Clubhouse End redevelopment

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
PAW

Re: Clubhouse End redevelopment

Post by PAW »

Looks very nice

Sadly no terracing

I am sure there will be a good reason though. May not be so understanding if there is no terrace when the Crumbies turn comes.
Frankers
Tiger Cub

Post by Frankers »

Looks great!

There's no terracing there now, so why would they include it?

Looking forward to the next coming years/decades when they get to match up all the other sides to this style.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Looks good. And the clubhouse lounge ST sounds like a good proposal, depending on cost of course...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Why does it need to slant down on the right hand side?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The slant is due to the shape of the road behind it.

I like absolutely everything about it.

Except...

It really doesn't sit right with me calling this new exclusive club lounge "The Clubhouse". A clubhouse is a place for anyone to go as a social hub to mingle with fellow fans, opposition and players. A Clubhouse absolutely is not some exclusive club for the wealthiest fans.

Call me picky but it doesn't feel right at all.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

ourla wrote:Why does it need to slant down on the right hand side?
I assume that side of the ground needs to be narrower (ie have fewer seats) to accommodate the road. A slanted roof is probably a more attractive option that a tall pointless wall, I suppose.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Iain wrote:The slant is due to the shape of the road behind it.

I like absolutely everything about it.

Except...

It really doesn't sit right with me calling this new exclusive club lounge "The Clubhouse". A clubhouse is a place for anyone to go as a social hub to mingle with fellow fans, opposition and players. A Clubhouse absolutely is not some exclusive club for the wealthiest fans.

Call me picky but it doesn't feel right at all.
Exactly my feeling on reading what, is in any other sense, an exciting development. Why not just 'The Posh End'? Perhaps it can be sponsored by Rolex, or is that soooo yesterday?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ourla wrote:Why does it need to slant down on the right hand side?
The originally planned design had sloping roofs at both ends to tie into the overall horseshoe design, maybe it's just so it still fits when (if) the development is finally complete.
Frankers wrote:There's no terracing there now, so why would they include it?
Again, the original design appeared to show terracing around three sides of the ground (Clubhouse, Crumbie and Goldsmiths stands), maybe that's why people were expecting it.

I think it looks fine.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The new design isn't as high as the initial design which did suggest that there would be terracing at both ends but I think it will in the end be limited to the new south stand redevelopment when it comes.

The reduced height (and presumably similar reduced height of the south stand) will no doubt partially account for the reduction to 28.5k for the full redevelopment (previously 30k). The move from terracing at the club house end may also account for some loss. I guess someone has calculated that sell out games are limited and it is better to sell seated tickets rather than standing on a regular basis. Also, additional seating will be required on a temporary basis for H&B members whilst redevelopment takes place.

The Clubhouse stand looks as if it could wrap around and join up with a new south stand giving additional corner seating. However, I think it will be difficult to justify the redevelopment of the Goldsmith stand on financial grounds alone.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

In some way I would love to see the new infrastructure incorporate the old building to keep some of our old history in the club. That apart love the look of it !
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The slant is due to the shape of the road behind it.
Ah, I get it. So as the depth of the stand tapers in (for the road) there has to equally be a tapering of the height. Makes sense now. I just think it's great that end is being sorted out.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

rocktop51 wrote:In some way I would love to see the new infrastructure incorporate the old building to keep some of our old history in the club. That apart love the look of it !
Look at the later application and submitted plans and those few comments to the Council in support of the construction of the new superb facility.
I am not sure if this new stand actually increases the LENGTH of the pitch from Alliance & Leicester / Goldsmiffs to Clubhouse new redevelopment - any one know?
The Council website still does not advise full planning permission has been granted. Bring it on asap.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

According to Tigers website "Construction is scheduled to begin in May after the last home game of the regular season (against Northampton Saints on Saturday, May 16) and the stand will be in operation for the 2015/16 season".
Looks like we have already given up on a home SF.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I agree with most of the posts. It is needed, it looks fine, and it will, hopefully, contribute to an even better atmosphere within the stadium as a whole.

All that aside, the capital cost seems relatively high. I know there are offices etc, and a shop incorporated, but looking purely on selling seats, it is 3,100 seats at a cost of £8m. I think the Cat Stand was 10,000 seats at a cost of £14m. Even allowing for some inflation, they are expensive seats.

As I said, I think that this investment is much needed, and I feel sure that the Board will have fully considered the financial implications. However, I do recall that the debt carried from the Cat Stand weighed heavily for a few years, and whilst this is less, it is still a considerable amount given our profit level.