Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 3

Post by tigerburnie »

jgriffin wrote:Troy?
Get your boots out JG, there's still a chance for us yet................... :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Troy = 5 points in the South West :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Thor would've made the Trojan war much more interesting.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="simoscribbler"][quote="Big Dai"]This apparent merry-go-round is rather distressing. One ends up supporting players rather than a club? It's one facet of the game that is worse than Wendyball! How does any DOR achieve continuity?[/quote]

Agree with this. Growing more of our own/recruiting young would be a good start. Can't be bothered to work it out, but I'd wager that academy products/players recruited at 21 or younger stay with us significantly longer than older/more established lads do. So DoR needs to really integrate with the Academy set-up - and then back our youngsters.

And let's start now - Troy Thacker and two or three others need the game time....[/quote]

The need for better integration has already been identified by the Club, and hopefully the recent changes to the academy set-up will go a long way towards addressing this issue.
As for game time, I'm not sure about Troy, but I think Harry got on the field as sub for Donny against London Scots. Hepetema started that game, but had to go off with a knee injury (don't know how bad).
Also Pohe, and Price played for Notts in their win against Moseley - with Pohe grabbing 2 tries.
Three youngsters played in the England u20 championship winning team against the French.There may have been others elsewhere...
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

Senior moment, I'm afraid. Would be fun though, for us, if not for him....
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Doghashadhisday wrote:How long will the Board allow this to continue, we have lost Back, Skinner, Jennnings, Kronfeld and now Salvi . All number 7's who were irreplaceable.
All number 7's who were replaced!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:Still the second marquee signing to come. Though that's been suggested in the backs.

Bateman, O'Connor, Williiams, Fitzgerald and Fonua in, Briggs, Deacon, Thorn, Parling, Gibson and Salvi out. Must still be some money left in the budget. That's in the pack alone. Got to be room in there for another 7.
Betham? in, Tait, Scully? and Hamilton out. Room to add there too.

Still multiple players to be confirmed, De Chaves, Whetton, Peterson, Croft Barbieri, Hepetema etc
I'm not saying that this is a good or bad thing but I don't think we'll sign what everyone would perceive as a marquee player. There are pros and cons to this policy. Having a marquee player may not be great for morale if someone comes in on a big salary after a lot of proven players have been through hard-ball contract renewal negotiations. Splashing the cash will not guarantee performance or cohesion; on the other hand, I'd be very happy to see a Dagg, Le Roux or Alberts on the bog that is Welford Road! :smt045
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

If I've understood correctly

With the new salary cap every year we will sign a new marquee player from a different league

Therefore the majority of our new players could be marquee players
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

simoscribbler wrote:
Senior moment, I'm afraid. Would be fun though, for us, if not for him....
You certainly gave me and TB a moment there. Frankly, I did the Macmillan Charnwood Marathon Walk on Saturday, the 17 miler (advertised as 15...thanks)and I still have a couple of twinges, so god knows what 5 minutes of rugby would do. :smt022
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

cheers
Rich
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Rykard wrote:cardiff have confirmed Scully
http://www.cardiffblues.com/mobile/news/7563.php
Remember where you heard it first. Here (6th post down)
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Blaine is an example of a another great find, and has developed well. Always seems willing to give his all. A great shame he is leaving.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

there are mixed messages around this, I read one bit that said it was a short term contract then the olympics and another that said it was a long term contract?? (he also knows one of the coaches from the us set up)

it's soo complicated these days..
cheers
Rich
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Rykard"]there are mixed messages around this, I read one bit that said it was a short term contract then the olympics and another that said it was a long term contract?? (he also knows one of the coaches from the us set up)

it's soo complicated these days..[/quote]

Who knows? But yes, I expect the US coaching connection held some sway.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck to Blaine, a slight drop in standards playing in the Rabid or whatever it's called these days.......................... :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.