Saints game in May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

divingrob

Saints game in May

Post by divingrob »

Just a rumor going around Twitter. The final home game of the season against Northampton might be played across the road at the Walkers/KP stadium.
Tigersunited

Re: Saints game in May

Post by Tigersunited »

Noooo..... A little bird told me that we might be moving it to FG - but then flew off chirping after all the bread had gone. I imagine my rumour has more chance than those on twitter.... Keep the faith "I believe in Leicester Tigers"
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

We would not give up home advantage.

Why should we, after all there is plenty of room for Tigers supporters
KUSADASI TIGER

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

The rumour is based on the possibility of the Clubhouse stand development needing an extra week to build not for a bigger crowd
be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

However Big this game is in RU terms and it may be the biggest game of the season for Tigers, particularly if they have to win it to secure a top 4 place. There is no way that this game will be played anywhere other than Welford Road, so put these silly rumours where they belong, IN THE WASTE BIN.
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

"The clash between the Saints and Saracens is being used by England Rugby 2015 as a Rugby World Cup test event, and specific matchday operations – car parking, transport, etc – will be confirmed closer to the time, along with entertainment and the matchday village."

That's from the Saints website regarding the game against Saracens, the RWC fools may well want a test event across the road too, with the redevelopment work going off too, it might well happen.

I hope it doesn't
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

divingrob wrote:"The clash between the Saints and Saracens is being used by England Rugby 2015 as a Rugby World Cup test event, and specific matchday operations – car parking, transport, etc – will be confirmed closer to the time, along with entertainment and the matchday village."

That's from the Saints website regarding the game against Saracens, the RWC fools may well want a test event across the road too, with the redevelopment work going off too, it might well happen.

I hope it doesn't
they get test events every other weekend when 32000 football fans go to watch a game, the stadium already has a history of hosting Rugby matches too
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Although it may upset some, the fact it may be a dead rubber for us by then, and potentially allow an extra 8-10,000 ticket sales, might just make commercial sense - particularly if it is funded by the RWC as a test event.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

There may be all sorts of reasons why Tigers would move this game to the King Power Stadium and I seriously hope they DO NOT. However, using this game as an RWC test event is highly unlikely to be the reason. Anyone who has applied to be a RWC volunteer will know that the organisers have assigned 16th May as the gathering day for all volunteers at the MK Dons stadium, starting at 11 am and running through until 4pm. I can't see that they would run a test event at the same time as circa 6000 volunteers are turning up in MK. Those who have been notified of their selection and their role assigned have already received an invitation to attend this event.
palletman

Post by palletman »

Going on the last posting in my opinion the club, TIGERS, should come clean regarding this thread/rumour NOW. Have we not had enough messing around this season with Kick Off's and match-day movements!
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

I agree with palletman. Another reason why Tigers would (probably) be reluctant to move the game is that they would have to issue EVERY season ticket holder with a replacement paper ticket as I doubt that the King Power Stadium system would read our plastic cards. That is around 15,000 tickets and 15,000 stamps plus the physical cost of printing and envelope stuffing. I may be wrong but the only occasion I can recall when we have moved "over the road" has been when the game was not included in the season ticket (Heineken QF) and as a consequence, carried a one-off pricing system.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:I agree with palletman. Another reason why Tigers would (probably) be reluctant to move the game is that they would have to issue EVERY season ticket holder with a replacement paper ticket as I doubt that the King Power Stadium system would read our plastic cards. That is around 15,000 tickets and 15,000 stamps plus the physical cost of printing and envelope stuffing. I may be wrong but the only occasion I can recall when we have moved "over the road" has been when the game was not included in the season ticket (Heineken QF) and as a consequence, carried a one-off pricing system.
the KPS uses a card system for our season ticket holders I'm sure they could easily adapt them for this 1 game, should it happen
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:I may be wrong but the only occasion I can recall when we have moved "over the road" has been when the game was not included in the season ticket (Heineken QF) and as a consequence, carried a one-off pricing system.

The last game of the season before the CAT stand was opened was played over there, think it was Bristol although I'm not sure. If development needs to start earlier then it is a viable option to move.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

kingol22 wrote:The last game of the season before the CAT stand was opened was played over there, think it was Bristol although I'm not sure.
You are correct, it was the 73-3 tonking of Brizzle. What made me smile was the futile attempt of the stewards to stop a heap of Tigers supporters moving from one end of the ground to the other at half time so they would get a better view of the tries Leicester scored.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Yes I was there. That one had slipped my memory but prior to the CAT stand, we only had a booklet of lettered vouchers, not electronic cards. Much easier to handle in a different stadium. It was hilarious but the football trained stewards were quite happy as they realised we were not going to make any fuss for them. I said to one of them that it was the first time I had seen the crowd change ends at half time as well as the teams. He laughed and replied "me too".