Only plastic counts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Only plastic counts!

Post by jack »

Comment before the Saracens v London Irish game today by one of the commentary team who was not a (noted) player went along the lines of maybe, despite the rain, it might be a decent game today because of the plastic pitch.
Clearly people have wasted their time on grass for many years.

On the subject of plastic, these irregular bounces are annoying me!
Tigers - true Champions!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Only plastic counts!

Post by northerntiger »

It is a valid point though, from a spectators point of view a firm, non muddy surface will generally produce a better game.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Don't always agree, northerntiger. Some of the most entertaining games are mid winter, with both teams so covered in mud you can hardly tell the difference. OK, maybe not the best rugby, but highly entertaining IMO
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CJ wrote:Don't always agree, northerntiger. Some of the most entertaining games are mid winter, with both teams so covered in mud you can hardly tell the difference. OK, maybe not the best rugby, but highly entertaining IMO
Exactly. Some might even call it traditional!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Exactly HC! Rugby is a game designed to be played on grass and part of the skill of the team is to adapt to the weather and pitch conditions.....

Yes you don't always see free flowing rugby in wet weather on a heavy pitch, but surely that is the test of the team, to be able to play well and find a way to win in ALL conditions!!

I would not allow plastic pitches if it were up to me, although they are good for training (I'm told!!). :smt003
Soggypitch
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Well, most of you get my point!
Tigers - true Champions!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

it depends how you view the development of Rugby Union globally. Watching two teams caked in mud slugging it out of course somewhat appeals to us traditionalists, but for those potentially new to the game all around the world it holds no interest.

Adapting to the weather is one thing, as weather is an uncontrollable if the game is played out doors.

The quality of a pitch in modern day rugby union is something that is increasingly controllable, either through hybrid or G4, and really it is not acceptable for top teams to be playing on pitches that resemble mud baths and/or risk injury to players.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I think there will be more of these 3g/4g pitches around soon. There will undoubtedly more developments to make the surface more realistic. Of course it may end up taking out the adaptability of playing styles and encourage a single style throughout the season.

If you think about it when the season starts the grounds are hard and bouncy and then become spongy in nature and then again revert to hard. This meant sides have to adapt their style of play to suit the conditions. It is a little like tennis players adapting their game to different surfaces. A truly great side can be measured by their adaptability. With these pitches developing the way they are this could be lost world side and the came could become static in its approach.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

What were the players getting on their faces yesterday, looked like rubber pellets stuck to them?

Guess we will never again get to see the Fran Cotton face covered in mud, those were the days, proper rugby :smt001
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Pitch doesn't look great at the moment - that strip in front of the terrace is appalling.

I wouldn't want a plastic pitch at WR but the Desi hybrid like the one just put in at Murrayfield would be perfect.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

biffer wrote:Pitch doesn't look great at the moment - that strip in front of the terrace is appalling.

I wouldn't want a plastic pitch at WR but the Desi hybrid like the one just put in at Murrayfield would be perfect.
Yep, and I doubt the strip in front of the terrace will be allowed to happen again. Apart from that the WR pitch look pretty decent. Some of the more modern pitches have failed terribly too.

Yes you have to appeal to new fans, but why should you change the game to do so? A 3-3 slog can be just as exciting a 26-25 match.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
biffer wrote:Pitch doesn't look great at the moment - that strip in front of the terrace is appalling.

Yep, and I doubt the strip in front of the terrace will be allowed to happen again. Apart from that the WR pitch look pretty decent. Some of the more modern pitches have failed terribly too.

Yes you have to appeal to new fans, but why should you change the game to do so? A 3-3 slog can be just as exciting a 26-25 match - although I sometimes think the logic is that some stadiums are .
That's why we want a hybrid, not a plastic. Looks like grass, plays like grass, just doesn't cut up.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

biffer wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:

Yes you have to appeal to new fans, but why should you change the game to do so? A 3-3 slog can be just as exciting a 26-25 match - although I sometimes think the logic is that some stadiums are .
That's why we want a hybrid, not a plastic. Looks like grass, plays like grass, just doesn't cut up.
Or we could play to our strengths and stick with grass!
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

I couldn't be more proud that we are one of the clubs that still have a grass pitch! Such hard work for the groundsman and they do a top job! I hope it forever stays grass at Welford Road!
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Saw a perfectly fine match yesterday - on grass!

OK the muddy strip is a slight problem. It'll be fixed! Spring drier weather may even solve it.
Tigers - true Champions!