Croft

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: croft

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I also thought Croft was excellent last night albeit letting the ball through his hands once at the line out.

Nevertheless, form is temporary but class is permanent and there is no way Tigers should remotely consider letting him go. He'll be back to his best before the season is out and I'm confident he will be in the WC team let alone squad.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Yeah, Croft played well last night, ran out of steam towards the end but thats to be expected. I'd keep him, the 2 years lost may extend his playing period further.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Hull Fan wrote:Yeah, Croft played well last night, ran out of steam towards the end but thats to be expected. I'd keep him, the 2 years lost may extend his playing period further.
Maybe wishing for a little much! Rehab from serious operations is hardly a year off in the sun im afraid! More of a grind than the regular season!
Dominichi
Tiger Cub

Post by Dominichi »

I for one would hate to see Croft go. I would agree with other posts that people may have forgotten how good he is - I for one don't think I'll ever forget the sight of Croft sprinting down the touchline to score that try in the AP Semi-Final vs Quins.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Dominichi wrote: I for one don't think I'll ever forget the sight of Croft sprinting down the touchline to score that try in the AP Semi-Final vs Quins.
That was a truly brilliant and memorable score :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'd be happy with both Tom and Gibbo rotating each week, the question is, would they?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

what about Gibson at 8?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:what about Gibson at 8?
Is the pope protestant?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigerburnie wrote:I'd be happy with both Tom and Gibbo rotating each week, the question is, would they?
Gibson plays 7 and 8 as well, and there's nothing wrong with sensible rotation of players. Saracens seem to be able to keep Vunipola, Fraser, Burger, Joubert, Brown and Wray happy with regular starts and appearances from the bench (most have made 10-15 appearances this season, with Fraser's injury keeping him down to just 6 starts and 2 sub appearances). I don't see why we can't keep five players in good regular rotation, allowing plenty of rest during the season (Salvi doesn't really need to play 80 minutes every week, does he?).
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I think he'll end up staying to be honest. He just needs game time to show the form to convince the board he's worth a new contract. He's beginning to get in that groove.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem for Croft is that the game has changed - the competition for the ball at the breakdown is much more fierce. Instead of just being the 7s role it requires the 6 and 8 to do that too.

To enable Croft to lurk on the wing you have to have the ball stealing/securing -
Obviously Salvi does that job brilliantly (as a 7 should), Crane does it but isn't always the fastest to the breakdown. When Cole and Youngs are playing there are two front rows who do a good impression of a 7.

When they are playing Croft can do what he's best at. However if they are not there we can get exposed at the breakdown. Perhaps this is the are he has to work on because at the moment Gibson does it better for Tigers. I've said before that the same applies to Tom Wood - another brilliant player who can only be used by England if the right support is around him. If it were Armitage at 7 for England rather than Robshaw it might be different - particularly with Cole and Lawes in the side.

Croft hasn't become a poor player - it's the game that's changed.
covrich

Post by covrich »

mol2 wrote:The problem for Croft is that the game has changed - the competition for the ball at the breakdown is much more fierce. Instead of just being the 7s role it requires the 6 and 8 to do that too.

To enable Croft to lurk on the wing you have to have the ball stealing/securing -
Obviously Salvi does that job brilliantly (as a 7 should), Crane does it but isn't always the fastest to the breakdown. When Cole and Youngs are playing there are two front rows who do a good impression of a 7.

When they are playing Croft can do what he's best at. However if they are not there we can get exposed at the breakdown. Perhaps this is the are he has to work on because at the moment Gibson does it better for Tigers. I've said before that the same applies to Tom Wood - another brilliant player who can only be used by England if the right support is around him. If it were Armitage at 7 for England rather than Robshaw it might be different - particularly with Cole and Lawes in the side.

Croft hasn't become a poor player - it's the game that's changed.
I think you raise a good point, I think the same about the balance of the England side at times.

Having players like Croft ect are great but as long as you have the balance needed to accommodate them.

That said I have seen Croft get stuck in a few rucks so not massively concerned but he cannot just hang around between 13 and 14 like we have seen him do in the past.