2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KevinR

Re: 2014/15 Rumours/Contracts/Signings part 3

Post by KevinR »

I've been watching O'Connor in the Super 15 and would say he's more of a blindside - rather like Gibson. Even through O'Connor wore 7 last week, Braid was arguably doing the breakaway job.

I've been more impressed with Fitzgerald - an enforcer type lock in the mould of Thorn/Deacon and good in the line-out, but much younger and fast enough to do a job at 6.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I'd hope if Salvi and Barbieri go, there's another 7 in the offing with the wages from them. Equally, with Gibson gone and Croft's future in the balance, definitely still room/need for an extra out and out flanker, not more lock/flankers.
Briggs - Bateman
Thorn, Parling, Deacon, Price - Fitzgerald, Williams & 1 of Whetton/Peterson?
Gibson, Barbieri?, Salvi? - Fonua, O'Connor. (Need more than 1 natural 7)

Depending on Barbieri, Salvi and Croft's future, forward spending about done I'd assume.

Hopefully Tait's wages, plus the extra marquee signing to add a new centre to give us a cutting edge, and a new fullback.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Fitzgerald looks like a good signing, big powerful unit who has been an ever present in a very good Chiefs team this year, with kitch and slater likely to be away with England he will be much needed. Bateman offers a solid back up as well, hopefully Thacker can be moulded into the 7 we all think he should be.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

baz1664 wrote:Fitzgerald looks like a good signing, big powerful unit who has been an ever present in a very good Chiefs team this year, with kitch and slater likely to be away with England he will be much needed. Bateman offers a solid back up as well, hopefully Thacker can be moulded into the 7 we all think he should be.
Given that Kitch appears to be behind Launchbury, Lawes, Attwood, Kruis and (oddly) Nick Easter at lock for England, I very much doubt that we'll be losing him. Or Slater, for that matter, as Lancaster looks as though he's consolidating his squad now and not likely to bring in new uncapped players in positions of existing strength.

There's an outside chance of losing one of them. Definitely not both, barring a(nother) catastrophic series of injuries to England's locks.
MattB

Post by MattB »

This looks promising! Peter Betham to become a tiger. Should add a great option at wing, but not sure of his fullback ability (states he can play both)
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 90,00.html
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="MattB"]This looks promising! Peter Betham to become a tiger. Should add a great option at wing, but not sure of his fullback ability (states he can play both)
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 90,00.html[/quote]

Hi MattB - Betham has been discussed earlier on this thread - try page 2 onwards.
There's a clip of him scoring a recent try.Big lad, with good pace.
Would be an interesting addition, if true.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/22983175

A little confirmation on his propping skills.
I think this is actually a steady signing.
Briggs was a steady hand to help guide Thacker, and latterly, Farnworth also, international hookers were away on international duty. Bateman replacing him is like for like really, but maybe more of a power option.
Getting an extra experienced hooker was always going to be needed.
His ability to play tighthead if needed also gives us depth. Briggs out, Bateman in, no change in terms of depth and salary I'd guess.
1. Ayerza, Rizzo, Bristow, Brugnara, Sio?
2. Youngs, Ghiraldini, Bateman, Thacker, Farnworth.
3. Cole, Mulipola, Balmain, Pasqualli. (Bateman?).

Fitzgerald, much like Williams, will he be seen as a lock or 6, or both? Sounds a tidy player either way.
Thorn, Deacon, Parling and Price out, Williams, Fitzgerald plus maybe Whetton and/or Peterson. Balanced the ins and outs, probably with less wages too.
4. Slater, Williams, Peterson?
5. Kitchener, Fitzgerald, de Chaves, Whetton?

The back row options depend very much on where the club see Fitzgerald and Williams playing, but much more importantly the future of Croft, Salvi and Barbieri, all rumoured to be out of contract. With Gibson already having left, plus the previous departure of Matera and Mafi, that leaves is with new signing O'Connor as our only out and out flanker contracted for next season. Some talented youngsters in the background for LV, but looking at Europe and Premiership, still work to do here I'd hope, be that securing the futures of those above, or going back out shopping for genuine flanker replacements. Utilising lock/flanker options at 6 makes me certain the 7 needs be a breakdown machine.
6. Croft?, Williams/Fitzgerald?
7. Salvi?, O'Connor, Barbieri?
8. Crane, Fonua, Pearce.

Halfbacks remain relatively unchanged i believe, other than Bell's emergence as a backup ten being needed with Williams out long term.
9. Youngs, Mele, Harrison
10. Burns, Williams. (Bai/Bell)

The usually dependable partnership of Allen and Manu has been largely unavailable this year, so maybe an area to look at. With Tait gone, plus the added marquee spot, hopefully two new backs coming in to add a cutting edge in midfield and a replacement 15. Betham has been touted, but is arguably more of a winger, so maybe more a replacement for Scully, albeit as a twice capped Wallaby, maybe more expensive. Loamanu has not really made much of an impact through injury. Will Hepetema and Pohe remain? The enigma that is Camacho...?
11. Goneva, Benjamin, Thompstone
12. Allen, Bai, Roberts, Hepetema?/Pohe?
13. Tuilagi, New Signing?, Smith, Catchpole.
14. Betham, Morris, Loamanu?/Camacho?
15. New Signing?, Bell, Morris.

Am I expecting too many incoming's still, assuming Betham is done.
Some listed above that need clarification of whether they'll be retained or not.
A new flanker if 1 or 2 of Croft, Salvi and Barbieri leave, maybe 2 incoming if all 3 go.
Plus a centre and fullback to fill Tait's spot and the extra marquee spot.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Salvi will not be with us next season.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

RagingBull wrote:Salvi will not be with us next season.
Source?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just saying.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Dan Carter is coming to Welford Road. Just saying.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:Dan Carter is coming to Welford Road. Just saying.
Carter already signed with a club.

I bet you Salvi will not be playing for us next season.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is what puzzles me. Was O'Connor signed to replace Salvi or was he signed in theory as well as.
This season we had Salvi, Barbieri and Gibson as potential openside options. If Salvi does go, as is being suggested, along with Barbieri and Gibson, we face going into next season with just O'Connor and no other natural flankers, let alone genuine openside options. Pearce, Crane and Fonua are pretty much out and out 8's not flankers, the likes of Williams and Fitzgerald are locks primarily who have been known to play 6. Croft, will his body hold up to get a new deal? Bit of an imbalance if we do lose Salvi and Barbieri, need to address that.

Elsewhere I assume Betham is another general signing and not the much discussed second marquee player. Which leaves room for another big name yet to arrive.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

FRUM, he is not necssarily the complete answer to the back row personnel, but I would see Beckett coming into the senior squad next year.
With Fanuoa and Crane at 8, will Pearce develop more as a 6?
Many people are saying that Barbieri is leaving; how firm is this? Isn't it very unusual for Tigers to sign a player on a 1 year deal?
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »