Toulon away leg

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

UpTheLowEnd

Re: Toulon away leg

Post by UpTheLowEnd »

sapajo wrote:Do we employ anyone at Tigers who is actually capable of coaching some semblance of an attack :smt017 Or has the club decided to let it rot on the vine enduring a slow death in favour of waiting for the messiah to arrive in time for next season :smt010
Its not an easy situation... you go from having 5 major coaches to having 3 in a very short period, the only backs coach being one with very limited experience.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

sapajo wrote:Do we employ anyone at Tigers who is actually capable of coaching some semblance of an attack :smt017 Or has the club decided to let it rot on the vine enduring a slow death in favour of waiting for the messiah to arrive in time for next season :smt010
Keep up at the back, we have a rookie holding the reins until the cavalry rides in from the southern hemisphere.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote:
Keep up at the back, we have a rookie holding the reins until the cavalry rides in from the southern hemisphere.
Keep up Burnie no flies on you :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

We did no worse than many French teams with 3 or 4 times our salary spend playing at Toulon. I think considering their 20 million plus spend we did well, I'd be really disappointed if I was Boujellal that they didn't score 4 or more tries!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

We blew it in the first 10 minutes by making too many errors. We went 16 points down but after that it was pretty much even and we shaded it 8-7! Losing Brad so early on must have given Toulon a boost. This was also a side which put 30+ points on Clermont just a few weeks ago.

It's typical that the usual moaners come on with the same gripe. As I said after last week we would probably lose this game but it is the floss to Scarlets which has done the damage. If we continue to get some of our players back then the Aviva Premiership is not a lost cause. As far as the European Cup is concerned the fat lady may be close to opening her mouth but she ain't started singing just yet.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

sapajo wrote:
RagingBull wrote: And imo another finisher next season Goneva isn't backing himself.
Goneva's body is on the pitch but where is his brain these days he killed a golden try scoring opportunity from Tait's break and knocked on frequently.
After the great initial break Tait butchered this by not drawing the defender, passing way too soon and leaving Goneva in no-mans land. Rest of the support was way too slow.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I can't see anything improving until Manu gets back and then it will be back to the one dimensional crash ball until he gets crocked again. We won't see any significant results from Mauger's influence until 2016.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Losing Brad so early on must have given Toulon a boost.
According to the BBC Thorn played a full match :smt017

I wasn't able to watch or listen to the match. Sounds like they did what we did to them last week in the first quarter. Unfortunately they didn't gift us a try to get us back in it. How many points did Williams miss with the boot? We said before the game we needed to kick our goals. He's not quite there yet so that is going to happen. Hopefully Gatland will go cold him on him now.

I think it's pointless worrying about whether we'll get through. We've got big Prem matches coming up now. More than ever we should be focusing game to game.

How did Parling and Croft do?
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

after watching the game i felt very dissapointed. The first 20 minutes was very sloppy are handiling was poor and we looked clueles in atack. fairplay to toulon they were very good at the breakdown and controlled large parts of the game. Williams didnt have a great game either. After playing well last week what happend? losing brad didnt help either he was the only one that would have stood up today. To answer your question ourla croft got on for ten minutes but didnt have much ball and didnt really do much. It wasnt his fault. parling looked good he controlled the lineout very well and was a leader when brad went. overall it wasnt a great game by leicester but we looked very strong in defence which is good considering it hasnt been great. But credit to toulon they played a good game.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cheers amazing tiger for the insight.

TBH the impression I am getting is that our up and down form continues. Some positives to take and some stuff that we need to improve on (again). Not really weathering that early storm, losing Thorn, Williams not nailing the kicks. But as you say defence still looking much more solid, forwards now a force and plenty of depth.

Saints is certainly going to be tough next week. They will have every reason to a) be confident and b) want to go for the jugular. After that semi last year and how things have gone since then I don't think they will have that fear factor that has arguably plagued them in the past.

That said, it may be just the game we need after this week. It might have been difficult for the team to get fired up after Toulon back to back. But going to FG will have them fully hyped up. We'll get hammered if there is some sort of hangover from Europe.
covrich

Post by covrich »

I think the fact we have failed to get a BP anywhere in this comp has made our chances diminished.

Yesterday we were outclassed, got exposed at the breakdown a lot and Williams had a shaky day at the office. I actually think we missed Thorn when he went off..

We desperately need a little more options at 13, we cannot just hope Manu comes in and creates magic, we need more options than that.

Saints like it or not are extremely well drilled. If we play like that again they will take us apart.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Well, that could have gone better. Unlike some on here I don't think that one swallow makes a spring and that after each decent performance declare that the corner has been turned. The Tigers juggernaut is proving to be pretty unwieldy in answering the helm.

The two Toulon games have served to show how effective Blake has been at Oval park and how good our defence has become. The forwards are looking more robust but we must keep Balmain's progress going and not rely on Cole so much lest we break him again. Sadly I agree that hope appears to be being pinned on a young Samoan returning to patch things up and boost the Tigers' bosh game, until he's crook again as covrich has said. remember Henry's time here?

Will we be a force in rugby again? Yes of course we will but it won't happen overnight - rugby ain't wot it used to be - and we have to have a fit squad . Will we win Europe again? Possibly but that is more in the hands of the rules within the various governing bodies re finance.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

GS wrote:Well, that could have gone better. Unlike some on here I don't think that one swallow makes a spring and that after each decent performance declare that the corner has been turned. The Tigers juggernaut is proving to be pretty unwieldy in answering the helm.

The two Toulon games have served to show how effective Blake has been at Oval park and how good our defence has become. The forwards are looking more robust but we must keep Balmain's progress going and not rely on Cole so much lest we break him again. Sadly I agree that hope appears to be being pinned on a young Samoan returning to patch things up and boost the Tigers' bosh game, until he's crook again as covrich has said. remember Henry's time here?

Will we be a force in rugby again? Yes of course we will but it won't happen overnight - rugby ain't wot it used to be - and we have to have a fit squad . Will we win Europe again? Possibly but that is more in the hands of the rules within the various governing bodies re finance.
Agreed.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

fentiger wrote:We did no worse than many French teams with 3 or 4 times our salary spend playing at Toulon. I think considering their 20 million plus spend we did well, I'd be really disappointed if I was Boujellal that they didn't score 4 or more tries!
Scarlets have a tiny tiny budget (compared with leicester, before we even try to compare it with the French big boys).and they did a lot better than you.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

GS wrote:Well, that could have gone better. Unlike some on here I don't think that one swallow makes a spring and that after each decent performance declare that the corner has been turned. The Tigers juggernaut is proving to be pretty unwieldy in answering the helm.

Nobody was suggesting we had turned the corner after the victory last week, but with some players returning there were signs of hope. Also as far as as relying only on Manu to fix things is a little unfair in that Hepetema, Bai and Loamanu are out injured as well which means we are probably down to 4th or 5th choice centre pairing. Also when these players come back they will need time to gain an understanding on the pitch. Even with a fully fit squad after Christmas I think we will struggle at times. The best hope is aim for top 4 and see what happens this season (IMHO)