Big Screen Captions last night

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Big Screen Captions last night

Post by Tyzot »

I really hope that last nights captions on every decision was just a failed experiment. It seems as though we have finally got a large top quality screen and then blank out half of it during replays with a banner saying "Penalty" and a video of a studio ref.. Talk about the bleeping obvious. On a couple of occasions the caption covered the important part of the replayed image.

I hope that this is not the thin edge of the wedge with music played after every score followed by "try scored by XXXX sponsored by YYYYY" as at the AJ Bell stadium.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Big Screen Captions last night

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tyzot wrote:I hope that this is not the thin edge of the wedge with music played after every score followed by "try scored by XXXX sponsored by YYYYY" as at the AJ Bell stadium.
Not sure the tartan rugs would like that...
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

Sometimes if something happens at the other end of the pitch it's useful to know why the whistle was blown but I did find the little figure very annoying
A citizen of hope and glory
PAW

Post by PAW »

My teenage daughter came to the game and appreciated the captions. She is trying to learn the laws and refs signals - rather than Dads one eyed bellowing
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

It's a nice experiment but that's about it. I do appreciate trying new things like this, and I can understand why they're implementing it.

Maybe keep the caption as to why the ref has blown his whistle for anyone new to the game/missed what happened but definitely have to get rid of the studio ref.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I agree - definitely keep the caption, it was useful to know what the whistle had been blown for. To often I sit there and wonder what the ref has blown for.

Not too fussed about the studio ref. He did kinds get in the way, but I suppose it does help the unaware to know what signals go with what penalty.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

the captions helped because that refs signals were so odd I thought he might have been doing them in French!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mightymouse wrote:the captions helped because that refs signals were so odd I thought he might have been doing them in French!
Left hand drive, I guess :smt023
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I really appreciated the captions more than once, having not be able to see clearly what had happened. Bin the little ref though.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Captions useful, size ridiculous.

They should be a horizontal line at the top of the screen so as not to impact replays. We can all see the score based on its size so an equivalent at the top would work.

If they kept the aspect ratio they would even get two vertical spaces on the sides in which they could have the replays sponsored...
Castros Beard

Post by Castros Beard »

Agree with most posters think the captions are a good idea but lose the studio ref. Also managed to silence the know it alls that sit around us and constantly explain the wrong reasoning for the refereeing decisions.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Is it a Sky thing?? As they were the broadcaster.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!