Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Owen Williams out for 9 months

Post by jgriffin »

drc_007 wrote:
Rykard wrote:I wonder if there is any analysis going on with regards to the artificial pitches and injuries. It's got to be a huge advantage to players who regularly play on them.
I don't know about rugby but in hockey there has been a significant increase in the number of knee injuries with the advent of artificial pitches.
Knee injuries came with 'tray' pitches like the Millenium in footie and rugby, but artificial hasn't enough history to get a full analysis (like hockey). Can't believe our (and his) bad luck.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sapajo wrote:A hammer blow for Owen and the club, full details reported here
http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/218 ... OIISulyZcc

3rd ACL injury in two seasons leaves us very exposed at 10 but will give Burns a starting birth. If Burns is injured then who is left to do the business at 10? :smt010
IIRC Mele was a 9/10 when he signed so he could cover in a pinch, obviously Seremaia Bai and Tommy Bell can also play 10, all of which were mentioned in your own link
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Maybe that's why there were rumours of Matt Cornwall coming back to the club ....

As the saviour of Welford road ! Rather than the new director of rugby
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Knightonian wrote:Maybe that's why there were rumours of Matt Cornwall coming back to the club ....

As the saviour of Welford road ! Rather than the new director of rugby
Cheap cap option, knows the Tigers way. Makes some sense.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mrs G now deeply distressed and only partially relieved by next dose of Broadchurch (now what is that about, it's like East Enders on steroids) and possibility of becoming granny again despite being quite a young thing still. It has been a rubbish day for me despite feeling better, bad enough to see the opinion polls during the HSBC scandal (now whose father was HSBC's man in HongKong?) but then to be presented with the news about OW! It's like discovering Nick Easter is a transvestite or Andy Goode a vegan - your world is in tatters.
:smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Even with Owen out we've still got two fly halves with international experience in Bai and Burns. The talented young Bryant as back up. I was actually disappointed not to see Bryant play in the last two LV gamed given how well he played against LI and Sale.

I'd say all three are better options than Cornwall. Especially when you consider that we have Bell who can also play 10 and who is a good goal kicking option from 15.

I think Cornwall is more likely to be taking a behind the scenes job. I get the impression he's an intelligent guy and he knows the club.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Iain wrote:Well it's pleasing to see that nobody has jumped in with the usual lazy assumption that the club are some way at fault so far. There's still time though of course...
Surely its obvious it is all Cockers and the clubs fault. The club must do something about how the players are prepared for these matches. Why are we the only one's that get so many injuries, it cannot be bad luck so it must be the clubs fault. The squad is broken, the pitch is broken, next thing you will tell me is that the burger van is broken. In the name of God go Cockers before you ruin this club completely. :smt003
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

Poor Owen. Let's hope Burns can step up.

Nine months!!! :smt010
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Must be devastating for the player, even if the hope of a RWC slot was just a glimmer this time it has gone completely now. Keep your head up out of dark places over the next 9 months and Let's hope the rehab goes well, take all the time needed and come back stronger.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Surely its obvious it is all Cockers and the clubs fault.
Now that might be taking it a little too far but a few rugby playing friends I know do tell me RC has a reputation of expecting players to give 100% in all training sessions and he has a mentality of 'if you don't train, you don't play'. I suspect some players are being pushed too hard at times and if the news about Ed Slater sustaining another injury in training because he 'pushed too hard, too early' then that worries me.

My other gripe is that Williams was injured in an LV Cup pool match.

Seriously, what happens if Freddie gets crocked at the weekend?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

MrPartridge wrote:
Now that might be taking it a little too far but a few rugby playing friends I know do tell me RC has a reputation of expecting players to give 100% in all training sessions and he has a mentality of 'if you don't train, you don't play'. I suspect some players are being pushed too hard at times and if the news about Ed Slater sustaining another injury in training because he 'pushed too hard, too early' then that worries me.
You have to train to match intensity some of the time though I doubt Slater was. You can't attribute Williams or Slaters rehabilitation setback to overtraining IMO.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Now Freddie Burns has to deliver on that huge salary we are paying him.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote:
MrPartridge wrote:
You have to train to match intensity some of the time though I doubt Slater was. You can't attribute Williams or Slaters rehabilitation setback to overtraining IMO.
Indeed Cockers is on record saying how much they have to hold players back from training too hard during rehab.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

huge salary we are paying him.
How much?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

A real shame for Williams but it could work in our favour-er-isnt'Dan Carter Mauger's pal and looking for a coaching cum playing position after the World Cup!!
In the meantime there are some incredibly tough games coming up, Irish, Sale and Newcastle!! And Newcastle away is astro turf!!!
If we can finish anywhere near the top four this season the whole club will have performed brilliantly. Well done so far because I seriously doubt whether any other team would have, yet again overcome such horrendous injuries-and mainly as a result of playing, not training!!