Hartley gone again!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Hartley gone again!

Post by kpj tiger »

In the context of this season a LBP away at saints is not a complete disaster, Our attack is still looking pretty toothless unfortunately but hopefully we can get Burns firing and things might change
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

Do you know what... that was a cracking game. Yes, gutted about losing and we should have done better considering they were down to 14 men. The issue we had is that in the end, they lost a player in the backs where we haven't been good at all.

Going to sound like a happy clapper here, but the backs are getting a little more fluid. Burns had a nice break (and landed a kick when Williams was struggling), as did Benjamin. Hopefully see more of Burns, not that Williams has done anything wrong.

If our team had been together (and our midfield is still not the perfect one) since the start of the season - we would have been better.

All in all, gutted, but Stains played their hearts out. I think we will be there or thereabouts over the next few weeks. Certainly feeling more positive about Bath coming to us.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Those questioning how we could be overlapped although we had an extra player, it is because Hartley would be in and around the fringes not out in open play. We played well today but Saints were just a bit better and at the moment a better team. Let's not criticise our players, they gave everything and tried their best.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Im afraid we just are not good enough, too many players lacking basic skills so we dare not keep it in hand, kick it back to the opposition, they did not need our help to beat us.

One glimpse from Burns as to what a fly half can do, if only he could maintain that.

How did they make so many overlaps with one man down?

Phew, Manu cannot save us, one man will not do it, we need people with skills, especially catching and holding on to the ball.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Wrong game plan by Tigers. When Saints went down to 14 why did we not keep it tight and play through the forwards rather than allow Saints to play to their strengths in the backline? Playing tight would have sucked them in and then we could have used the outside or just gone through the middle via the pack. That would have tired the Saints and allowed the extra man to tell. Instead we didn't seem to have a clue. 3 points thrown away!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

That was a shocking first half from Tigers, they looked as though they thought it was won and went to sleep. Good second half, but we should have screwed them to the floor. To lose to 14 men in the manner we did was worse than the early season results. No leadership and no one leading the way, it looked like a few were going through the motions, that was embarrassing. Defence was poor, no real line speed and the lineout kept going wrong as well.
The actual loss away is neither here nor there, but to lose to in this derby game means we play catch up mentally for the rest of the season, this will be a test of character for the club.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

We can't even win against 14! Dull un Hartley sent off. Northampton's backs electric, pacey, alive! Leicester ponderous, slow of brain and body, like men running with their braces tied to their own posts! SWEAR WORD!

All that said I'd have taken an LBP at the beginning of the day.

Two examples of pace from the much maligned Benjamin and Burns gave us tries ............Why? Oh why do we always, always resort to crash and carry? Answer? Cockers tactics!

I said earlier it was a defensive pick! You can't foresee Hartley being a prat, can you? But you need a little more "get up and go" sometimes and know when to use it! Fight pace, more pace and good hands with a brick wall?????

:censored: hell I'm frustrated! It's going to be a long conversation In the aisle at Waitrose next week. Shoppers! Prepare for some bad language!
Last edited by Big Dai on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

I think we need to look at the backline closely. The pack is working well. But definitely need a backup 13 (or just a 13) whilst Manu is injured.
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

Think you're right, Colin - distinct lack of basic skills, particularly in defence. It seems, as I've thought for many, many months, that there is a lack of leadership and desire in us - we should have been pumped up even more after Hartley went but they upped their game, showed much more desire and tactical awareness. It can't just be the players, there must be something behind the scenes that makes us toothless.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Makes you wonder Chris, but our players have not got the skill sets, so you cannot really do much with them, when they come under pressure their lack of it really shows.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Yes the backs could be better, but although I hate to see a loss against Saints, and it pains me to say this, they are a v good team and have given up very few tries this season. I thought Tigers put in a very spirited performance and with a bit more match fitness with certain folk, the result could have been different. Had Manu been on the pitch, I would fancy Tigers.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Give over, we were outplayed by 14 men.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Embarrassing. If we haven't got fit centres how about recruiting some instead of collecting locks. Maybe because we would have no idea how to coach them.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Some of the comments here are pretty embarrassing TBH.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

My opinion for what it's worth;

Hartley stupid again, some refs would have given yellow, some red, and Smith did make a meal of it I'm very sorry to say.

Croft's yellow card a joke, if everybody got yellows for that sort of tackle there would be few left on the pitch at the end!

Our scrum great.

Our lineout woeful, presumably that's why OTY was subbed so early?

Forwards generally good and really committed.

Tactics - kicking the ball away continually to 14 men absolute madness. Our backs are lacking in confidence and more particularly the coaches lack confidence in them, hence the kicking tactics presumably.

Deserved winners - Northampton. They backed their backs and outclassed us in that area.

How do I feel now - completely pi***d off!!!!!!!!!
Soggypitch