Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Post by GS »

Yeh yeh yeh. The boys are coming back hallelujah. As those who were there have said it was pretty carp, Pearce looked about done after 10 mins, but did look promising. Tait good under the high ball. Forwards looked good to begin with but did fade a little (should Balmain have come on to relieve Cole, I think so). And so it goes on.....

We've not turned the corner, but I think we've shown signs of turning the steering wheel. If I was watching that for Toulon I would say don't sweat, just send the 2nds, they'll do the job - we just didn't look convincing. We could argue about the Benjamin 'try', I'm with the 'yes he did touch it down, but the tackle was high so a penalty try justified' school. But that's all academic. As I have said before, the result in tomorrow's papers is important, but the way we played is the message of intent. The message at the moment is 'We'll take if it comes but we won't force it, what the hell'. Not good enough, not good enough at all.

If we have to wait for next season then so be it, but it will have to be a good season in that case. At the moment I see a good group of players but I still don't see a (consistently) good team.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Wasps have beaten both Saints and Bath this season so they are no mugs. They have always been a fiercely competitive and disruptive side to play against and I never expected a free flowing match. A four point win is great even if the performance was less than hoped for.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

An uninspiring performance for sure. TBH we started solid, looked confortable and had a solid platform. Failing to nail a try just before half time after the best attack of the half and then conceding sloppily at the start of the second suddenly put us in to deficit. I thought we responded reasonably well, enough to win a couple more pens. But then we conceded a couple of our own. So, essentially we never got into a relaxed and confident position. And in the end a victory was a relief.

There were a number of OK performances. Mele was poor and Harrison was a breath of fresh air. Though even he managed to knock on when we had good field position.

I thought Pearce looked promising. Couple of handling errors but you'd expect that given is experience.

Sure our backs aren't setting the world alight right now but Steenson slapped over 9 penalties to beat Sarries and I suspect the Chiefs faithful are more than happy with that.

Saying our backs are the worst in the league is nonsense.

Rather amusingly after I'd clapped the team onto the pitch, the guy in front of me told me it was "deafening" said in a manner that suggested he wasn't too happy. What can you say.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

tigerburnie wrote:The result was all that mattered, closely followed by no injuries, so we made a significant step in the right direction and I will take the points with a smile.
Totally different game next week, will be interesting how the returnees are used, I presume that we will be pretty much at full strength, bar Manu, Logi and Slates, so not a bad position.
Congratulations on your unending optimism. Such a shame that no-one who was actually at the game shares it. When will reality cross the border into Scotland?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:Saying our backs are the worst in the league is nonsense
Our back play is consistently poor and that is certainly not nonsense. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

GS wrote:
Congratulations on your unending optimism. Such a shame that no-one who was actually at the game shares it. When will reality cross the border into Scotland?
Sorry but who are you to speak for all who were actually at the game. I was there and so were my friends and considering the season so far a win is a win and we will take it. It puts us joint 4th at the moment and keeps us in touch for a play-of place. Sometimes we have to win ugly. Today we won and it also puts a gap between us the teams below us especially with Quins losing last night. Take into account the fact that Bath and Exeter still have to come here and the top 2 is still not beyond our reach. Will it matter if we dont score any tries in the next 10 games but keep winning? It wont to me and my friends that come to the game. I will not care if our forwards keep the ball and keep winning penalties and win games for us. The backs can stand and watch until the final where they can come alive and help destroy the opposition.

Exeter fans must be depressed because they scored 9 penalties and Sarries actually managed to score a try. But hey guess what Sarries lost.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Doghashadhisday wrote:
GS wrote:
The backs can stand and watch until the final where they can come alive and help destroy the opposition.
Well it is down to a fans expectation but this is pure fantasy.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Sorry Dog, I missed your earlier post praising the performance :smt003 Anywho, I've not spoken to, or read on here, anyone who saw it as a performance that could lead to optimism for next week. I stand by my assertion that there's still a way to go before we look good as a consistently good team.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

There was a fantastic interview with Richard Cockerill on Radio Leicester after the game.

He basically said that some individuals need to take a look at themselves as they are not turning up. This also backs up what Thorn said about some players after the Scarlets game where some players went missing.

I don't think there is a more honest, down to Earth coach in Rugby or sport than Cockerill. When he asked if there were any positives to take out of todays game he said, Owen Williams kicking but that's it, there were no others, 20,000 people could see that today.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

sapajo wrote:160 home minutes of Rugby without even a try :smt011
Including the Welsh and Sale matches, it's now 254 minutes of rugby without a try from the backs.
Dominichi
Tiger Cub

Post by Dominichi »

Am trying to remain positive but I think yesterday we may have seen our last victory of 2014. We have a really difficult run of fixtures in December and am not sure where our next victory is coming from.

I don't think we'll get mullered as defence has come a long way, and with Owen kicking the way he is we'll be in with a shout, but might be a while before we see another win.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

GS wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:The result was all that mattered, closely followed by no injuries, so we made a significant step in the right direction and I will take the points with a smile.
Totally different game next week, will be interesting how the returnees are used, I presume that we will be pretty much at full strength, bar Manu, Logi and Slates, so not a bad position.
Thank you GS,having followed the Tigers for many a decade, I don't see anything to be depressed about. I'm used to the Tigers winning ugly and as an ex forward, was never that impressed with the girls running about whingeing they were cold.
Toulon next week will be a big ask, same as any European game, will we win it, well why bother turning up if you don't think you can?

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRrrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
(Oh and by the way my brother is getting me a ticket for the game)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Totally agree. Any win will do at the moment. The flowing rugby can come later. Williams great kicking today and very few other kickers would have won us the game like he did today. With Bell surely to come in at full back we will have two great kickers. Great too to see Any Goode still strutting his stuff. His running lines and pass as well as ability to bring players onto the ball a pace still better than any fly-half in the league. Not a great game but improved in intensity with Harrison's arrival.
covrich

Post by covrich »

I will take any win at the minute and one against Wasps who are looking a decent side isn't a bad result..

However we do need to improve if we want to seriously think about any kind of results against Toulon and Saints..

I didn't see / hear much from yesterday sadly but from here it doesn't sound like much improved from previous weeks.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

mike wrote:We were poor and the returnees didn't improve our performance .Front row struggled ,lineout good again , backs completely anonymous in attack as usual. Tait was good in defence as were the rest , but in attack we are completely devoid of ambition. I disagree about Pearce , he made a few handling errors but carried well and given a decent run in the side he will improve - better than Crane already ! .Things brightened up when Harrison came on - mele just not sharp/quick enough again - just what has Harrison done to upset Cockerill ?
Why do you think he has upset him - he has been struggling with an injury and this was his first game fit for some time.
Less is more....