Lawes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lawes

Post by TigerLad »

Noggs wrote:If the player doesn't have the ball when the tackler accelerates into the tackle it's late. If he's hit the player with the ball I have no issue with it and it's a great tackle. On this case Lawes was late IMO and was probably lucky to get away with it.

The point is the player did have the ball when the tackler accelerates into the tackle. He was still holding the ball when he dips his head to make the tackle at which point there is no going back. He may not have completed the pass and the tackler has no way of knowing whether he will or not.

The tackle was legal in terms of the laws of the game. End of...[/quote]

Well then that's where we will have to disagree. To me it's quite obvious he's accelerated after the balls gone, he dips his head when Plisson still has the ball, but clearly accelerates when the balls gone. To me that's late. But we are not going to change each others minds on the topic.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Short memories some, there was a Tigers 9 who developed a technique of going for a kickers standing foot when supposedly attempting a charge down. How he never maimed anyone I don't know, but I don't remember 4 pages of debate about that.
Dominichi
Tiger Cub

Post by Dominichi »

I often think that Lawes knows full well he is going to get there too late to take man and ball but early enough to make the tackle legal.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MJ Chairman wrote:Short memories some, there was a Tigers 9 who developed a technique of going for a kickers standing foot when supposedly attempting a charge down. How he never maimed anyone I don't know, but I don't remember 4 pages of debate about that.
I agree, I hated that, even shouted from the terraces.
Same as several of us Crumbyites shouted at YBY when he acted the same gobby way as Dickson at a TJ. YBY looked into the terrace (he was next to it) and immediately ceased the verbals for the rest of the game. Tigers players do things, if we don't like it, let them know.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

It was a great hit.

It looked worse because the frenchie turned away from the tackle as he passed. He came down at the angle he did because he moved.

Lawes can't be held accountable for a moving target after he's committed to the tackle imo.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

N Owens Esq and the TMO (Kiwi by the sound of it) gave it a good going over and then OK'd it,.
Mind you, they gave Nakaitaci's try and Vunipola's try when they both had lost control of the ball!!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

tigercaspian wrote:N Owens Esq and the TMO (Kiwi by the sound of it) gave it a good going over and then OK'd it,.
Mind you, they gave Nakaitaci's try and Vunipola's try when they both had lost control of the ball!!
TMO was Andrew Small
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I cannot believe there is even a debate about this tackle!!!

Because that is what it was, a very good forceful tackle, not late but hard. If he was a Tigers player we would be cheering from the refters, sometimes the hypocrisy on this site is mind boggling!!!

Oh and by the way congratulations to England and their coaches (yes that includes Lancaster JG) for a fantastic performance and a brilliant finale to the 6N. Who cares about the points difference, on their day England, Wales and Ireland can all beat each other, it just depends who turns up on the day.

Personally I'm excited about our chances in the WC, and will be supporting England whatever, unlike I suspect some on here who would rather see a Lancaster failure to reaffirm their prejudices!!
Soggypitch
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Fly halfs nightmare, fair tackle, committed and it put the No 10 right off his game..job done!!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

fortysix wrote:Fly halfs nightmare, fair tackle, committed and it put the No 10 right off his game..job done!!
Ditto!!
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fortysix wrote:Fly halfs nightmare, fair tackle, committed and it put the No 10 right off his game..job done!!
Since you like this and think Tigers are on the slide, I assume you already have a season ticket for Thug Central in Londonshire. :smt039
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote:Pathetic post.
Not so. The OP raises a valid point.
That tackle was awesome. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it.
By the letter of the law it was an awesome tackle.

However, it's a fashion of tackle which could, one day, go very badly wrong and end up with a player being very seriously injured. All it will take is the expected geometry of the tackle being different between the "exocet launching" and the "target" being hit and you're looking at very serious injury. Which, by the letter of the law, is apparently ok.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tigerbeat wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:N Owens Esq and the TMO (Kiwi by the sound of it) gave it a good going over and then OK'd it,.
TMO was Andrew Small
Tigercaspian - You are correct the TMO at Twickenhan E V F was a New Zealander Ben Skeen, Andrew Small probably had a week off in the Ref's Resthome.
see attached :- http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25 ... 50,00.html
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Soggypitch wrote:I cannot believe there is even a debate about this tackle!!!

Because that is what it was, a very good forceful tackle, not late but hard. If he was a Tigers player we would be cheering from the refters, sometimes the hypocrisy on this site is mind boggling!!!

Oh and by the way congratulations to England and their coaches (yes that includes Lancaster JG) for a fantastic performance and a brilliant finale to the 6N. Who cares about the points difference, on their day England, Wales and Ireland can all beat each other, it just depends who turns up on the day.

Personally I'm excited about our chances in the WC, and will be supporting England whatever, unlike I suspect some on here who would rather see a Lancaster failure to reaffirm their prejudices!!
I care about the points difference. Because of it we've finished 2nd AGAIN. 4 years in a row under this regime. They said it themselves before the game that second is the first loser. They lost. How can you seriously praise the coaches given they have delivered nothing in their 4 years in charge with a very talented squad? It isn't good enough. Schmidt has won 2 6n in his first 2 attempts with a weaker squad than Lancaster possesses. That's what a good coach does. He's bad 4 years to get it right and he still can't. I don't want England to lose, I want Lancaster out because someone else could clearly be doing a better job than this.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Tl, if England had scored six points more and won the Grand Slam you would have been happy ?

I mean you wouldn't be advocating sacking a coach that won the grand slam ?