens openly called out the timing was good, and even after referring to the TMO, it was still deemed legal.
I still enjoy seeing Manu, and previously Alessana Tuilagi putting similar hits in. The torque and velocity of the tackle Lawes put in, was no worse than seeing a Tuilagi in full flight, in defence or attack.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zflocS43Ml4
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Pathetic post. That tackle was awesome. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Even as aSaints player I'll admit I like him - he is some athlete. From what I remember from today Owens and the TMO felt there was no issue: or am I wrong?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:Pathetic post. That tackle was awesome. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it.
If assault is awesome, so be it. It just shows how far the game has descended.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Can you explain how it was assault please bigdai?
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I imagine if he was Polynesian he would have been carded :smt009
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Timing was fine. Brillaint tackle. One of these days he's going to mess it up though.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:Can you explain how it was assault please bigdai?
The man launched himself like an exocet, the body hits first, the arms wrap as an afterthought, the Frenchman goes beyond horizontal and lands on his bonce!

Penalty France, Yellow card Lawes! It's a deliberate tactic to spark out the ten. You were all up in arms when it was Floody on the receiving end.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

No I wasn't. The tackles on Flood were fine too. I presume by your theory that boxing should be banned as a sport and you believe Manu Tuilagi is a thug for his punch on Ashton?
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Big Dai wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Can you explain how it was assault please bigdai?
The man launched himself like an exocet, the body hits first, the arms wrap as an afterthought, the Frenchman goes beyond horizontal and lands on his bonce!

Penalty France, Yellow card Lawes! It's a deliberate tactic to spark out the ten. You were all up in arms when it was Floody on the receiving end.
But that's because we're nothing if not hypercrites :-)
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:No I wasn't. The tackles on Flood were fine too. I presume by your theory that boxing should be banned as a sport and you believe Manu Tuilagi is a thug for his punch on Ashton?
By "you", as in "you all" I meant folks on this forum were up in arms, Your personal point of view is yours. Where the non sequitur on boxing came from beggars belief. However it is my belief that Marquess of Queensberry rules allow a punch in boxing whilst it remains a penalty offence according to the laws of rugby union. Q.E.D Manu was a thug in the case of his assault on the good Mr Ashton.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

However it is my belief that Marquess of Queensberry rules allow a punch in boxing whilst it remains a penalty offence according to the laws of rugby union.
It is a fact and not my belief that you are allowed to tackle a player in the laws of Rugby Union too. That law does not state how hard you hit someone. If you as a player want to hit someone with such ferocity that it hurts the opponent, then that is fine as it is legal to do so.
Just because the tackled player landed on his head, it doesn't mean that it was a bad tackle!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:
However it is my belief that Marquess of Queensberry rules allow a punch in boxing whilst it remains a penalty offence according to the laws of rugby union.
It is a fact and not my belief that you are allowed to tackle a player in the laws of Rugby Union too. That law does not state how hard you hit someone. If you as a player want to hit someone with such ferocity that it hurts the opponent, then that is fine as it is legal to do so.
Just because the tackled player landed on his head, it doesn't mean that it was a bad tackle!

Law 10: Foul Play

10.4 Dangerous play and misconduct

A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.

Law Application Guidelines

Dangerous tackles (high tackles)

A player must not tackle (or try to tackle) an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders. A tackle around the opponent’s neck or head is dangerous play. A stiff-arm tackle is dangerous play. A player makes a stiff-arm tackle when using a stiff-arm to strike an opponent.

If I was refereeing I would have deemed the tackle dangerous. It was a "hit", not a tackle. An attempt to deliberately injure an opponent.