Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: 5 Laws you'd like to see changed in rugby

Post by jgriffin »

4071 wrote:
GETHIN EXILE wrote:I notice that to make the choke tackle effective a defender has to get on the wrong side of the ball, if once other players join the referee calls "maul" surely any player bound on the wrong side of the ball must release the ball as they are offside as they did not join the maul from behind the back foot. It would only take a few penalties for players to think twice about their positioning
They didn't join the maul at all - the maul joined them. Therefore they have not committed an offence.
The only offence AFAIK is a defender preventing the second attacker joining on to make a maul (Penalty). This is what Dayglo gets upset about, as he sees the twirling and chuffing about as preventing a maul being formed (i.e. binding on).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

no conflict in banning quick throws but making lines be taken in a reasonable amount of time

The line out should form that's all

The reason I am against quick throws is that, far from hoofing up the field being boring - it is an very precise and skilful art to be able to kick to touch and make it bounce infield and make a good distance - an art almost lost - the resulting throw in with no lifting becomes a much more genuine jumping contest and therefore easier to turnover and gain good attacking position in the oppositions 22
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

mightymouse wrote: The line out should form that's all
More delays then! I would suggest that if you asked a 100 spectators would they rather see a player running with with the ball (or chasing their kick) or a load of fatboys waddling up to form a line out after they've had a little nice little natter, I think the vast majority would opt for the former.

We already play less rugby than we did 20 years ago, why make it worse?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Make the offside line at a maul the ball. Or once the ball leaves the front player it must be used within 5 seconds.

Immediate release of the ball by the tacked player. No rolling or squeeze ball.

Off feet at the ruck should apply to both sides.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The game is Rugby union Football - 15 men of different skills attributes, and capabilities - those who do not like scrums line outs etc are watching the wrong game - if you like the ball continuously in play and scores being racked up constantly try basketball - but allowing quick throws just actually means - people running from deep at a line of defenders, tackle and then start the whole dreary process of 2 lines battering into each other again al la rugby league - The only difference is that with RL at least you get a chance with the
ball after the 6th tackle
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

What's wrong with taking advantage of territory with a quick throw as you would with a quick tap penalty? or a quick free kick?

Line outs should always be a tactical option where necessary as should a quick throw in.
mightymouse wrote:but allowing quick throws just actually means - people running from deep at a line of defenders, tackle and then start the whole dreary process of 2 lines battering into each other again
Alternatively the ball is passed from the line out and then... repeat as above!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Nothing wrong with a quick line out. It can be a way of speeding the game up and not allowing the opposition the time to reorganize their defense.

However the dummy throw laws should be applied so we don't see this pathetic "Shall I, Shan't I" routine that wastes time.
I'd apply that to 22 drop outs too one pass to your kicker and then you take it.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

One change I think should be considered is the substitution of yellow carded front row players. I have felt for a long time that when a team has a front row player yellow carded and a scrum is called the other side should have the choice of which player is replaced by the incoming front row player. It would make for a very interesting game if the non offending team could nominate say the fly half as the player who has to go off rather than the offending team taking a flanker off and then putting a winger onto the flank especially if the scrum was in the first minute or two of the sin bin period.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

One change - limit the number of subs.

Key worries in the games are survivability, concussions, and becoming to bosh bash bosh because of the size of players. One of the main reasons players get bigger and bigger is that the largest guys know they only have to play fifty minutes. If they have to play eighty most games, the conditioning balance between endurance and strength changes.

So you can have six, seven or eight guys on the bench, but you're only allowed to use three of them. If you've used all three and one of your front row is injured, you have to bring back on one of the previously subbed players to allow the replacement front row to come on.

So you can only ever have three players who started on the bench on the the pitch.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

mol2 wrote:Make the offside line at a maul the ball. Or once the ball leaves the front player it must be used within 5 seconds.

Immediate release of the ball by the tacked player. No rolling or squeeze ball.

Off feet at the ruck should apply to both sides.
I do agree with your last two points but I couldn't disagree more with the first one. A perfectly executed driving maul is a thing of beauty. Your proposals would effectively kill off not just the maul, but attacking set plays off the back of a maul. That would be awful for the game of rugby and would take us another step closer to league.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

1) Ban the hit on scrums. Pack down, hold you push, push.

2) Offences at scrums = free kick, no permitted re-scrum. Tap and go, bomb or kick to touch.

3) Ball goes in straight at the scrum and line out. Sorry both those laws exist but need to be enforced.

4) Ban lifting in the line out. I've had enough of the ballet and someone's going to break his neck coming down from that height. Yes the line out would be more of a lottery, but I'd like to see more competition for the ball. You can ban the 5m law as well.

5) The tackle. I don't want to sound cissy but something has to be done. It should be a means of bringing you opponent to ground and dispossessing him, Not an assault. Bring the height down to the chest and make sure the arms grasp. Not thrown in as an afterthought.

I should add HARRUMPH!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Big Dai wrote:
I should add HARRUMPH!
...and damn this new fangled 'colour' on the television.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

biffer wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
I should add HARRUMPH!
...and damn this new fangled 'colour' on the television.
:smt005 What's the point! In a proper game both teams end up wearing brown shirts anyway! :smt023
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

http://tinyurl.com/khra8v5

Steve Hansen agrees with us. :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Further to Big Dai's points

1) Ensure all players in the scrum stay bound with the full length of their arm(s) - how often do we see back rowers standing up with only their hand in contact with the lock.

2) 3 offences by same team - all further offences full penalty.

3) Automatic free kick.

4) Gap to be maintained at all times - how often do we see players stepping into the gap to change position in the lineout. Personally I'd line to see the 5m and 15m lines moved to 10 and 20.

5)Return to old laws whereby the ball must be clearly released as soon as any part of the ball carrier other than his feet hit the floor and make referees ensure this happens before the tackle is declared as being complete, too often tacklers are penalised for not rolling away while the tackle player is still holding the ball.