Team V Ulster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team V Ulster

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Looking at that Ulster team it is not going to be easy winning let alone get a bonus point win. Best hope is that if they score 4 we get 5!
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

tigerburnie wrote:So you're quietly confident then Baggy............... :smt004
Nope, I've simply moved from "we're getting a pasting" to "this could be interesting". I still think Tigers should be confident, we've a half decent front row on the bench, thereafter it's last man standing.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Ulster team looks much stronger than expected - game on !

Glad to see Morris back in the 23 :smt038
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Jumbo wrote:Ulster Rugby

15. Jared Payne; 14. Tommy Bowe, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Luke Marshall, 11. Craig Gilroy; 10. Ian Humphreys, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Callum Black, 2. Rory Best (c), 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 4. Alan O'Connor, 5. Franco Van Der Merwe, 6. Iain Henderson, 7. Mike McComish, 8. Roger Wilson
16. Rob Herring, 17. Andy Warwick, 18. Bronson Ross, 19. Lewis Stevenson, 20. Clive Ross, 21. Neil McComb, 22. Paul Marshall, 23. Michael Allen
Ouch, someone has been telling porkies, that's a much stronger side than I think anyone anticipated.

Tigers need 4+ tries, they're going to have to go all out to do it. No point grinding out a win here, win and score less than 4 tries and it's all over anyway. Throw caution to the wind!
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Roly wrote:
Jumbo wrote:Ulster Rugby

15. Jared Payne; 14. Tommy Bowe, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Luke Marshall, 11. Craig Gilroy; 10. Ian Humphreys, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Callum Black, 2. Rory Best (c), 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 4. Alan O'Connor, 5. Franco Van Der Merwe, 6. Iain Henderson, 7. Mike McComish, 8. Roger Wilson
16. Rob Herring, 17. Andy Warwick, 18. Bronson Ross, 19. Lewis Stevenson, 20. Clive Ross, 21. Neil McComb, 22. Paul Marshall, 23. Michael Allen
Ouch, someone has been telling porkies, that's a much stronger side than I think anyone anticipated.

Tigers need 4+ tries, they're going to have to go all out to do it. No point grinding out a win here, win and score less than 4 tries and it's all over anyway. Throw caution to the wind!
Lets see if Burns has really got it, ideal chance for the "quarter back" mentality to shine and manage the game.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I hope people don't expect Tigers to throw the ball about from the off, a try from a 5m rolling maul counts the same as one from a 60m backs move.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

floridaboy wrote:Okay, so after the weekend's win what do we think the team is going to be against Ulster ? I don't know about Thorn, didn't look good when he went off did it ?

Do we know about Allen ? Do we keep with Bai and Goneva ( I would like to see Tait at Centre)

Anyway, we need 5 points, who do we go with....... Discuss!

Funny you should say that, I would like to see Tait in the centres, but a totally off the wall thought, I would also like to see how Morris would fair in the centres, he is a strong elusive runner with great defence and he can kick also
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Great to see Morris back. As for Gibson I highly doubt we will see him again.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spicer wrote:Great to see Morris back. As for Gibson I highly doubt we will see him again.
Yeh in the LV cup would like to see Beckett, Owen and Pearce being used next week.

Then depending on who is selected in the U20 6N's game maybe use Gibson.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Can't see a win personally, we've imploded in too many away games. If we do get one it won't be by enough. Bye Bye Europe I'm afraid.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Before anyone says I'm a doom monger. I didn't expect a win when we beat Munster some eight years ago....but we got one. Not by four tries though. It's this type of game I'm anticipating and we could just as easily come out on the wrong side as the right side given our past away form.

The team that night

(Murphy; Rabeni, Hipkiss (Lloyd, 70), Smith, Tuilagi (Vesty, 79); Humphreys, Ellis; Castrogiovanni (Ayerza, 67), Chuter, White, Cullen, L Deacon, Moody, Jennings, Corry (capt).)

I feel was better balanced?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:Wonder if we've seen the last of Gibson in a Tigers shirt?
Depends on injuries I think. If we have a fully fit back row Cockers will not play him. But if we get a couple of injuries, then providing Gibson is showing the right attitude in training, he will play again.

It's a good team and we have a chance of winning, a 5 pointer would be a real bonus but we have to go for it and it will be interesting to see our tactics tomorrow night. I think picking Burns tells the storey - I hope he goes well, he's a more natural/talented footballer than Williams IMO only!(Not that I don't rate Williams!)
Soggypitch
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Wow - that is a surprisingly strong Ulster team. Looking forward to the trip and game.

I suggest we will definitely see Gibbo again: v Saints in the LV Cup at home next week would be perfect pantomime stuff. Please RC , please play him v Saints!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRrrrrssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I'll tell you what is interesting. If you read the Ulster forum they seem even unhappier than our lot. For all sorts of reasons.

First 20 minutes are going to be fascinating.

Most bookies have the handicap set at -2 Tigers although you can get -1 @ 10/11 with 3 of them. In other words the bookies see it almost as a match.