Gibson going to saints!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Gibson going to saints!!

Post by Soggypitch »

I'm staggered at this news. I just can't believe that Saints can afford to pay him much more money than we can, both clubs pay up to the salary cap.

If that's the case,and he isn't going to Northampton for the scenery or to experience a new non rugby culture, why is he going?

Realistically there can only be one answer, he prefers the culture/set up at Saints rather than Tigers...

The question is why? Is it the coaching staff/style? Is it Tigers recruitment policy? Certainly he won't be guaranteed any more game time there.

Tait and Gibson are reputed to be some of the more cerebral of our players, likewise Parling, who may be leaving us for Exeter (why!!!!), perhaps it is something to do with Cockers coaching/management style, I don't know, but I'm very concerned and will be even more so if Geoff does confirm he's away to Exeter.

There is not one Tigers fan I personally know who thinks Crane is a better player than Waldrom (not that I'm having a go at JC, he is loyal and a gives his all), yet Waldrom it was who left....the only explanation really being a clash of personality/serious difference of opinion with Cockers. Perhaps we are getting more like the old Man U, if your face didn't fit with Fergie you were out! I'd settle for that if only our results and form were better!
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rumours going around saints offered him a fair amount more than us.

Closer to Oxford (Not by much TBH).

reading the recent Gibson interviews it sounds like he it might not have been a great culture match maybe?

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features ... gby-dream/
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Rizzo wrote:May I respectfully suggest that if you want to discuss Lewis Moody and what you think did or did not happen, you create a thread to do so.

This thread is discussing Gibson's departure at the end of the season. Please stick to the topic.
The real Rizzo left as Moderator - are you a re-incarnation or just an imposter?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Soggypitch wrote:I'm staggered at this news. I just can't believe that Saints can afford to pay him much more money than we can, both clubs pay up to the salary cap.

If that's the case,and he isn't going to Northampton for the scenery or to experience a new non rugby culture, why is he going?

Realistically there can only be one answer, he prefers the culture/set up at Saints rather than Tigers...

The question is why? Is it the coaching staff/style? Is it Tigers recruitment policy? Certainly he won't be guaranteed any more game time there.

Tait and Gibson are reputed to be some of the more cerebral of our players, likewise Parling, who may be leaving us for Exeter (why!!!!), perhaps it is something to do with Cockers coaching/management style, I don't know, but I'm very concerned and will be even more so if Geoff does confirm he's away to Exeter.

There is not one Tigers fan I personally know who thinks Crane is a better player than Waldrom (not that I'm having a go at JC, he is loyal and a gives his all), yet Waldrom it was who left....the only explanation really being a clash of personality/serious difference of opinion with Cockers. Perhaps we are getting more like the old Man U, if your face didn't fit with Fergie you were out! I'd settle for that if only our results and form were better!
They are losing some big players next season, that they are using the salary cap this year is irrelevant.

Can't really see that he has fallen for the cerebal charms of Westie and his mates Hartley and Clarke.

More to do with taking the £££££ IMO.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

....quite possibly the money but the fact that he was brought in to compete/rotate with Salvi at 7 but that's not happened due to the injury to Croft and Mafi's compassionate leave and then subsequent move to super rugby.

He has been excellent for us and quite possibly my player of the season, but life moves on. Good luck to him.......just not against us!
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

I've slept on it and it really doesn't feel any better this morning.

I accept players come and go but this one feels very different..... a bit of a watershed moment. Am I the only one with that 'pit of your stomach' sickly feeling about this?

I hope I'm overreacting and something spectacular will be pulled out of the bag.

On the flip side, thinking about it overnight it is a bit of a strange one for Saints. Dickinson, Clark and Wood are surely nailed on starters. They must have paid good money to get Gibson and how much will he realistically play??
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I hope I'm overreacting and something spectacular will be pulled out of the bag.
You are overreacting, but is aways a little sad to lose a good young English player.
I expect they have plans although how spectacular I do not know, there are plenty of former spectacular players performing averagely in semi-retirement around Europe so who knows.
Cheery chappy
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hearing saints might have offered around 40K more than us.

Just hearsay though.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

jgriffin wrote:I've never said this before, but for 4071 I will make the exception - 'Are you actually a Tigers fan?'.
I am. It's just that unlike some on here my support for the club FAR outweighs my support for Cockerill.

If I wasn't a fan I wouldn't care so much about the mistakes the club is making.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

And with that, this being all turned into Cockerill criticism, this thread has become a parody of itself.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:Going to Saints doesn't seem a good move unless Wood and/or Clark are off.

Seems to be going from a borderline first/second choice to second/third :smt017
He could be going as a straight replacement for Manoa. He played 8 a fair bit for Lon Irish, and has the ability to play all three back-row positions.

If he's going to compete directly with Clark and Wood and Saints are going to sign a different No8 then it would be a strange move.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote:Hearing saints might have offered around 40K more than us.

Just hearsay though.
Wow that is rather a lot!

Can anyone really see him being an international because I couldn't...has a croft like frame but without the searing pace that gives Croft the edge..

He is not a number 8 nowhere near physical enough surely!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

4071 wrote:
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:Going to Saints doesn't seem a good move unless Wood and/or Clark are off.

He could be going as a straight replacement for Manoa. He played 8 a fair bit for Lon Irish, and has the ability to play all three back-row positions.

If he's going to compete directly with Clark and Wood and Saints are going to sign a different No8 then it would be a strange move.
I like Gibson but If he is a Monoa replacement that is a big downgrade imo.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I am so angry that this is happened. Why are we losing extremely good, talented young players and keeping old, end of career players that are constantly getting injured?

I also blaim Simon Cohen who seems to have the attitude of screwing players to the ground over contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened and Jamie has turned round and said stuff you.

I know this is controversial but frankly I don't care. I am a long standing season ticket holder and member of the club and in all the years I've been supporting Tigers, I have never known anything like what has been going on in recent years.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote:
4071 wrote:

I like Gibson but If he is a Monoa replacement that is a big downgrade imo.
Understatement of the year so far :smt003