Bronze Member

No roof tomorrow night - GOOD!

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: No roof tomorrow night - GOOD!

Post by Iain »

Been made to be a much bigger issue than it is. The team that plays the best rugby will win.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Iain wrote:Been made to be a much bigger issue than it is.
Not at all. Why should five of the stadia used for the 6N be open to the elements and the sixth isn't?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
Iain wrote:Been made to be a much bigger issue than it is.
Not at all. Why should five of the stadia used for the 6N be open to the elements and the sixth isn't?
Why shouldn't it have a roof?

Do all stadia have to be identical to avoid any other discrepancies?

I prefer it having the roof open, but in the grand scheme of things it is minor.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Irrespective of whether the roof is open or closed the very best teams can play under any weather conditions and on any pitch. What a feeble excuse would England trot out if they lose. Oh well the roof was open. Pathetic.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I have no objection to the stadium having a roof. I do object to it being used during the 6N as it creates artificial conditions. The last time I checked, 15-a-side rugby union was an outdoor sport.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:I have no objection to the stadium having a roof. I do object to it being used during the 6N as it creates artificial conditions. The last time I checked, 15-a-side rugby union was an outdoor sport.
There is no reason why it can't be played under a roof. Why is the Six Nations sacrosanct for that? Should Australia never play in the Telstra Dome? Should the All Blacks never play in Dunedin?
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

You're missing the basic point. In a tournament that uses six different stadia, why should one of them create an artificial playing environment whilst the others cannot? I've no objection to the roof being closed for one-off matches, e.g. the Autumn Internationals.

I do not consider the 6N to be sacrosanct. I hope the roof will not be closed during the World Cup.
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:You're missing the basic point. In a tournament that uses six different stadia, why should one of them create an artificial playing environment whilst the others cannot? I've no objection to the roof being closed for one-off matches, e.g. the Autumn Internationals.

I do not consider the 6N to be sacrosanct. I hope the roof will not be closed during the World Cup.
I saw a tweet from Brett Gosper (CEO of World Rugby) yesterday who confirmed that the RWC policy is for the roof to be closed for RWC matches, so unfortunately it will be closed during the World Cup.

He tweeted the following: "As some are asking...Rugby World Cup policy on stadia roofs is that where a venue has a roof, it will be closed for RWC matches. #RWC2015"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The purpose of the roof is clear. Protection from inclement whether. If there was heavy rain or snow forecast it would make sense to have it closed. What surprises me a little is that it is reported the two teams must agree whether to have it open or closed. I would have thought it would be down to an independent person or body. Surely if it was due to pour with rain all day England couldn't veto the closing of the roof? If there is no threat to the game taking place because of the weather, it shouldn't be closed.

I don't agree that it makes no difference. I wouldn't use at as an excuse but it certainly creates a different environment. And if you think that makes no difference then I would suggest that is down to your experience. At the elite level of sport there are often small margins between success and failure. Also, inexperienced players or coaches will be more phased by it. And we have quite a lot of inexperienced players.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I remember when we played Munster in the Heineken final there, the roof was closed so the fly past by the Red Arrows was invisible to those of us in the stadium.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

CJ wrote:I remember when we played Munster in the Heineken final there, the roof was closed so the fly past by the Red Arrows was invisible to those of us in the stadium.
It must have been because the Red Arrows were decked out in Munster's colours and the (Irish) managers of the HC didn't want to give them too much of a boost! :smt002 :smt003
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:...You're missing the basic point. In a tournament that uses six different stadia, why should one of them create an artificial playing environment whilst the others cannot? ...
I feel much the same way about Saffacens.
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:I have no objection to the stadium having a roof. I do object to it being used during the 6N as it creates artificial conditions. The last time I checked, 15-a-side rugby union was an outdoor sport.
I agree. Wales have closed the roof before now when the sun was shining and there was no rain in the forecast. They do it to intimidate the opposition, especially if it is England!! :smt027
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

What are you on about? I take it your not actually going to the game?

Its a roof, it will allow for a good attacking game of rugby for both sides in dry conditions. The pitch at the millennium is rubbish and the slightest rain, damp, frost churns the thing up which in turn leads to a host of collapsed scrums and handling errors of which most of you will start moaning about as it will 'ruin the game'.

Last time the atmosphere was unbelievable, get the roof shut and lets have another cracker ;-)

From an Englishman!