11,040 attendance

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

11,040 attendance

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

This was the official attendance yesterday.

I wonder when was the last time we played at home in the semi-final of any competition and didn't even manage to half fill the ground. OK, it was Mothers' Day (or Mothering Sunday for the bible-bashers) and the match was on TV, but even so it was a pretty p-poor turnout.

Were some season ticket holders too mean to pay extra for the match? The Goldsmith Stand was less than half full, they were noticeable gaps on the terrace and there was nobody at all in the temporary seating at the Clubhouse End.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: 11,040

Post by Iain »

Pretty embarrassing really. Tickets were only £15, so I'm not buying that it was an unnecessary extra expense that people weren't prepared to pay.

I get that it was mothers day, but the game finishing before 3pm gave you plenty of the rest of the day to be doing something (I grant you not EVERYONE has parents living nearby, but still...)

I suspect the problem is that many of our fans expect to be spoon fed and if they actually have to think too carefully about having to do something to go to the game they don't bother. Supporting case in point the Barbarians game. I suspect too that we will see a low turnout for the Argentina game, despite it being an exciting fixture and reasonably priced, because fans won't bother to buy tickets as they've actually got to think about it.

To summarise bluntly, we have some lazy fans.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: 11,040 attendance

Post by TigerCam »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:This was the official attendance yesterday.

I wonder when was the last time we played at home in the semi-final of any competition and didn't even manage to half fill the ground. OK, it was Mothers' Day (or Mothering Sunday for the bible-bashers) and the match was on TV, but even so it was a pretty p-poor turnout.

Were some season ticket holders too mean to pay extra for the match? The Goldsmith Stand was less than half full, they were noticeable gaps on the terrace and there was nobody at all in the temporary seating at the Clubhouse End.
Mothering Sunday is a day of respect for your Mother, something lacking by many in todays society. Mum comes first on her day!!!!! :smt018
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I don't need one day out of the year to tell my mum she's awesome. Besides, she was sitting a couple of seats down from me anyway :smt023
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: 11,040

TigerCam wrote:Mothering Sunday is a day of respect for your Mother, something lacking by many in todays society. Mum comes first on her day!!!!! :smt018
What are you getting at? All I said it was a poor turnout even allowing for it being Mothering Sunday and the match being televised.

Also, thanks a lot to Big Brother for the unnecessary amending of the title of this thread!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I wanted to go but I was working. Not much I could about unfortunately
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

ellis9 wrote:I wanted to go but I was working. Not much I could about unfortunately
Well yes, that happens. Some people will miss games through work.

I'd be amazed if 13,000 people who wanted to go to the match had to go to work though.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Well my and my two kids are season ticket holders and we didn't go.

For us a number of factors converged so that we chose not to be there:
- it was Mothering Sunday, and unfortunately not all the mum's in our family fancied it, so we dedicated the day to what they wanted to do
- we tend to plan our diary a little way in advance, and weekends without fixtures are used for other things, unfortunately we had already made our Mothering Sunday plans before the fixture was known about
- Sunday lunchtime isn't great for us as a fixture time. I'm old and stuck in my ways, and I like my Sunday roast, and I like it at lunchtime!
- it was the LV cup. Yes it is still important, but I think we all recognise it isn't quite Europe or the Premiership.

I'm sorry the crowd was so small. It does feel a shame, but I for one can understand it.

And whilst some of our fans may be lazy, many of us travel quite some distance to attend games, and we do need to be a bit choosy about which ones we go to. Many of us do have other responsibilites and priorities.

Sorry.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I dare say most of the rugby world would like that number to turn up for the first team. We are fortunate and not everyone can get to all the matches. I dare say a lot wouldn't go to an "A" league game either.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Me and my son are STH. We didn't attend for the following reasons:

1) Having forked out for a ST don't want to pay any more for budgetry reasons. Even though they made it relatively cheap, I am traveling from Milton Keynes so have that cost aswell.

2) Son has hockey practice Sunday morning and if it all possible I'd rather he burnt some energy there than sitting on his backside for several hours. A 1pm kick off meant it was impossible to do both.

3) Missus has taken note of the number of matches we go to as a result of being STH so I am trying to keep a lid on it.

I think the fans are spoilt to some degree, having top European and Prem play offs every year. Plus we all know the LV is used to develop players and coaches so it's not top class. So I was actually more surprised we got a sell out against Saints than the attendance here. Of course the Saints had STH included and we were playing a local team. How many came up from Exeter for this.
KUSADASI TIGER

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

Had the match been played on the Saturday,i would have been there but i have a very early start on Mondays and 3 days of order shipping to get done from the weekend so Sunday matches in general are not possible.Speaking to several friends ,their season tickets are not being renewed due to the high number of Sunday matches and the problems these cause when you do not live in Leicester.
be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't know why people moan about poor attendances at cup fixtures, it has always been that way in the professional era. In the amateur days it was totally different as the full first XV always took part, but now with the more important cup competitions and the Aviva premiership, the domestic cup competition under whatever guise is seen as an opportunity
to blood young players and rightly so. Maybe make it the top 5 who qualify for Europe and the winner of the cup competition. That might increase the number of fans attending, but I doubt it.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

My wife and I did buy our tickets, extended to our season tickets, but did not go. We had another match to see on Sunday. Our grandson was playing in the County Cup U15 s final for Market Harborough against Hinckley, a really exciting game which Harborough were very fortunate to win, feelings go out to Hinckley players as their kicker hit post after scoring to tie the match, final result 14-12 to Harborough.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Maidman wrote: I'm old and stuck in my ways, and I like my Sunday roast, and I like it at lunchtime! ... it was the LV cup. Yes it is still important, but I think we all recognise it isn't quite Europe or the Premiership.
I think that just about sums it up.

To paraphrase John F Kennedy, "Don't ask what you can do for your club, ask what your club can do for you."
palletman

Post by palletman »

Iain wrote:Pretty embarrassing really. Tickets were only £15, so I'm not buying that it was an unnecessary extra expense that people weren't prepared to pay.

I get that it was mothers day, but the game finishing before 3pm gave you plenty of the rest of the day to be doing something (I grant you not EVERYONE has parents living nearby, but still...)

I suspect the problem is that many of our fans expect to be spoon fed and if they actually have to think too carefully about having to do something to go to the game they don't bother. Supporting case in point the Barbarians game. I suspect too that we will see a low turnout for the Argentina game, despite it being an exciting fixture and reasonably priced, because fans won't bother to buy tickets as they've actually got to think about it.

To summarise bluntly, we have some lazy fans.

Iain.
Your previous posting is bang out of order. I for one do not need spoon feeding etc. I refused to pay for a game that in my opinion should have been part of our season ticket. To get less than 50% attendance to a HOME CUP SEMI FINAL says it all. I suspect someone high up in the club might just sit up and start to realise what direction everything is going. Yes it could be said that the seat price was not set to high but I suspect that the main reasons for the low turn out are just about everything else wrong within our club.
PUBLIC CATERING ISSUES
EARLY SEASON POOR FORM
MATCH DAYS AND KICK OFF TIMES.
{Friday nights, Saturday nights and so many Sundays!}

NOT LAZY FANS.

I can confirm reluctantly that two more season tickets gone west as getting to games does need planning and organising. Non Saturday games are a joke to attend at times and with other issues going on where is the incentive to attend. I don't want something for nothing but the club missed a really big opportunity, getting a BIG crowd behind the TIGERS and maybe getting them into a final, in my opinion to get the club to a FINAL in what could turn out to be a bad year!