Why do people leave the ground early?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Why do people leave the ground early?

Post by Granby »

Well the obvious question in the spirit of the thread is what on earth are you doing watching the comings and goings of other people rather than watching the rugby?
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Perhaps they are in a direct line between the watcher and the Rugby :smt002
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

GB72 I have every right to criticise early leavers who can never have a valid reason to leave early. The majority of the crowd are season ticket holders who having paid a lot of money a long time ago for all the matches want the full on experience from start to finish.
1. It is rude to leave early
2 It is rude to interrupt someone's concentration whilst the ball is in play
3 It is inconsiderate to make a line of seated people get up and down so that the early leaver or weak bladderer can move along the row.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Isambard wrote:GB72 I have every right to criticise early leavers who can never have a valid reason to leave early. The majority of the crowd are season ticket holders who having paid a lot of money a long time ago for all the matches want the full on experience from start to finish.
3 It is inconsiderate to make a line of seated people get up and down so that the early leaver or weak bladderer can move along the row.
Have you asked if they have a valid reason for leaving early?
1. It is your opinion that it is rude to leave early, because you don't know everyone's reason for leaving early.
2. I totally agree
3. I happen to have a seat in the middle of the row. If there is a Friday evening match, if I don't catch the 21.48 to Birmingham to get my connecting train, according to trainline.com, I won't get back until 6.30 the following morning. I'll wait until a break in play, but I won't apologise for having to leave when I do, and I always thank people for getting up to let me out, which some people don't.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Isambard wrote:GB72 I have every right to criticise early leavers who can never have a valid reason to leave early. The majority of the crowd are season ticket holders who having paid a lot of money a long time ago for all the matches want the full on experience from start to finish.
It must follow then that there can never be a valid reason for arriving late. So, in the event of a puncture or a train delay en route causing you to miss the kick off by a couple of minutes, you would not take your seat until half time, as it would be inconsiderate to ask people to let you by, even during a break in play? What if they opt to not leave their seats at half time - I take it you would leave the ground. Really, absolute nonsense. I suspect that you would find that the vast majority of folk are far more accomodating and considerate than you appear to be.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I never leave early. However I will not apologise for having to go to the toilet when I have to go. I have a fairly major disability which means when I have to go, I have to go and I cannot always wait for a break in play. I personally don't complain when anyone else does it either, but I can't understand those who leave early. Why would you do that and potentially miss a match winning try?!
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

My view for what it's worth:

1. By all means leave early but not during play - not as on Saturday where I had to stop a group pushing past so I could see Bai score right in front of us. Of course, this didn't help the people to my left who suffered because of me.

2. And to those who arrive late/leave early - don't laugh and pretend it's funny when you are preventing me from watching the game! :smt013

And as an observation I never understood the family who used to sit just beyond me up until this season who every game, whatever the score, left 10 minutes early. The two boys used to beg to be allowed to watch the rest of the game, especially when it was close, but mum always said (exact words) 'No - I've had enough'. Just selfish parenting.
:smt018
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

The sole purpose of the audience at Twickenham is to get drunk and wander up and down the rows whilst some blokes are running around chasing an odd shaped ball on the green stuff. I can only hope and pray that Leicester don't make any finals so I don't have to experience again the misery of not being able to see the match.
Gezza

Post by Gezza »

At 91 years of age, unsteady on her feet and visually impaired my Mother a season ticket holder of twenty two years, now has problems negotiating steps. We leave early so that she can leave the ground safely unencumbered by people jostling around her. When we chose our seats we deliberately selected end of row seats slap bang next to the exit so that we wouldn't be disturbing anybody when we left. Even so, we still wait for the ball to go dead before we make our exit. So there are genuine reasons for people to leave early.
butler8
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by butler8 »

WirralExile wrote: Large numbers on Saturday missed the last try through leaving early so they missed a key score.
a key score!!?!!

in the 79th minute, when a try bonus point was never a realistic opportunity

boo hoo hoo!!!

yes i go earlier than the final whistle because queuing to pay for parking can be lengthy, getting out of the one way onto a main road can be painstaking, i dont lack patience but make the choice to do so and who are you to disagree otherwise!!?!!

most games this season i deserve a medal to have stuck it out until the 85th minute so ... you pays ya money ... ya makes ya choice!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

butler8 wrote:
WirralExile wrote: Large numbers on Saturday missed the last try through leaving early so they missed a key score.
a key score!!?!!

in the 79th minute, when a try bonus point was never a realistic opportunity

boo hoo hoo!!!

yes i go earlier than the final whistle because queuing to pay for parking can be lengthy, getting out of the one way onto a main road can be painstaking, i dont lack patience but make the choice to do so and who are you to disagree otherwise!!?!!

most games this season i deserve a medal to have stuck it out until the 85th minute so ... you pays ya money ... ya makes ya choice!
Where do you queue for parking? Newarke Street? That literally takes no longer than five or ten minutes. What are you in a rush for? You've only got to get back to Coalville for heaven's sake. If I lived there I'd be glad of any delay to get back there!

Do as you like, but if you get up to leave with the ball still in play and get in people's way then I'd have no qualms in blocking your way until it suited me.

You deserve no medal, for the record.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Apart from those who have a clear need to vacate at times that suit them (HWW + Gezza), I can't understand the thought of not watching every second of every minute of the game. It is partly that I have paid for it all but also you can never tell what is going to happen -witness the Sale game + Glaws at home a couple of seasons ago.
What I hate about leaving is the dire exit capacity of the A&L stand or whatever it's called now and then the struggle past the Statue of Liberty to get on to Narborough Road. The Club could do us a favour by cutting out the bottom corners walls of the A&L ( or whatever it's called) so that the crowd doesn't have to climb back up to exit, but can then exit on the ground floor adjacent to the GMX & Crumbie stands (or whatever they are called this week)
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I must confess - if I'm hitch-hiking back home, I do like to leave early to avoid the traffic!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

That's easy to explain if they have to be somewhere else quickly after the game and if they have travelled by car then they know from experience that if they stayed to the very end then that puts on at least an hour to an hour and a half on their journey time due to the chaotic traffic situation post match at Welford Road.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Staying a few minutes longer puts an hour to an hour and a half on to a journey time?! How? :smt017

I drive to every game and live on the outskirts of Birmingham. If I leave a few minutes earlier will I get home in half the time it usually takes me which is about an hour?