Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Why have players left Tigers?

Post by h's dad »

TigerCam wrote:
drc_007 wrote:George Ford wanted to be with his Dad at Bath. Nothing Tigers could do about that.
really?
Tigers could haved offered to make him the marquee player and guaranteed him starts ahead of the England number one. Not sure that would have been an intelligent option to select.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

northerntiger wrote:This has been debated ad nauseam on here, but Ford was way behind Toby when he was here, and didn't show the form he has shown at Bath. Some you win, some you lose. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can't think of any other player who has moved and looked better.
Thomas the Tank seems to have found a new lease of life. I'm not sure that Billy 36 is any better than he was here - he's just getting more opportunity.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Greenwood was way back. Waldron is looking like he did in his pomp for us, not better. Players will leave, for various reasons. We shouldn't agonise over it
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Players are employees i am sure all of you at some point in time have not being happy with your current/ previous employers for various reasons unfair work load, feel they are undervalued, could get paid more for doing the same job, see they have better career progression at a different club to name just a few!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Hinckley Bob wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Most Good players who are worth their salt will not hang around at a club waiting for a first XV or squad place. If the coach doesn't select them then they will look around for other opportunities. Of course we would like players to show their loyalty to a club like ardent fans do, but playing rugby is an addiction just like a drug. I felt rotten for a good year after I gave up playing at the age of 19 through work commitments. Unfortunately in those days i.e. the mid 1960's the game was amateur and you couldn't earn a living at it. These days players have to think of providing a good living for their family hence loyalty comes at a price.
Tigers have always operated on the principle that the best player gets the shirt, rather than the one that complains the most. Most buy into the ethos when they play for Tigers but a few think they deserve special treatment. Dan Cole referred recently to having to get past Castro and Whitey but it did not deter him and doubtless improved his game in getting there.
Dan was not hampered in his International aspirations by rotating with Castro and White.

In the case of players like Ford and Twelvetrees they clearly felt that remaining at the club would not help their chances internationally. I would say in that respect both players made the right choice for themselves.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Sajerj wrote:
Hinckley Bob wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Most Good players who are worth their salt will not hang around at a club waiting for a first XV or squad place. If the coach doesn't select them then they will look around for other opportunities. Of course we would like players to show their loyalty to a club like ardent fans do, but playing rugby is an addiction just like a drug. I felt rotten for a good year after I gave up playing at the age of 19 through work commitments. Unfortunately in those days i.e. the mid 1960's the game was amateur and you couldn't earn a living at it. These days players have to think of providing a good living for their family hence loyalty comes at a price.
Tigers have always operated on the principle that the best player gets the shirt, rather than the one that complains the most. Most buy into the ethos when they play for Tigers but a few think they deserve special treatment. Dan Cole referred recently to having to get past Castro and Whitey but it did not deter him and doubtless improved his game in getting there.
Dan was not hampered in his International aspirations by rotating with Castro and White.

In the case of players like Ford and Twelvetrees they clearly felt that remaining at the club would not help their chances internationally. I would say in that respect both players made the right choice for themselves.

Had he been as inpatient at Ford's age, Dan might have thought so.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Ford had stayed he would have been a international 10 at the same time as he is now imo.

RE: Waldrom pretty sure that Leicester had a choice between him and Crane, and Crane was willing to take a pay cut in return of a testimonial year, IMO Waldrom would not have been the 8 we needed start of season.

Waldrom and Ewers are very good together as 8 and 6.
Waldrom and Croft or Gibson imo would have been to lightweight for us.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

h's dad wrote:
TigerCam wrote:
drc_007 wrote:George Ford wanted to be with his Dad at Bath. Nothing Tigers could do about that.
really?
Tigers could haved offered to make him the marquee player and guaranteed him starts ahead of the England number one. Not sure that would have been an intelligent option to select.
Yeah, offer it to all the academy internationals... And be making a steady loss every year. Not very intelligent. He wasn't prepared to fight for the right to wear the shirt; allegedly a similar situation to 36.

Very few of the ex-academy chaps who have left would be gauranteed starters - GF possibly the only one as we probably wouldn't have signed OW if he'd stayed. Scott Steele would probably still be 4th or maybe 3rd choice 9. Purdy wouldn't be 1st choice at 13 (some geezer Tuilagi hogs his slot) or wing.

At the end of the day though, it's money, and young doesn't necessarily mean cheap in the long term.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

h's dad wrote:
TigerCam wrote:
really?
Yeah, offer it to all the academy internationals... And be making a steady loss every year. Not very intelligent. He wasn't prepared to fight for the right to wear the shirt; allegedly a similar situation to 36.

Very few of the ex-academy chaps who have left would be gauranteed starters - GF possibly the only one as we probably wouldn't have signed OW if he'd stayed. Scott Steele would probably still be 4th or maybe 3rd choice 9. Purdy wouldn't be 1st choice at 13 (some geezer Tuilagi hogs his slot) or wing.

At the end of the day though, it's money, and young doesn't necessarily mean cheap in the long term.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

We offered Waldrom a 1 year renewal, Chiefs offered him three.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Re George Ford,
When you have a diamond in your club you are absolutely stupid to let him go elsewhere.
He should have been given a decent three or more year contract long before his father went to Bath.
In wendyball terms it was like Man United letting George Best sign for another club in the days before he established himself in the first team.
He was the young European player of the year for heaven's sake.
We all new he was going to be a great player.
He should have been so tied in to a contract at Tigers, there was not a cat in hell's chance
he would go to Baaarth or anywhere else.
This is what annoys so many of us. Inept man management.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Smudge wrote:Re George Ford,
When you have a diamond in your club you are absolutely stupid to let him go elsewhere.
He should have been given a decent three or more year contract long before his father went to Bath.
In wendyball terms it was like Man United letting George Best sign for another club in the days before he established himself in the first team.
He was the young European player of the year for heaven's sake.
We all new he was going to be a great player.
He should have been so tied in to a contract at Tigers, there was not a cat in hell's chance
he would go to Baaarth or anywhere else.
This is what annoys so many of us. Inept man management.
The boy didn't want to fight for the place and the shirt so he left, good luck to him. He's gone, probably never to return, we just beat the back to back European Champions without him, so all is not lost, time some learnt to move on.
Instead of popping in here, having a pop at the management then ducking out again, why not visit the thread applauding our teams great victory ?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

In answer to the original question: according to Castro not for the money :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt017
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Think Castro has said why he left tonight at the press conference.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... erill.html
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

divingrob wrote:Think Castro has said why he left tonight at the press conference.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... erill.html
We know we read it, he was half way through his contract and wanted to leave and he assumed that Toulon would buy out his contract, he was wrong. Someone badly advised him and he blames Cockers and clearly can't learn from his mistake and get on with it. Add insult to injury and he is played off the park. I think he should try to just get on with his life, he clearly hasn't moved on, maybe his move to Toulon hasn't been quite what he had hoped for I guess.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.