Brad Thorn

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Brad Thorn

Post by chappie »

Just been reading what Brad has to say about the Tigers family.
I just want to say what a master stroke it was by the club to get him to join us. Since he has had a good run in the team I don't think on current form that anyone of our locks could displace him from the team.
At nearly 40 years old to still be playing with great intensity and a smile on his face is a real credit to him.
If I could have one wish it would be to have Brad here for next season as he could bring so much to our squad.
Brad you are a true legend and a Gentleman. :smt023
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Brad Thorn

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Says a lot about the man that he was able to drag his 39 year old body to be the first to receive the pop up pass from Tom Youngs. He keeps getting up to put in tackle after tackle and must be an inspiration to the players at Tigers. You cannot buy experience and despite the fact that he has achieved just about everything you can in rugby he is quite clearly no prima donna. There are many players who could learn from him how to conduct themselves on and off the pitch.

Well done that man :smt023
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

Absolutely, and it proves that in rugby - maybe even more than in other professional sports - desire and total commitment to the cause are what makes the difference between a good player and a great one. I hope that he has an ongoing connection even when he finally hangs up his boots.

I've been a bit critical of some of our purchases of mid-career (sometimes crocked) players, but Thorn really was an inspired choice. It's just great to have him at the club and he and Salvi, in particular, have been the glue holding us together over a tricky few months.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

simoscribbler wrote:Absolutely, and it proves that in rugby - maybe even more than in other professional sports - desire and total commitment to the cause are what makes the difference between a good player and a great one. I hope that he has an ongoing connection even when he finally hangs up his boots.

I've been a bit critical of some of our purchases of mid-career (sometimes crocked) players, but Thorn really was an inspired choice. It's just great to have him at the club and he and Salvi, in particular, have been the glue holding us together over a tricky few months.
There is no doubt in my mind that we should make every effort to keep Mr Thorn here next season, in whatever capacity we can, firstly as a player, but whatever happens he must be kept to cover WR with his presence. A total gentleman and supreme player!
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Agreed to all of the above, but I also loved seeing him and Bakkies Botha, both renowned hard men and fearsome opponents, so pleased to see each other at the end. I could see the grins from miles away. One of the things I love about rugby.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

He brings a presence to the field not seen at Welford Road since MJ retired. Agree we must do all possible to retain him for another season. According to Cockers we don't pay him much so can't see the cap being an issue.....
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Completely echo what has being said about Brad Thorn. Would love to see him involved in some form of coaching capacity with the club as his leadership and professional ethos are second to none. I wonder if Brad came over to play for us for the love of the game if he did what a man! I would go as far to say potentially the signing of the season by any aviva prem team? Anyone else agree?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

+1 :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

parkerd68 wrote:Agreed to all of the above, but I also loved seeing him and Bakkies Botha, both renowned hard men and fearsome opponents, so pleased to see each other at the end. I could see the grins from miles away. One of the things I love about rugby.
Yes, I was quite enthused by that. A total contrast to some of the Toulon players :smt004
Also during the match when Castro and TY were having a go (eventually exchanging a few more pleasant words)Ali Williams and BY had a right laugh about it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

brooksey845 wrote:Completely echo what has being said about Brad Thorn. Would love to see him involved in some form of coaching capacity with the club as his leadership and professional ethos are second to none. I wonder if Brad came over to play for us for the love of the game if he did what a man! I would go as far to say potentially the signing of the season by any aviva prem team? Anyone else agree?
Agreed, to have someone like Brad bringing on the next generation and dare I say helping out with the first team would be priceless.
I would love to see him as captain again when Ben is away with England, like was said in an earlier post he brings real steel to the pitch which we have not seen since Johnno stopped playing!

May you keep fit Brad and continue to inspire us that watch you! :smt023
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

+2 :smt023
A reminder of the "good ol' days"
Pip
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

fentiger wrote:He brings a presence to the field not seen at Welford Road since MJ retired. Agree we must do all possible to retain him for another season. According to Cockers we don't pay him much so can't see the cap being an issue.....
Totally agree. As the Tigers appear to have had a lack leadership until he came on the scene, he should be made an offer to stay another season and have a bit more pocket money to go with it. BT has held the side together on occasions when it looked like falling apart.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

What spoke volumes for me was his reaction after the final whistle had gone at the end of his home debut one of his first actions was to applaud the fans
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Very often the word legend is over used but in this case I believe it to be so. He has bought in to the Tigers ethos as he would have done with the All Blacks. Our reputation as a true RUBGY club attracts the best. He hasn't joined for the money - our NZ links must have helped as have the Oz ones with Lote Tuqiri et al. BT is a great player and although he may not play loads of games for us his influence is immense. As they say in cycling mon chapeau :smt001
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”