2014 - 15 Attendances

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

2014 - 15 Attendances

Post by Billb »

I commented on the Saturday fixtures post regarding the attendances this year, based on how it felt at the ground, and the empty seats in the CAT stand and the clubhouse seating.
I have just looked at the average attendance figures for League & European cup games compared to last season.
In the league last year we averaged 22,852 over the season. so far this season the average is 22,236.
In the cup, the figures are 21,747 and 20,323 respectively. (even the Toulon game did not attract a full house!)
This is a reduction of 600 spectators a game - I would estimate a loss of up to £12,000 a game.
The 6 Friday/Sunday games, combined with the majority of games being live on TV must be having a major impact on cash flow for the Tigers. Can the club afford to leak over £150,000 a season.
BillB
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: 2014 - 15 Attendances

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Billb wrote:I commented on the Saturday fixtures post regarding the attendances this year, based on how it felt at the ground, and the empty seats in the CAT stand and the clubhouse seating.
I have just looked at the average attendance figures for League & European cup games compared to last season.
In the league last year we averaged 22,852 over the season. so far this season the average is 22,236.
In the cup, the figures are 21,747 and 20,323 respectively. (even the Toulon game did not attract a full house!)
This is a reduction of 600 spectators a game - I would estimate a loss of up to £12,000 a game.
The 6 Friday/Sunday games, combined with the majority of games being live on TV must be having a major impact on cash flow for the Tigers. Can the club afford to leak over £150,000 a season.
they work out the estimated drop in attendance in the fee paid for the tv companies showing the game live, so that should be a minimal drop in terms of cash at best, I know they do this in football so I assume they do it in Rugby too
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TV money is divided equally amongst the clubs so the clubs that are on the box most are the biggest losers.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote:TV money is divided equally amongst the clubs so the clubs that are on the box most are the biggest losers.
they said that in the Football League system too but I know Leicester City still received a fee for the individual games they hosted
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

From a personal point of view, I love to go to rugby on a Saturday at 1500. I don't mind the occasional mid-week evening game. But it is now getting stupid!
More importantly I agree with the post. We are great danger of the game being completly dictated by the desires of the TV schedulers. Just look at Ospreys at home to Saints this evening, with completely empty stands. If this were staged at 15:00 then I am certain the gate would have been considerably higher.
I spoke to 2 Saints fans last week who would have gone to a 15:00 start, even on a Sunday.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Just look at Ospreys at home to Saints this evening, with completely empty stands. If this were staged at 15:00 then I am certain the gate would have been considerably higher.
I wouldn't be too sure. The artificially-created Welsh regions are not as well supported as they would like to be. A lot of diehard Welsh rugby followers would rather watch their local town XV rather than travel to the Blues, Scarlets, Ospreys or Dragons. Whenever a live match is being televised from Wales in the Pro 12, there are always vast swathes of empty seats.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TBH, I'd expect that the Saturday slots on the tv are reserved for the best games. That would mean that the number of Friday games we're currently suffering could be a result of our decline in performance.

I imagine that when we improve, and we will, we'll see fewer Friday games.

Of course, there may be other factors, e.g. crisp bowl parties, or international weekends that mean the Saturday slot isn't desirable for the tv companies.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

I'd rather have Friday evening than Sunday afternoon.

Psychological I think. I like to have some weekend to look forward to after the Rugby. Sunday matches feel wrong!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Bowden Tiger wrote:From a personal point of view, I love to go to rugby on a Saturday at 1500. I don't mind the occasional mid-week evening game. But it is now getting stupid!
More importantly I agree with the post. We are great danger of the game being completly dictated by the desires of the TV schedulers. Just look at Ospreys at home to Saints this evening, with completely empty stands. If this were staged at 15:00 then I am certain the gate would have been considerably higher.
I spoke to 2 Saints fans last week who would have gone to a 15:00 start, even on a Sunday.
Ospreys usual home crowd is just over 6000. Attendance for Northampton was 7300.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

It is cleasr looking at the figures that Sat & Sun afternoon kick-offs are the best crowds, and Fri evenings and late kick-offs (1745 onward) are least popular. Just so happens this season we've had a lot more of the latter. Always seems that the supporters prefer watching in daylight.

Of course the percentage variation is bigger because we can really only look at the numbers over 14,500 ish ST Holders who are counted anyway.

Personally I hate Friday evenings - means I've no excuse to miss allegedly "important" things on Saturday, getting to the ground takes at least twice as long, and just getting away in time to make the games is always difficult. Also leaves the rest of weekend with no focus.
Last edited by DickyP on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wow, Saints LV Cup match heading towards a sell out.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/21681.php
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

ourla wrote:Wow, Saints LV Cup match heading towards a sell out.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/21681.php
Tickets sold no doubt. Last week tannoy said 18000, yea yea about 13000 IMHO.

Don't believe all the marketing jargon from Tigers!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Do they count ST ticket holders as being in attendance? I missed half the games last season because of fixture changes and silly times of the week, Did however I have 100% attendance?
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

So far this season we are down 18,323 (excluding friendly games) I estimate that is a reduction of over £500k plus losses of corporates and profits from sundry sales.

Comparing like for like it would appear the moving of games to late Saturday, Fridays or Sundays.

The TV revenue is split equally between all premiership clubs.

I think it is moving of games from Saturday afternoons is the reason.
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

So far this season we are down 18,323 (excluding friendly games) I estimate that is a reduction of over £500k plus losses of corporates and profits from sundry sales.

Comparing like for like it would appear the moving of games to late Saturday, Fridays or Sundays.

The TV revenue is split equally between all premiership clubs.

I think it is moving of games from Saturday afternoons is the reason.