Gibson going to saints!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Knightonian

Re: Gibson going to saints!!

Post by Knightonian »

Always sad to lose a good player

Gibson has had a lot of game time since coming to Tigers so it can't be about opportunity.

If he wants to go, thanks for the hard graft but please don't let him near the first team from now on, let's use Barbieri and develop our loyal players.

Let's all be realistic at his best Croft is unique and world class - he's immense - Gibson isn't yet at that level.

I can understand people moving on and going for opportunity and money but moving to a rival club (and they are) means he isn't a tiger and shouldn't play for us again
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Quote:
tigerburnie
The Boy Dave wrote:
Fantastic young back row player Gibson, needed backing at this time.
No need to worry though, Crane is the future!

If a player chooses to go, what do you propose the club can do if the contract has finished?
Cheap shot at one of the best forwards on the pitch last week only confirms your lack of understanding of the game or the club

Just being honest tigerburnie, and your opinion on performance last week is just another example of how opinions can differ, that's fine.
Crane played OK but I thought Barbieri was an improvement to be honest.
Gibson could have a big future IMO, obviously Saints feel the same.
Lack of understanding, if you say so.

Fair comment, a smiley might help read if it's tongue in cheek or a cheap shot, I mis read your intentions.
As for the others, sure Daves big enough to answer for himself and he has done so with maybe more dignity than I deserved, well done to him.
Just very disappointed to see another good player leave, simple as that.
I am always open to being proved wrong, that which Tait has done recently, and accept sometimes the timing in comings and goings isn't quite right.
I don't like the disloyal comments, he has worked very hard IMO.
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheery chappy
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

All of whom are capped internationals and none of whom really fall into a "journeyman" category.[/quote]

Ghiraldini 4 clubs,
Thorn 7 clubs,
Rizzo 3 clubs,
Barbieri 4 clubs,
Bai 8 clubs
and Loamanu 4 clubs.
Bai and Thorn definitely journeymen.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Sadly, Tigers don't show loyalty, the way Lewis Moody was treated proved that.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Smudge wrote:Sadly, Tigers don't show loyalty, the way Lewis Moody was treated proved that.
You're running slow today Smudge at least a page later than I expected, yet another case where hindsight is a luxury, this time it's me that benefits. It turned out we were right to let Lewis go, good bit of business. I didn't want him to go any more than you did, but we are sentimental old souls from a bye gone era.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spicer wrote:All of whom are capped internationals and none of whom really fall into a "journeyman" category.
Ghiraldini 4 clubs,
Thorn 7 clubs,
Rizzo 3 clubs,
Barbieri 4 clubs,
Bai 8 clubs
and Loamanu 4 clubs.
Bai and Thorn definitely journeymen.[/quote]

Brad Thorn is 6 and that's including us) Canterbury and crusaders are the same thing basically just 1 is a ITM team the other a super rugby team.

Harsh to be including teams that were not playing in the top flight teir.

A lot of the Italian clubs and SH clubs don't have promotion so the main way to move up is to move club.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Smudge wrote:Sadly, Tigers don't show loyalty, the way Lewis Moody was treated proved that.
Moody wasn't offered a multi year deal which proved to be categorically the right call! How you cannot see that with hindsight is unreal or would you rather we just gave all great players now prone to injury 3 year deals? :smt003
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Opeti Fonua 28 yrs old, Tigers is his sixth club and has 5 caps for Tonga :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

How is this relevant to this situation? Gibson has chosen to join saints, we didn't let him go.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

RagingBull wrote:
Spicer wrote:All of whom are capped internationals and none of whom really fall into a "journeyman" category.
Ghiraldini 4 clubs,
Thorn 7 clubs,
Rizzo 3 clubs,
Barbieri 4 clubs,
Bai 8 clubs
and Loamanu 4 clubs.
Bai and Thorn definitely journeymen.
Brad Thorn is 6 and that's including us) Canterbury and crusaders are the same thing basically just 1 is a ITM team the other a super rugby team.

Harsh to be including teams that were not playing in the top flight teir.

A lot of the Italian clubs and SH clubs don't have promotion so the main way to move up is to move club.[/quote]

My bad, 6 it is.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Knightonian wrote: let's use Barbieri and develop our loyal players.
Hasn't Barbieri also been linked with a move away?

And I'm not sure playing for us for a few months is enough to class a player as 'loyal'. Gibson was 'loyal' for a season and a half, too. And Treviso probably thought Barbieri was 'loyal' as well. Until he moved to a more successful club, as Gibson may have just done.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Barbieri is still under contract.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

One thing is certainly noticeable the last 3-4 years is the huge churn of players in and out. How can we expect to achieve consistency when shipping so nay in and out? Saints and Saracens have stemmed that of late whereas we seem content to focus are recruitment on largely second to third rate players and plenty of them.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm uncomfortable with players being described as "disloyal", we don't know what the details are. Lets say we are sorry he's going, wish him well(but not too well)and look forwards.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

doublecarpet wrote:One thing is certainly noticeable the last 3-4 years is the huge churn of players in and out. How can we expect to achieve consistency when shipping so nay in and out? Saints and Saracens have stemmed that of late whereas we seem content to focus are recruitment on largely second to third rate players and plenty of them.
Erm go ask the sinners fans if they agree, a top prop and their best forward Manoa going over the channel................................