Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

NZ should revert to the traditional Haka for RWC

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KltiglH6TW0
For those that think NZ should retain their traditional Haka. I agree providing that they use the version shown here in 1973. The current version is far away from this traditional version. Here's hoping that NZ revert to this version for the RWC.
The fact that their 1973 team appears to have no South Sea Islanders may have something to do with it.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: NZ should revert to the traditional Haka for RWC

Post by Doghashadhisday »

That was scary! :smt001
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You can tell that most of them had never seen it before, let alone practised it, embarrasing really.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

I'd just ban it for competition games.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree that the opposition would need to control their laughter enough to field the kick off.
What I object to is people defending the current Haka as something we should stand and watch in silence without any response because it is tradition. Let them do this traditional Haka and I will not believe they get any advantage :smt001
Last edited by Jeremy Anderson on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

divingrob wrote:I'd just ban it for competition games.
But then how would they get an advantage before the game has even started? In all seriousness if they want to dance about making silly faces that's fine. The opposition should be able to do what they want to do though. If they want to warm up, face up to it or simply not pay any attention then they should be able to do. The current rules are pathetic.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

the whole thing is a ridiculous anachronism in the modern professional world and I have no idea why everyone else is enforced to endure it - it they want to come out and entertain their fans before the game then that is up to them - it should be prior to coming out the tunnel and the anthems _ if I was the skipper _ I would refuse to watch it - i would take my guys up the other end of the field and warm up

Although having said that - the air guitar from 1973 would be an even greater entertainment value - one for the comedy festival I think
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KltiglH6TW0
For those that think NZ should retain their traditional Haka. I agree providing that they use the version shown here in 1973. The current version is far away from this traditional version. Here's hoping that NZ revert to this version for the RWC.
The fact that their 1973 team appears to have no South Sea Islanders may have something to do with it.
I beg to differ the current All Black's Haka is a correct rendition of the traditional Maori war dance performed to strike fear in their enemies. The current version is culturally and historically accurately performed, the 1973 version was pathetic! Check this out if you don't believe me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI851yJUQQw
Last edited by sapajo on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Manu's thumbs-up and applause ws a dignified and correct response IMO. Personally I think it should be banned.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

"I beg to differ the current All Black's Haka is a correct rendition of the traditional Maori war dance performed to strike fear in their enemies. The current version is culturally and historically accurately performed the 1973 version was pathetic. Check this out if you don't believe me"

I agree today is more traditional Maori however you seem to agree it is not traditional All Blacks which is what they argue as a reason to be allowed to do the Haka after all the national anthems with the opposition being given no right of reply. IMO for home matches they can call it how they want but for away matches they should sign up for whatever the home team decides. For example at Twickenham the Haka (if they want to do it) followed by national anthems then NZ standing still to hear a mass rendition of Jerusalem or Swing Low.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's not just NZ that have a dance before the game, I have found them a great part of the game for decades. I do not however feel that any of them are "precious", but I wouldn't want any team to be openly disrespectful, that is not the Rugby way. What would I do if I was ever good enough to face any of the Polynesians war challenges? Watch them, probably with my eyes fixed on my opposite number and then try to make them wish they'd not turned up.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

The French response last WC final sent shivers down my spine!

There should be no rules as to how you respond, or not as the case maybe, but I don't think it should disappear.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

I believe the French were fined after the match!
Tigers - true Champions!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm of the view that if they want to have their little dance fine, but don't expect the opposition to stand around and watch or be expected to come out early.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Please New Zealand don't go down the road of political correctness that has ruined our country, maintain your traditions and forget updating the Haka.