Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: S Armitage

Post by JackFlashJonny »

TigerLad wrote:
Frankers wrote:If it gives England a better chance of winning then why not? Thankfully though we don't need his Gobby brother
For example, next time Manu comes to the end of his contract. He's more important to England than Armitage and a better player so why shouldn't he be able to earn exponentially more playing for a Toulon or Racing Metro and still play for England like Armitage will do? It's an awful decision if true and undermines everything that's been built up in terms of not selecting players from abroad to strengthen the English clubs.
My sentiments and first worry entirely TigerLad!!!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
TigerLad wrote:
Frankers wrote:If it gives England a better chance of winning then why not?
For example, next time Manu comes to the end of his contract. He's more important to England than Armitage and a better player so why shouldn't he be able to earn exponentially more playing for a Toulon or Racing Metro and still play for England like Armitage will do? It's an awful decision if true and undermines everything that's been built up in terms of not selecting players from abroad to strengthen the English clubs.
Quite right. It would be setting a dangerous precedent. And once you've done it, expect others to consider challenging the ruling too - as Tigerlad's example clearly shows....

(I don't think anyone would disagree that Wilko was an (unique) allowable exception :smt023 )
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
TigerLad wrote:
Frankers wrote:If it gives England a better chance of winning then why not? Thankfully though we don't need his Gobby brother
I do want top players in the AP and particularly top English players in the AP but when they can earn twice as much abroad as the can at home, arbitrarily saying they will not be selected for international duty smacks of blackmail. If the argument was over international release, saying players plying their trade overseas would only be selected if their contracts allowed for international release equivalent to or better than the Premiership agreement would be fairer.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

I personally love both the salary cap rule and the fact that if you play overseas you do not play for your country. Both of these rules almost guarantee that there is top quality players that you can see week in week out, in almost every team in the prem. If either of these rules are broken, and it does look like both are on the verge of breaking, then it will be a true decline of the game. Less focus should be on making the game more entertaining for spectors, and more on keeping the game as good as it is.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: SA

Post by amazing tiger »

RagingBull wrote:What would be the exceptional circumstance?
european player of the year is an execeptional circumsatance to me. robshaw runs his heart out but isnt anywhere near armitages level.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I have no respect for Lancaster after his u turn on Hartley so it seems to me now nothing is off limits when it comes to England team selection.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Seems like the doors open for France based players to take part in the World Cup pre-season training squad. I remember Toby saying that he had been told by Lancaster that there were 'certain squads' he might be looked at in when he signed for Toulouse.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

amazing tiger wrote:
RagingBull wrote:What would be the exceptional circumstance?
european player of the year is an execeptional circumsatance to me. robshaw runs his heart out but isnt anywhere near armitages level.
They are such different styles of player. Robshaw actually does the work required at test level - Armitage gets played out the game by better sides (even us on current form kept him quiet for both legs of the Toulon double header).

Also European Player of the year? I have little interest in using an arbitrary award based on nothing but the opinions of people who don't select teams.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

[/quote]

They are such different styles of player. Robshaw actually does the work required at test level - Armitage gets played out the game by better sides (even us on current form kept him quiet for both legs of the Toulon double header.[/quote]

I'm afraid I've got to disagree here. We kept him quite at Welford Road, at the Mayol he and Basteraud absolutely bossed every breakdown. Armitage was sensational and we just couldn't retain the ball.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Sajerj wrote:Story in the Mail reporting that Armitage will be called up in May for the 40 man world cup squad under the exceptional circumstance rule.

Without wanting to believe everything in the papers, it does appear to be written as a matter of fact and one would assume its been leaked by the camp to soften any controversy.
Yeah.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

He will definitely be in that camp and we will see if he makes it from there..Really don't see him as an international 8 but we shall wait and see