Gibson going to saints!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Gibson going to saints!!

Post by sapajo »

doublecarpet wrote:One thing is certainly noticeable the last 3-4 years is the huge churn of players in and out. How can we expect to achieve consistency when shipping so nay in and out? Saints and Saracens have stemmed that of late whereas we seem content to focus are recruitment on largely second to third rate players and plenty of them.
This is very strange given the fact that Mr Cohen has publicly stated Tigers always spend upto the cap :smt017 So that must therefore mean Saints, Bath, Saracens, Quins, Wasps et al must be exceeding it :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
richoflyhalf10

Post by richoflyhalf10 »

not good news, only 24 constantly highest performer and would only be getting better. I trust cockers but with crofty injured a lot we need cover so we better sign someone useful, Jerome kaino would be good.
Bad one to lose in my opinion be interesting to hear cockers thoughts been silent on this one so maybe not happy
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote="tigerburnie ]
Erm go ask the sinners fans if they agree, a top prop and their best forward Manoa going over the channel................................[/quote]

Ma'afu a top prop now that is a thought
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Well this thread is certainly bringing them all out.

He's going. A choice he's made. A real shame, but such is life.

None of us have a blinking clue why. Yet many seem to have the answers.

Stop playing him for the rest of the season? Literally a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

And don't get me started on those taking the opportunity to dig at Crane.

I am reminded why I tend not to post as much in here these days. Incredible scenes.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Iain wrote:Well this thread is certainly bringing them all out.

He's going. A choice he's made. A real shame, but such is life.

None of us have a blinking clue why. Yet many seem to have the answers.

Stop playing him for the rest of the season? Literally a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

And don't get me started on those taking the opportunity to dig at Crane.

I am reminded why I tend not to post as much in here these days. Incredible scenes.
Well put Iain - but its all Cockers fault anyway :smt003
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

sapajo wrote:
doublecarpet wrote:One thing is certainly noticeable the last 3-4 years is the huge churn of players in and out. How can we expect to achieve consistency when shipping so nay in and out? Saints and Saracens have stemmed that of late whereas we seem content to focus are recruitment on largely second to third rate players and plenty of them.
This is very strange given the fact that Mr Cohen has publicly stated Tigers always spend upto the cap :smt017 So that must therefore mean Saints, Bath, Saracens, Quins, Wasps et al must be exceeding it :smt017
Or they simply know how to retain players.

It is possible you know. Particularly if - like Saints - you use your academy products for squad depth (Waller, Waller, Haywood, Nutley, Harrison, Hooley, Stephenson, Elliott, etc) rather than recruiting in great numbers to ensure a deep but largely imported first team squad.

It also helps to retain players when you are winning and look like you are moving in the right direction as a club.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I fully understand that the club don't announce signings till very late in the season but other clubs have announced the signing of Tait and Gibson, Exeter have by all accounts signed Parling, Matera is back in Argentina and is leaving at the end of the year and Manu's injury is worse than initially thought. All of this has come out in the last week or two. It's all a bit doom and gloom right now. We could do with a bit of good news. Even if it's just that we are talking to one of the players we've been linked to.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I've never said this before, but for 4071 I will make the exception - 'Are you actually a Tigers fan?'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I've never said this before, but for 4071 I will make the exception - 'Are you actually a Tigers fan?'.
That one cheered me up, sorry 4071! :smt042
Cheery chappy
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Just disappointed that yet another player leaves 'our' club. To saints is even more disheartening but he obviously feels there are more opportunities to improve and win trophies.
Going on some of our performances of late I don't blame him!!
I fear we have not got the academy up to speed as where is all the talent that should be coming through? :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

4071 wrote:
sapajo wrote:
But Sinners aren't maintaining their squad, have a look at your own fans website, Manoa leaving is far greater than Gibbo leaving us just now.
Or they simply know how to retain players.

It is possible you know. Particularly if - like Saints - you use your academy products for squad depth (Waller, Waller, Haywood, Nutley, Harrison, Hooley, Stephenson, Elliott, etc) rather than recruiting in great numbers to ensure a deep but largely imported first team squad.

It also helps to retain players when you are winning and look like you are moving in the right direction as a club.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Moody wasn't offered a multi year deal which proved to be categorically the right call! How you cannot see that with hindsight is unreal or would you rather we just gave all great players now prone to injury 3 year deals? :smt003
You could not be more wrong. Understandably he wanted some security for himself and his family from a club he gave his all for. That it was not forthcoming hurt him greatly which if you care to read his book "Mad dog", he explains in some detail.
Where it was not good business for the club was in the minds of the rest of the players, many of whom thought "why should I dive with my head among the feet when they treat someone who did so, (unflinchingly), could be discarded so dismissively. He was also the England Captain at the time.
Lewis describes it as a "kick in the teeth" from the club that he loved.
From discussions I have had with all kinds of players and ex-players at Tigers, I know this to be true.
Is this part of the malaise that has troubled us since?
Difficult to prove but it would not surprise me.
A life long Tiger
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Where it was not good business for the club was in the minds of the rest of the players, many of whom thought "why should I dive with my head among the feet when they treat someone who did so, (unflinchingly), could be discarded so dismissively. He was also the England Captain at the time.
Difficult to disagree with that.
Cheery chappy
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I disagree. They should want to put their head in where it hurts every time they pull on the Tigers shirt, if that's the sort of player they are.

I agree loyalty works both ways but there has to be some time where either party has to let go. I think Tigers showed a lot of loyalty to Moody, they could have let him go a few seasons earlier with the amount of time he was injured but they stuck with him.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

May I respectfully suggest that if you want to discuss Lewis Moody and what you think did or did not happen, you create a thread to do so.

This thread is discussing Gibson's departure at the end of the season. Please stick to the topic.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother