tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Nail Briggs ----> Sale Sharks

Post by tigerburnie »

RagingBull wrote::smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Number 2.

:smt018
I said Could, not Should, keeps OTY on his toes with genuine competition for the shirt, exactly what we want and with young Thacker pushing both of them. As Kornboy said, we need that sort of competition for all the positions.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

kornboy130 wrote:
Iain wrote:Oh noes Tigers must be doing something terrible why didn't we move heaven and earth to keep hold of every player there is clearly something wrong people clearly don't want to play for us any more its the start of a big decline we shouldn't be giving players to anyone you have to ask yourself how hard we tried to keep him he was never given proper opportunities this is all Cockers fault we have gone backwards under Cockers those titles we won were just because we had good players you must be blind if you can't see the decline clear out the coaching staff and start afresh.

Actually a someone who has bemoaned our signing policy/academy usage recently - I'm pretty chuffed we seem to be going with Thacker and looking to bring him through behind an aging Ghiraldini and England Hooker Tom Youngs.

That split of:

1st Choice: Great player
2nd Choice: Great/Good player
3rd Choice: Bright (preferably academy produced) Youngster looking to become 1st choice

is something I'd like to see in every position.
Absolutely! That should be the model to aim at. I really hope we don't look to recruit at hooker now, and instead go with the kids coming through.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

tigerburnie wrote:

Number 2.

I said Could, not Should, keeps OTY on his toes with genuine competition for the shirt, exactly what we want and with young Thacker pushing both of them. As Kornboy said, we need that sort of competition for all the positions.
Don't think you got what I was laughing at.

Think immature.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Iain wrote:Anyone sensible will see that the pecking order is already Youngs, Ghiraldini, Thacker. You could argue Farnsworth ahead of Briggs too.
What makes you think that? Have either of Thacker or Farnsworth been picked ahead of Briggs when Briggs has been available?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

4071 wrote:
Iain wrote:Anyone sensible will see that the pecking order is already Youngs, Ghiraldini, Thacker. You could argue Farnsworth ahead of Briggs too.
What makes you think that? Have either of Thacker or Farnsworth been picked ahead of Briggs when Briggs has been available?
Fair point.

What I'm getting at is he's not going to be getting much in the way of game time if he stays.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

The nice thing is we have two good replacements, Thacker and Farnworth, I guess Thacker will be third choice currently.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

4071 wrote:
Thacker starts (quite rightly IMO) in the LV cup game tomorrow with Briggs on the bench. I assume that means Farnsworth is not really ready for first team gametime yet ?
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

RagingBull wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:

Number 2.

Don't think you got what I was laughing at.

Think immature.
I got it, does that make me immature?

I really hope it does..... :smt030
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I wonder if this is the great chutes comeback

After all of Thorn can do it .....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jay C wrote:
4071 wrote:
Thacker starts (quite rightly IMO) in the LV cup game tomorrow with Briggs on the bench. I assume that means Farnsworth is not really ready for first team gametime yet ?
Farnworth has joined up with the England under 20s squad for the J6N.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Earlier posts allude to Thacker being selected at 7. I might have missed something but I thought he was thrown into covering open side during a game, when we ran out of flankers.
Is there any record of the club or the player actually saying he was potentially being developed as a flanker?
:smt017
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

L Smith wrote:Earlier posts allude to Thacker being selected at 7. I might have missed something but I thought he was thrown into covering open side during a game, when we ran out of flankers.
Is there any record of the club or the player actually saying he was potentially being developed as a flanker?
:smt017
He played 7 in the A league game against Saints a couple of weeks ago.