Salvi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: Salvi

Post by 4071 »

Noddy555 wrote:Well the player has to have one thing on his mind the security of hios family. If he has received a much better offer from a French club then given his age he would be mad to turn it down.
His 'acceptance' of Tigers' offer suggests that he is willing to turn down any big offer from abroad and wants to stay.

Sure, he probably wants to be paid more than he's been offered (everyone does - negotiation is always about finding a compromise that keeps both happy), but on the back of the last two seasons you'd have to accept that whatever he wants is better value (and a surer bet) than simply trying to replace him with someone who may or may not be a success.

Player turnover is an issue in itself, and simply swapping out proven players for cheaper replacements on a one-for-one basis is not a sustainable policy.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

In short, even if we're signing O'Connor there would definitely be a place for Salvi in the squad too.

If the reason we can't reetain him is because we signed Opeti Fonua, I will be very annoyed. We don't need even more No8s (Crane, Pearce, possibly Barbieri and then Fonua?) and he's not really managed to stand out for London Welsh - mediocre in a sea of mediocrity.[/quote]

To me, this is the most relevant point of all. The other forward signings I can understand but Fonua I'm afraid, I just can't fathom. Especially at the expense of losing Salvi.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Sure, he probably wants to be paid more than he's been offered (everyone does - negotiation is always about finding a compromise that keeps both happy), but on the back of the last two seasons you'd have to accept that whatever he wants is better value (and a surer bet) than simply trying to replace him with someone who may or may not be a success.
"Whatever he wants". However good he, or any other player is, the club should not and by the looks of it, will not be held to ransom because players 'want' more money.

I really want Salvi to stay and agree he will be a massive loss if he goes but I have to say well done to Tigers for not giving in to his demands if this is what has happened. The offer has been made to him, allegedly and he hasn't accepted it, fair enough and good luck to him wherever he goes.

No one is bigger or better than Leicester Tigers or any other team for that matter. The offer is on the table, take it or leave it. If you want to play for Leicester Tigers then take it, if you don't, then leave it.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

ellis9 wrote:
"Whatever he wants". However good he, or any other player is, the club should not and by the looks of it, will not be held to ransom because players 'want' more money.

I really want Salvi to stay and agree he will be a massive loss if he goes but I have to say well done to Tigers for not giving in to his demands if this is what has happened. The offer has been made to him, allegedly and he hasn't accepted it, fair enough and good luck to him wherever he goes.

No one is bigger or better than Leicester Tigers or any other team for that matter. The offer is on the table, take it or leave it. If you want to play for Leicester Tigers then take it, if you don't, then leave it.
Good of you to take such a stand when you don't know what has been offered, what was on offer elsewhere, whether he rejected the offer outright or not, whether he rejected it at all or how much we are paying other players relative to Salvi.

Given the rather dubious track record when it comes to integrating signings, it would make sense to consider that retaining a proven player is better than signing a cheaper player. Now I don't know either what the situation is in the negotiations, but I do know the value of Salvi to the club and I know that we are losing a lot of players in the pack whose salaries are not insignificant. I also know that we have signed players to replace them who would be coming pretty cheap (including at least one signing that looks fairly unnecessary given the depth in his position already).

Sure, Tigers like to sign depth more than they like to sign quality - that's a consequence of the pay structure and the need to compete on multiple fronts - but there really needs to be a better plan in place to retain the players who are proven performers and who prefer to stay. Loyalty goes both ways; the club should be willing to spend more on players who have done the job for them, rather than being immoveable in negotiations and spending money on importing unknown quantities instead.

The line about no player being bigger than the club is a red herring. It's an easy one to trot out to justify never having to concede an inch in contract negotiations. It's one of those truisms that sound good because no one can disagree with it. It will come up every time from the club and from fans when a player leaves because his pay demands aren't met. The assumption is always that the player is being unreasonable and that Tigers can't give in to him because... you guessed it... no player is bigger than the club.

How about you consider it from a different angle. The club is making demands of the players - the club demands total physical and mental commitment, but when the time comes that the player makes any demands back then he can be rejected and that same line trotted out. It's almost as if the line is used to justify a one-way loyalty.

Really, when it comes to a player who has been a virtual ever-present and has put his body on the line time and time again, and who has proven his ability and his commitment and who has demonstrated hius desire to stay.... would giving him a pay rise make him 'bigger than the club'? Even if it meant that we couldn't sign some mid-level import like Opeti Fonua?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I presume you know what Salvi was offered then?!

I would say it's a given that the club is asking for total mental and physical commitment, that is what being a professional rugby player is all about. Look at it this way, you have given your absolute best for the past 5 or 6 years in your job, you have worked hard and long hours and you finally decide you want more money because you've been one of the best employees and consistent. You go to your boss and say I want more money and this is how much I want. Your boss isn't going to say oh ok then, I'll change your contract and from immediate effect.

It sounds like Tigers did offer a contract but nothing was agreed or moving quickly enough so they withdrew the offer which they are well within their rights to do. They obviously feel the replacement lined up or already signed is good enough and they must also feel Fonua is good enough for Tigers and that we need cover there
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

My understanding is that Salvi was offered a deal and held of signing it while he had talks with other clubs.
Meanwhile Tigers signed an alternative when he was available.
Salvi then decided that he wanted to stay with Tigers after all.
Trouble is the budget to keep him had already been spent on an alternative openside.

I'm not sure what Tigers should have done differently - Tigers couldn't hang on indefinitely in the hope Salvi would re-sign, they had a window in which to sign their preferred alternatives and if Salvi wouldn't re-sign in time then they had to move on, or risk missing out.
Tigers are too big a club to allow on player to keep them dangling on, while they hope he signs a new deal because they have missed out on all the alternatives while he made up his mind.

Also, I'm happy with Fonau - needs to get in better shape but he is the stand out ball carrier in the Welsh team, always making more ground (comfortably more usually) than the rest of the pack.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

snoopster wrote:My understanding is that Salvi was offered a deal and held of signing it while he had talks with other clubs.
Meanwhile Tigers signed an alternative when he was available.
Salvi then decided that he wanted to stay with Tigers after all.
Trouble is the budget to keep him had already been spent on an alternative openside.

I'm not sure what Tigers should have done differently - Tigers couldn't hang on indefinitely in the hope Salvi would re-sign, they had a window in which to sign their preferred alternatives and if Salvi wouldn't re-sign in time then they had to move on, or risk missing out.
Tigers are too big a club to allow on player to keep them dangling on, while they hope he signs a new deal because they have missed out on all the alternatives while he made up his mind.

Also, I'm happy with Fonau - needs to get in better shape but he is the stand out ball carrier in the Welsh team, always making more ground (comfortably more usually) than the rest of the pack.

Sounds like an unfortunate thing that happened abit of miss communication perhaps. Either way it does not look like he will stay but I hope he dose
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Fingers crossed we can find room for two - as 4071 says having 2 decent opensides is no problem to have - hell, even playing 2 of them is better than playing two 6s imo.