Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Steve Walsh Retires!

Post by Tyzot »

Good riddance.

One of the worst referees ever to darken a sports stadium.IMO

http://www.espn.co.uk/super-rugby-2015/ ... 59815.html

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver paid tribute to Walsh, saying the 60-Test official had shown great respect and integrity for the game in making the decision to retire.
"On behalf of everyone at the ARU, I would like to wish Steve all the best in his future endeavours. His departure is a big loss to Australian rugby and the game globally, but we fully respect Steve's decision to pursue his own personal dreams and wish him well. In making this significant decision, Steve has displayed a strong level of integrity and respect for the game.
"Steve has been a terrific ambassador for Australian rugby - whether it be at Six Nations games on the other side of the world, in the spotlight officiating World Cup games or refereeing Super Rugby fixtures - living the core values of our sport day in, day out and inspiring the next generation of match officials in this country. We now look forward to continuing to support the development of our next tier of match officials to reach and hopefully exceed the levels attained by Steve through his career."

What rubbish. More likely that there is another story about to come out.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Walsh Retires!

Post by G.K »

Bye, Bye clown :smt039 :smt039
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

The best hair in rugby history has retired :smt022
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

At least he was consistent.......

......OK, consistently bad
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It does make me laugh how rugby holds itself as a game of respect and yet within the space of a few days we have threads solely dedicated to slagging off two referees.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote:It does make me laugh how rugby holds itself as a game of respect and yet within the space of a few days we have threads solely dedicated to slagging off two referees.
If you read your club history, you'll see it was popular to slag off the ref from the outset, but at least an improvement from captains deciding offences.
Walsh at least didn't cost anyone a WC final as Joubert did.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Suspended twice for being abusive towards England and suspended again for behaving inappropriately again towards a player in the Super 14 when having a shocking performance himself.

Also banned for being drunk and abusive at a referees' conference.

Had the displeasure of meeting him after a Lions game in New Zealand. Found him quite unpleasant.

Dreadful game management each time you see him and a real smug attitude on the pitch.

Yeah. Good riddance.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

jgriffin wrote:
ourla wrote:It does make me laugh how rugby holds itself as a game of respect and yet within the space of a few days we have threads solely dedicated to slagging off two referees.
If you read your club history, you'll see it was popular to slag off the ref from the outset, but at least an improvement from captains deciding offences.
Marvelous attitude. Well done.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

jgriffin wrote:
Walsh at least didn't cost anyone a WC final as Joubert did.
You may want to tell this fellow though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20207113
The head of Premiership referees Ed Morrison has said rugby officials are shown more respect than in football because of the tradition of the sport.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Walsh quote
"I will be forever indebted to Australian Rugby for including me so openly following a difficult period for me personally," he said.

"I would also like to acknowledge my time with New Zealand Rugby. Their decision to end my contract in 2009 was challenging, but was ultimately the best thing that has ever happened in my life. It made me confront who I was and how I carried myself."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/6745 ... ing-career
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

It made me confront who I was and how I carried myself."
If only it had.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'll say it. I doubt he's retired to pursue business interests.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Steve Walsh improved markedly in the last few games I saw him referee, all referees are flawed as far as the fans are concerned and his earlier performances were dire but he had improved a lot so it will be a loss to the game.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

True......but at least the slagging off was not during a game. As a member of the Alain Rolland appreciation society here in Wales the sentiment in this case is well understood.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ogan

Post by Ogan »

Never his delight when penalising England for any infringements, real or imagined. No loss whatever to the sport and good riddance.