A bigger ground than WR!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: A bigger ground than WR!!

Post by Noggs »

I believe the club are providing free transport for season ticket holder for the rest of the season but how many will renew when every home game is effectively an away game?

On the other side of the coin is the question of how many Coventry supporters will switch to Wasps in order to see rugby at Premiership level. Though few would admit it I suspect a lot will.

I'm sure they will have done their market research before making this move and the RICOH business as a whole is, I believe, profit making and hence capable of subsidising the rugby business, at least in the first few years.

I don't like the insects being so close because they will no doubt compete for local young talent but it has happened and unlikely to be reversed in the foreseeable future so I guess we had better get used to it. I can see them getting regular crowds of 15k+ and that should be enough to sustain them.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Wasps could potentially sell out against Tigers, Saints and Warriors.
Gloucester is not that far away via the motorway network and I expect Sarries, Bath and Quins will be big attractions.
That is seven out of eleven potential home matches that could do very well.
Over 28000 against London Irish for the first match would suggest that a few sell outs are possible.
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
covrich

Post by covrich »

Don't worry I am not taking my little one to the Wasps game it just happens we have tickets..

I may have to buy him a kit or let him start watching tigers games.

But given the location of the Ricoh it is very accessible so hopefully lots of away supporters will come, I will hope to see the cavalry 10th May
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There may be a Midlands double header next seaso, Tigers, Saints, Wasps and Gloucester.

Northern Derby - Newcastle v Sale

South East Derby - Bath v Exeter

London Double Header: Quins, Sarries, Irish and Welsh (or their replacement if relegated)
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Personally I think it's fantastic. I was really looking forward to going over in May then I saw it was yet another Sunday game.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Tigerbeat wrote:There may be a Midlands double header next seaso, Tigers, Saints, Wasps and Gloucester.
Over my dead body if any suggestion is made of us being a home team.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Not sure the Cov Wasps headcount last weekend was people in the stadium. There were too many empty seats.
However I believe they will rapidly build a significant fan base. I know a number of people who have bought the half season tickets. They are all rugby followers who understand the game and its values but did not go to Cov or Mos as they used to in days gone by.
Having lived most of my life in the area, I know there are a lot of local rugby clubs and rugby played in schools. With the fall from grace of Cov and Mos it has been only people like the Boss and I that have travelled to Leicester. Most local rugby followers have watched rugby on TV with a few visits to Twickers and one of the local teams.
Birmingham, Coventry and Warwickshire are a great place to build a rugby brand and I expect Cov Wasps to do very well. One of the big differences at last weekends game compared to big crowds at Sarries etc is that the noise of the crowd actually was related to what was happening on the pitch, which is obviously a good sign.
Sad thing for me is that our local rugby club over the road in Kenilworth used to have summer coaching from Tigers but I expect that may change to Wasps before too long.
The Boss and I are off course Tigers for life but I fear the local youngsters in this area will go the way of the insects.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Tigerbeat wrote:
South East Derby - Bath v Exeter
My knowledge of plate tectonics is limited but I went to uni in Exeter and at the time it was always considered to be in the South West.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

You are quite correct, South West.......must have been the Christmas drink!!

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk