England-Penalties

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

El Guapo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: England-Penalties

Post by El Guapo »

England will need to improve on that performance to beat France.
Cardiff Blues Supporter
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

England again strike me as a team treading water. Have they really made progress in the last couple of years? How long is this team going to be 'learning lessons'?

The pack were really poor for a supposedly 'world class unit'. Back three struggled positionally and aerially. Inaccurate in attack.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

El Guapo wrote:England will need to improve on that performance to beat France.
England will win if they turn up. France are woeful. Even though they're French, it's still sad to see a great rugby nation faltering like they are.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote:The ref was a homer, but England gave that away, stupid long kicks that gave Ireland all the time in the world. There's a few players that did not turn up today, poor rucking too. Daft bench with no proper locks on the field for the last quarter. Apart from the lack of height competing for the high ball, I thought Goode and Nowell were ok, gave us some go forwards in the loose. Hartley was exposed today as offering nothing and Marler seemed quiet.
Too nice about Nowell, otherwise agree. Perhaps we are seeing the result of having a numpty as Head Honcho, and only one coach who knows what he's doing?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

The line out needs to function again. Parling and Lawes for the next game please.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Experimental

Post by Experimental »

England's discipline was very poor today. There were a few 50 50 calls by Joubert that went Irelands way, but they were defiantly the better team. England were beaten well in the lineout, in the air and defensively. I'm finding it hard to think of an area where England were better tbh...
Considering Irelands record in Cardiff its hard to see them not slamming.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

I agree with the comments about Lancaster. With about 23 minutes to go Clive Woodward said it was time for some imagination in the use of subs and mentioned Cipriani. I think he was right but Lancaster simply does not have any imagination. What does this tell Cipriani? He came on against Italy when we were already almost out of sight but otherwise it's "you may be part of the match day 23 but you have no tactical value. You'll only come on if the starter gets injured. In fact, you're really only keeping the bench warm until the other Daddy's boy returns."

What is the point of having a mercurial talent on the bench if you're going to give him a chance to dig you out of a hole (of your own making.). I too am deeply frustrated at the lack of...er...well, everything really.

:smt011
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Not using Cips when we clearly needed something different was a big mistake and I thought Robshaw had a poor game.

Croft should have been brought on much sooner imo.

We definitely miss Brown and I can think of a number of better wingers to have replaced May.

We didn't get the rub but probably didn't deserve to. You can't concede 13 penalties at this level and expect to win and the captain should have lead by example.

In the end, though it pains me to say so, the best team won.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Too many England penalties came from not looking after the ball at the breakdown, too few men committed to rucks resulted in turn overs or penalties for holding on at the ruck. A host of inaccuracies, such as under throwing at the line out in attacking positions, kicking with no chasers and a singular inability to catch a garryowen meant we rarely got on the front foot. When we finally corrected some of that, we started making headway but it was too little, too late.

Of course, we were never helped by a ref who, for example, couldn't spot a blocking player, but that wasn't enough to explain the loss.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Lancaster was very slow to change what was obviously broken, Kruis and Attwood are not top test match locks and Haskell wasn't doing much either and the centre pair offered nothing in attack and not much in defence.

Joubert was calling for England tacklers to release immediately but never once called for Irish to do the same
covrich

Post by covrich »

Don't think Joubert was great but England only have themselves to blame. we got totally outplayed at the breakdown and they attacked us aerially whereas we kick with plenty of time back to them.. Ireland just much more streetwise than us.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

It looked like the Irish wanted it more, they were quicker to the breakdown, chased their kicks better and while Sexton was on the pitch looked better all round.

Very disappointing result. We didn't look like WC contenders in the slightest.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Stancaster is like Moores who is like Hodgson..

All 100% nice guys who are fu**ing useless at coaching top class players...

What is it about English Sporting Boards ?????
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Agreed - the Irish just looked more interested than we did, which is a terrible indictment frankly: how else do you win a Grand Slam?
Who's idea was it to test out Zebo's catching skills? Failed from the first........
Disagree with JG: thought Nowell was only one of three England starters(with Goode and Vunipola B) who looked like the shirt meant something.
If anything , the 2nd half changes with Croft,Wigglesworth,Easter, and Youngs coming on showed these 4 should have been on from the start : they looked like they CARED!!!!
Ref dire: usual missed quota of forward passes but suddenly imagined one when we dared threaten the Irish line, not that it would have made any difference by then.
Be honest , it wasn't a great game for either side, like France v Wales yesterday: the French have one idea - give the ball to Bastereau. The Welsh have one idea: cause a few penalties and Thrupenny will kick 'em
And to make it all worse is dynamic due of Butler and Moore commentating on this dross. Dross on Dross. And some Irish bloke who sounded familiar who forgot his words on at least three occasions. Has anyone got any of those 'I want Saints to beat Harlequins' pills left? Because I think I want Stuart Barnes back..............
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

I agree with everything that has been said on here. Haskell and vunipola gave away cheap penalties. Tbh England weren't ever in the game 1st half. How many more times will we big ourselves up and lose the crucial game?thought attwood didn't have a great game and if lawes had of had more game time he would of started. Thought nowell who hasn't been given much praise did good with what ball he had. Don't get me started on the ref.