Post by TigerCam »

:smt023 22-13
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Scarlets down Ulster

Post by Richard »

It still looks like no other clubs apart from Toulon from our group will progress any further in this competition
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Richard wrote:It still looks like no other clubs apart from Toulon from our group will progress any further in this competition
Sky kept saying that they estimate that 19 points will be needed to get a best runners up spot giving the remaining fixtures, but I suppose a few unexpected low scoring draws could make that wrong.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Still two games to go and lots of permutations.
Are we really worse than Glasgow/Racing Metro?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

tigercaspian wrote:Still two games to go and lots of permutations.
Are we really worse than Glasgow/Racing Metro?
We were at Y Parc.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerTom15

Post by TigerTom15 »

Bath or Glasgow can only qualify as runners up if they win a tough away game.

And there's still the very much plausible scenario of Sarries beating Munster at Allianz and then getting humped in France to finish second in pool 1 with 17.

So 17 points, 5 against Scarlets and 4 in Ulster, along with a set of not ridiculously unlikely results in other pools, will see us through on points difference, (assuming we pick up a hatfull of points vs scarlets).

Then we would be away in France or down the road at the Gardens.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I would think Pool 2 and Pool 5 will definitely produce a runner up qualifier each and the final spot will be between are pool and Pool 1. Saracens are second in Pool 1 at the moment and host Munster before travelling to Clermont. 5 points from those 2 games is a fair estimation for them I think. Meaning if we produce 2 bonus point victories we well still have a good shot at going through.

Although doing so will be a huge challenge and would obviously leave us with a very very difficult quarter final.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I'm a patriotic Tigers fan (still in Toulon as it happens).

But to suggest we could be in the QFs is pure fantasy in my opinion. 18 points might sneak us through just - agreed. But what are the realistic chances of us getting two back to back bonus point wins? Nil frankly. Honestly I think you have to be an optimist to think we will finish 2nd in the group, let alone 'top 8' and into the knockout stages.

I wish I could be more positive but we don't deserve a place in the last 8 in my opinion.
TigerTom15

Post by TigerTom15 »

17 could easily be enough to get us through. Bath won't beat Toulouse away, Glasgow won't beat Bath away. And if Sarries miss out on a lbp in France we would be through on 17 and an improved points difference.

KEEP THE FAITH
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

And did you see the crowd (or lack of it) at Parc Y Scarlets. Would any self respecting player want to play in front of that excuse for support!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Straws clutching at. Best chance for any finals this year is the LV= cup.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Afraid I'm with Mr Partridge, yes we still in Toulon also but not knowingly with him, cant see it happening, eh its about 17 degrees down here what a place to play your rugby, red wine is great, have I been dancing wirh your wife? Really cannot see us qualifying even with 18 points but who knows, players were rather downhearted when we waved them onto bus last night, so come on Tigers, lets beat Saints next week and give us something to celebrate for Christmas. :smt030 :smt029
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

IMO no point in worrying about if's and but's. We could still qualify therefore we have to go all out against Scarlets first of all. Making predictions or assumptions about other teams results is a waste of time and brain power. And anyroad we have big Prem matches to think about between now and then.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

That is a good result as I'm sure Tigers will get a 5 pointer against Scarlets on the 17th of January and on that weekend Ulster have to travel to Toulon. This means that Ulster will have only pride to play for at Ravenhill against the Tigers.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Glasgow whipped Bath at Scotstoun and they have every possibility of beating them away - and yes we probably are worse that them in our current state.