England to win Six Nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England to win Six Nations

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

drc_007 wrote:Personally I thought the catalyst for the change was Ben Youngs.
Ford's kicking from hand was pretty poor throughout but I'm not sure if that was because of coaches orders.

Ford offers himself as a runner and doesn't standing too deep giving Ben the extra half a yard he needed for his sniping runs.

it's the combination of the two that works so well
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
drc_007 wrote:Personally I thought the catalyst for the change was Ben Youngs.
Ford's kicking from hand was pretty poor throughout but I'm not sure if that was because of coaches orders.

Ford offers himself as a runner and doesn't standing too deep giving Ben the extra half a yard he needed for his sniping runs.

it's the combination of the two that works so well
THIS!

Youngs has come in for enormous criticism over the last couple of seasons, but when there is literally zero attackign threat coming from the No10 then he was clearly taking on too much responsibility on himself.

It slowed his service, which has never been the best, as he was always trying to find an opportunity to make something happen (which looks a lot like crabbing when the spaces aren't there). And Farrell stood deeper than Ford as a rule, which stretched Youngs' range when he did pass.

Ford, though, makes the players either side of him look much better (which is a massive criticism of Burrell!). Eastmond is half the player for Bath without Ford, and he's even made a decent club-level SH like Cook look like a class act at 9.

The England half-backs were a big step up from Care/Farrell, but we've also seen Youngs/Farrell and Dickson/Farrell struggling to replicate what England did this 6N. Ford is the big change.

Though I daresay that it would have been less noticeable if England had previously been picking Cipriani, for example, instead of Farrell. There would have been less of a difference in terms of attacking talent in the 10 shirt.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

It's strange the bias people have. With the Youngs / Ford combination England won four from five, and finished second . The exact same outcome as the previous three six nations tournaments with Farrell playing at ten.

In the crunch game in Ireland both Ben and George were a distance in class behind Murray and Sexton.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Sajerj wrote:It's strange the bias people have. With the Youngs / Ford combination England won four from five, and finished second . The exact same outcome as the previous three six nations tournaments with Farrell playing at ten.

In the crunch game in Ireland both Ben and George were a distance in class behind Murray and Sexton.
Statistically speaking, yes but the difference in Ben Youngs' play this year and in previous years of the Lancaster era are discernible. I think it's right for Leicester fans to be cheered by the inclusion of George Ford (or any other attacking fly half - remember how flat Flood used to stand) as it brings out the best in Youngs. It's not surprising that they are a long way behind Murray and Sexton, not least because they've spent much longer playing international rugby together.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Sajerj wrote:It's strange the bias people have. With the Youngs / Ford combination England won four from five, and finished second . The exact same outcome as the previous three six nations tournaments with Farrell playing at ten.

With Youngs & Ford combination though it looked much better, and didn't rely on kicking all the time. The Wales game in particular was also when Burrell had his best game offering a lot from 12. In that match Youngs had the option of going himself or passing to Ford or Burrell, the Wales defence never knew who to tackle, when to drift or when to blitz.

The Scotland game created loads but lacked finish (usually after the break had been made and just needed the final pass).

The France game went back to being creative and clinical but we couldn't defend.

The Ireland and Italy matches were pretty dire all around.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

So the 6N 2020 is to be completed on the 24th and 31st of October, and a winning bp in Italy will see England crowned as winners. The times of the matches are likely to be announced next week. Will spectators be allowed? Is so, how many? I need to know cos there are 6 of us going to the SdF for the France /Ireland game! My guess would be reduced capacity, but by how much ? 40 or 50%?
Last edited by Robespierre on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Off the field , apparently this is Canterbury's final design for an England Rugby shirt , prior to Umbro taking over the supply contract:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/fan-designed-jer ... and-shirt/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:44 pm So the 6N 2020 is to be completed on the 24th and 31st of October, and a winning bp in Italy will see England crowned as winners. The times of the matches are likely to be announced next week. Will spectators be allowed? Is so, how many? I need to know cos there are 6 of us going to the SdF for the France /Ireland game! My guess would be reduced capacity, but by how much ? 40 or 50%?
Forgive me, but do we not also need the France and Ireland results to go our way too? Ireland have two games left and could get to 19 points, whereas I think England can only get a maximum of 18?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

England v Ireland is still to go ahead.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Maidman wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:12 am
Robespierre wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:44 pm So the 6N 2020 is to be completed on the 24th and 31st of October, and a winning bp in Italy will see England crowned as winners. The times of the matches are likely to be announced next week. Will spectators be allowed? Is so, how many? I need to know cos there are 6 of us going to the SdF for the France /Ireland game! My guess would be reduced capacity, but by how much ? 40 or 50%?
Forgive me, but do we not also need the France and Ireland results to go our way too? Ireland have two games left and could get to 19 points, whereas I think England can only get a maximum of 18?
You’re correct, Maidman. Ireland are at home to Italy on 24/10 where a bp win is probable and then go to Paris on the 31st in search of another bp win (unlikely in my opinion) which would see them Champions - I think!
Semper in excretia
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm England v Ireland is still to go ahead.
Thanks Robespierre.

Tigerbeat - England beat Ireland 24-12 at Twickenham on 23rd February 2020.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes the only thing about the Ireland game that was close was the scoreline,the Welsh game too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer