Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

terracetiger
Tiger Cub

Toulon away - suggestions?

Post by terracetiger »

All booked up for next weekend. :smt026
Anyone have suggestions for drinking or eating in Toulon? :smt017
Got a free day Sunday - any suggestions for a visit (got a hire car) - thought St. Tropez for the day might be fun?? :smt001
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toulon away - suggestions?

Post by loretta »

Don't know about eating and drinking in Toulon, only used the ferry terminal really, but for a days drive and stunning scenery you could take a look at the Verdon gorge. Start at Castellane and drive via the cuisses (cliffs) and keep an eye out for vultures! A long day, admittedly, but worth it.

This time of year the "peaks" of St Tropez may be covered up!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Eating and drinking, you could do this at the marina quay, right next to the ground, restuarant after restaurant specializing in seafood etc, great moules and frittes! :smt045 :smt045

If you have not been to France before, watch out for eating on Sunday evening, many places are not open. :smt022
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

We went last time and are going again this time in the hope that we can find the kebab shop we went to last time after the game on the way back to the hotel - probably had too much to drink or the French made it disappear cos we couldn't find it again on the Sunday. We did find ourselves in the "red light" area where we were invited into a cafe to "have something to eat" by a rather attractive lady with a very short skirt. Didn't know we were in that sort of area till we looked around and saw the murals on the wall advertising condoms and their use!!!!! Honest Guv - we really didn't know and in case my wife is reading this we didn't go in and found a different kebab place near the harbour.

Seriously - plenty of places round the harbour and a little cafe next to the ground (up high on the left with the harbour at your back) which was selling bottles of wine at 5€ before the game and 6€ after the game. A good place to people watch and watch the teams arrive - the crowd go loopy.
Hehehehehehehehe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Yes their fans are very animated, watch out for those dressed as devils, they are quite intimidating, take your ear plugs their clappers are incessant . We will not be moved though, come on the Tigers, bring it on cant wait. :smt038
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Just go to the harbour side all the best restaurants are there and the vibe is really great. I have found memories of the ice cream parlours around there too :smt003 ..If I was you I would either weather pending check out Mont Faron (but not the zoo as has very small cages which the girlfriend found upsetting) not that I kept her in them for long :smt003 but the drive to St Tropez isn't bad and the views en route are pretty good!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

I wonder if the Cockers masks which were produced last year during his touchline ban are still available, and even more importantly, would it be wise to wear one next weekend in Toulon? I've still got mine but probably not the bottle!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TomWeston wrote:I wonder if the Cockers masks which were produced last year during his touchline ban are still available, and even more importantly, would it be wise to wear one next weekend in Toulon? I've still got mine but probably not the bottle!
What not even the bottle to go up and shake Castro's hand whilst wearing one? :smt047
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Castro's restaurant? Cockers will be in there having a pint after the game. :smt003
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
terracetiger
Tiger Cub

Post by terracetiger »

Looks like its down the harbour front for entertainment & St. Tropez on Sunday :smt041
Does 'The Black Tulip' restaurant ring a bell with anyone? Suggested to me on Sunday. :smt017
Vic

Post by Vic »

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of places to eat at the harbour, which is across the road from the ground. The Black Tulip restaurant had a large photo of Castro when we visited Toulon in October...

Anyone else getting the 6.55am plane from Stansted to Marseille on Saturday morning? Husband and I will be on it, looking bleary eyed.
terracetiger
Tiger Cub

Post by terracetiger »

Where is 'The Black Tulip' in relation to the ground? :smt017
Would like to see what its got to offer. :smt001
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

3 minutes walk according to Google Maps

La Tulipe Noire, 81 Quai Sinse, 83000 Toulon, France
Stade Mayol, Quai Joseph Lafontan, 83000 Toulon, France

4 reviews, 3 good, 1 very bad. So you have a 3 in 4 chance of a good meal lol
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Anyone else getting the 6.55am plane from Stansted to Marseille on Saturday morning?
7 of us getting on the Friday 6.55am flight from Stansted to Marseille so not sure if this is your (as I wasn't aware there was a Saturday flight).

On countdown now... and looking forward to the trip. Anyone know how many supporters we are taking? Suspect it will be relatively low given time of year, relatively inconsistent form ahead of recent wins, etc...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We caught the 6.55 this morning, left home 2.30, so very bleary eyed tonight, could be the vin rouge. Tulipe Noire is about the first restaurant in along the quay from the ground, it was closed tonight, as were others, but i guess will they will all be buzzing from tomorrow.