Burgess on the bench

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Burgess on the bench

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote:Manu and Eastmond look very good together in the first AB game if only Lanacaster had the guts to have kept them.
Manu's threat kept the defence from targeting Eastmond and he got the chance to run at them. I think Manu is our ONLY back that puts the wind up the ABs.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Burgess on the park!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Bath have made a real meal out of getting the fourth try! Really couldn't take advantage even when Quins were down to 12 men! I'm not sure they weren't helped by Mr Barnes obvious reluctance to award a penalty try :smt017
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerLad wrote: He'd have his work cut out to replace AA. Eastmond is a wonderful player to watch and has a great step and speed. But that's only part of what a 12 does. Can he organise the defense like AA? I very much doubt it. I think he'd be a great signing for us but he needs to improve that side of his game to be a regular starter for England rather than a stopgap for injuries.
just staying fit would make him replace AA, his recent injury record is shocking, were Eastmond here once he got in AA would have a hard time getting back in
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I rate Eastmond, he has improved immensely, and is a successful conversion. We should make a play for him IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
TigerLad wrote: He'd have his work cut out to replace AA. Eastmond is a wonderful player to watch and has a great step and speed. But that's only part of what a 12 does. Can he organise the defense like AA? I very much doubt it. I think he'd be a great signing for us but he needs to improve that side of his game to be a regular starter for England rather than a stopgap for injuries.
just staying fit would make him replace AA, his recent injury record is shocking, were Eastmond here once he got in AA would have a hard time getting back in
So is Manu's. He has been predominantly injured since the Lions tour 2013. He has started only three of England's last sixteen games. If you compare that record to somebody like Conrad Smith, who has played nineteen times for the AB in the same period, you can get a feel for how hard it is for England and Tigers to make plans.

I do agree with JGRIFFIN that Eastmond has improved a lot, and whilst my opinion is all round game falls short at top international level, I would happily see him at Tigers for his attacking threat.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Sajerj wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:
So is Manu's. He has been predominantly injured since the Lions tour 2013. He has started only three of England's last sixteen games. If you compare that record to somebody like Conrad Smith, who has played nineteen times for the AB in the same period, you can get a feel for how hard it is for England and Tigers to make plans.

I do agree with JGRIFFIN that Eastmond has improved a lot, and whilst my opinion is all round game falls short at top international level, I would happily see him at Tigers for his attacking threat.
I did think of that after posting it would probably end up with AA or Manu @ 13 depending on who ever could run that week
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Where did they play Burgess? I would guess he is a outside center?
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

He didn't look like a centre at all to me. Not quick and a little ponderous.If he can learn quickly, no.8 or blindside
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Spicer wrote:Where did they play Burgess? I would guess he is a outside center?
12, as he did last night. Eastmond went to 10 and Devoto to 15. Not a terrible start for him, with two strong carries, and a third which resulted in a beautiful off-load to his right (or it would have been beautiful had it actually been directed at a Bath player!).